The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:14:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Bowl Show 2011  (Read 18390 times)
N6WDR

N6WDR World Domination Radio

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 08:26:39 PM »

I would have to say the Eagles are my #1 choice, I seen them in 1980 during there Long Run Tour and again in 2008.
My #2 choice would be Rush, something about three guys that make so much music and sound like 6 people playing.

Richard

SSB is for Sissy's... AM Is For Real Men
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 09:00:49 PM »

Wanna do 80s?

Areosmith, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, Boston, Styx, Foreigner, Bob Seger, Kiss, Journey, Toto, Kansas, Heart, REO Speedwagon, Asia, Peter Frampton, Def Leppard, Kansas, Boston, BTO, Led Zeppelin, Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Trick, Pat Benetar, Heart, Foreigner,  Lynard Skynard, Joe Walsh, Grateful Dead and Genesis. Some of my faves.

Saw the Doors at Chicago Stadium, old home of the Blackhawks. Morrison was so totally smashed drunk that he was hanging on to the mic stand just to stand up.

Saw Hendrix in a small Chicago venue, the Electric Theater. Listened to an 8-track of Electric Ladyland on the way there. Pulled over and frisked by Chicago Cops, then let go- LOL.  Jerks. The dumped the ashtray of our '66 Corvair on the floor to check out the butts. What I remember most was the glow from the backside his bank of Marshall amps. The screens of those 6L6GCs and 8550s were flashing yellow. I should have snagged the scorched guitar he set on fire at the end.

John Prine and Steve Goodman in a small Chicago bar where they passed the hat to pay them. (You woulda have to be a Cubs fan to be there). A musician friend told me that I absolutely had to see these guys.

Shit. I'm getting old. Thank God I still work in FM radio to preserve my sanity.
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 09:17:07 PM »

I saw one of the last Dead concerts in Charlotte, NC. Have a good friend who played in a band with Mickey Hart  before he joined the Dead. I spent the intermission in Mickey Harts dressing room. Each band member had a private dressing room. Garcia died a week or so later.

Have built a couple of amplifiers for Joe Walsh - he emailed me out of the blue - a real nice guy. I still have his cell phone number.

One of the best concerts that I remember was the Eagles in the mid 70s. Also the Stones in the early 70s.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 10:57:04 PM »

The po-jama people are boring me to pieces.
I feel like I am wasting my time.
They all got flannel up an down 'em,
a little trap door back around 'em,
and some cozy little footies on their mind.

Frank Zappa, quite a genius of music.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 01:32:55 AM »

I saw the Dead a number of times. 2 songs to get it into high gear then they rocked until the town turned off the lights

They gave a free live daytime outdoor concert in Nashville one summer in the early 70's. Some kind of municipal or charitable event I think.  It was a cool occasion to hang out, but I wasn't impressed with their performance.  Sounded more like background music.  Nothing to compare to their recorded stuff. Since it was a free gig, they probably weren't paid a lot of bux by whoever sponsored it and maybe didn't make any effort to be at their best.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 09:35:07 AM »

"Back in 1972 I was at summer camp in Syracuse Indiana with John Mellencamp"

You ought to make a movie  and write a book about that trip.
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 04:42:41 PM »

John Mellencamp has a badass band himself and also does a great show.

The Marshall Tucker band from here in Spartanburg did some good shows. Many of them are dead now and they are all about my age (59). Two accidents and cancer.  Paul Riddle, the drummer is a good friend.

I saw their last concert together here in Spartanburg back around 1982 - It was a really good show. It was the last time the original band members played together (minus Tommy Cauldwel who was killed around 1975 in an auto accident).
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 09:24:55 PM »

Danny Gatton, any number of times I saw him at clubs in DC - 1000 times better than the big name, hyped-up corporate rock bands that pass/passed for music.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 10:43:45 PM »

The best live show I ever been to had to be the night Peter Frampton played at the Scranton CYC. He went 2½ hours without a break. He stopped for about 5 minutes and did another 45 minute encore! Nothing fancy, no laser show, just him and his band. This is when he was at the height of his career. Damn good show! I bet he would have been awesome with Humble Pie.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 11:27:18 PM »

I enjoyed Carlos Santana 5 years in a row in the early 90s... that was before his big "Supernatural" tour where he teamed up with all the youngsters.  An especially memorable show was when Jeff Beck opened the show.

I was able to experience the Dead in 1993 and the show was actually pretty good, Sting opened up for them.  What really made the Dead was the atmosphere and crowd.  I was about to turn 3 years old when Woodstock occured.  The Dead seemed to capture the spirit of the psychedelic '60s in some strange bubble that they moved around with them as they toured.  Funny thing is I didn't especially care for their brand of eclectic americana musical influences until I actually saw them.  The enthusiam of their Deadheads dancing and smiling and flashing good will surely helped influence my conversion.

Still, I think Carlos Santana's guitar playing was the best that I've ever heard live.

AMI#1684
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2010, 05:43:02 AM »

Maybe greatest studio band. I don't think those guys could play live with all those special effects, overdubbing and track layering.

Pink Floyd
AHHHHHHHH Boston?Huh I know bubblegum music

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010, 05:44:04 AM »

Danny Gatton, any number of times I saw him at clubs in DC - 1000 times better than the big name, hyped-up corporate rock bands that pass/passed for music.

Another Master of the Telecaster: Roy Buchanan.
Saw him a few times in the early 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDOIL5OqvYs&playnext=1&list=PLEBDE980727DD5C93&index=2

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 05:46:14 AM »

I saw the Dead a number of times. 2 songs to get it into high gear then they rocked until the town turned off the lights

They gave a free live daytime outdoor concert in Nashville one summer in the early 70's. Some kind of municipal or charitable event I think.  It was a cool occasion to hang out, but I wasn't impressed with their performance.  Sounded more like background music.  Nothing to compare to their recorded stuff. Since it was a free gig, they probably weren't paid a lot of bux by whoever sponsored it and maybe didn't make any effort to be at their best.
Did they have that monster sound system for the FREEBIE, Don?
FRED

Fred KC4MOP
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2010, 06:24:44 PM »

The Grateful Dead certainly had a lot of followers "Dead Heads", but their music was really boring to listen to especially when live.

Great band, but they never really produced anything all that exciting.

You're supposed to drink the Kool-Aid Brian.  That's the key!

AMI#1684
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2010, 07:03:13 PM »

Great band, but they never really produced anything all that exciting.

Quite a contradiction - great but not exciting. What would they be if they were exciting. Intergalactic?
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2010, 12:08:07 PM »

Did you ever see them live?

They were a Jam band and a damn good one. I don't think they ever had a top ten hit. That isn't what the Dead was all about.

Phish was the same type band.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010, 06:30:18 PM »

Strange thing about the Grateful Dead...

One either "gets it" or doesn't.  Obviously Brian just never "got it".  It's not his fault.

AMI#1684
W3SLK

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2010, 07:25:47 PM »

John said:
Obviously Brian just never "got it".  It's not his fault.

Ahhhh, he just didn't drop enough window pane!  Shocked

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Detroit47

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2010, 09:32:04 PM »

How about Mott the Hoople & Ian Hunter, They opened up for Heart at Cobo Hall in Detroit. I left when Heart came out.

N8QPC
WA1GFZ

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »

The stones did a half time show a few years ago. They really sucked
I would love to see heart live.
W3SLK

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2010, 09:44:18 PM »

Detroit47 said:
How about Mott the Hoople & Ian Hunter, They opened up for Heart at Cobo Hall in Detroit. I left when Heart came out.

Damn straight! Especially if Mick Ralphs was playing with them. I saw Heart out at in CA, with Ozzie, Tommy Tutone and Journey at the Candlestick!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Ed W1XAW
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2010, 09:46:30 PM »

Love the Dead but was never big on the scene.   I only attended a single show and thought it was poser central with every meathead and yuppi running around in tie dye.  I beg to differ on the music however.   Some of my favorite music comes from Archive.org and the live dead shows are absolute gems.   Phil Lesh's bass-lines are not your standard fare but complex counter-melodies that test your reaction to a less predictable world. . .pretty interesting and hard to pull off.   Jerry Garcia's leads, while not always the most technically proficient (but sometimes extremely so), are mind-searing in their intuitive improvisation.  Using two drummers makes the rhythm hard to duplicate.   I suspect that some of the people that don't like the band don't like the style of music which is a bit off the main road.  The genre blends jazz, traditional old timey themes, poetry and rock and roll.   It's a lot of things but its not background music.  Maybe it's not for everybody but separate the music from the side show and in my mind its relevant.  The side show that developed around the music is as culturally relevant as Woodstock . . .just not my cup of tea.

By the way, the Stone's must have thought something about Black Eyed Pea's to have them kick off the tour in Boston back in 2005.  
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2010, 09:52:14 PM »

Ed, you know it's not music unless the performers are dressed in spandex and the song is no more than three minutes and twenty seconds.
Ed W1XAW
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2010, 10:04:20 PM »

Ed, you know it's not music unless the performers are dressed in spandex and the song is no more than three minutes and twenty seconds.

That would be Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas and that spandex is filled out silly . . .yah mon.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2010, 11:23:36 PM »

S,

I prefer to feel free.

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015