The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:31:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tower damage  (Read 14399 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 08:24:26 PM »

Good point about the power brakes analogy.

A good thang is the 45 degree twist was absorbed by a long shaft. If it was real short, the internal damage would be more focused.

Yes, wire cable would work, though I think a steel rod would hold well too.  Bolting either one the full length is a good idea.

So looks like it will be a relatively painless repair. Now flag it like Times Square and it won't happen again... Wink

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »

Actually, I was thinking more along the line of a solid piece of hot-dipped 5/8" rod, but clamping the two rods together with the cable clamps. The bracket that goes with the clamps is formed to grip a round object, plus the indentations on the bracket for the cable strands would act like teeth to bite into the solid metal.  The problem with stranded cable as a reinforcement bar is that it would rust through long before a solid rod would, since so much more of the steel in a cable is surface area that would be directly exposed to minerals in the soil.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 08:59:24 PM »

my experience with this kind of hardware and forces is zero but intuitively I would be very uncomfortable using any compression friction method fail-safe.  I would investigate having a reinforcing rod added on by welding.  I do not know it this kind of steel can withstand that but I would certainly find out as to me that would be far better than any nut and bolt clamp method and the whole shooting match rides on that one 8 or 9/16 inch rod.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 09:50:51 PM »

Don,

Is it possible that the rod is rotating in the concrete ?  I've not seen a real-deal Rohn anchor rod,  perhaps it has deformations as does ReBar,  which should help keep it put,  but had to ask.

Sorry to hear about the  issue.  Know that that tower  has been up for a long time -- a testiment to you having done it well to start with.  Too bad that now you need to worry about it.

73  GL  Vic
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 11:10:49 PM »

I'd also do what Tom I think recommended which was to take the screw driver and put a little rotational force on the other two eq. plates just enough to get some sense of how easily they would twist.

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 11:31:45 PM »

The only problem with the chain link fence is that without  some way to  get a mower in, weeds will grow 10 ft. tall and before you know it trees will be growing in the spot.  I think the farmer may have been letting his kid who is still in high school do the mowing. Figures.

The fix is 4 legged and simple.

1 to many goats.

--Shane
KD6VXI
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 12:14:12 AM »

The anchor rod has a couple of 90° bends right at the end, so it couldn't rotate in the concrete unless it is corroded in two.  In that case, it probably would have pulled free of the concrete long ago.

The problem I see with welding is that from my experience, welded steel seems to rust easily, and this thing will be buried underground in direct contact with the soil. The heat most likely burns away some of the carbon or alters the crystalline structure of the steel. It would certainly burn away any remnants of the galvanising on either rod.

The clamped rod couldn't hurt anything, but I don't trust it as a 100% effective backup. OTOH, there is no guarantee that the original rod has, nor that it has not, been significantly compromised.

They do make 5/8" clamps, and HD galvanised ground rods are listed as 5/8" diameter. The appropriate length could be sawed from the bottom end, and the sawed through part allowed to extend above grade where it wouldn't be in direct contact with the soil.

Ground clamps installed below grade seem to work loose over time.  Not sure if steel-on-steel U-bolt clamps would do the same or not.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 08:13:25 AM »

The problem I see with welding is that from my experience, welded steel seems to rust easily, and this thing will be buried underground in direct contact with the soil. The heat most likely burns away some of the carbon or alters the crystalline structure of the steel. It would certainly burn away any remnants of the galvanising on either rod.

The clamped rod couldn't hurt anything, but I don't trust it as a 100% effective backup. OTOH, there is no guarantee that the original rod has, nor that it has not, been significantly compromised.

Ground clamps installed below grade seem to work loose over time.  Not sure if steel-on-steel U-bolt clamps would do the same or not.

Clamps below grade in the freeze thaw cycles will probably work loose.  you could try lock washers.

Well, I don't want to tell you what to do Don, since you've been at this a long time.  It might not hurt to step back and consider out of the box options.  Example:  You can easily solve any burial problem by simply pouring concrete right up to ground surface to cover a weld after you spray it with cold galv. spray.  Since you seem uncertain on how to proceed, I'd weigh the cost of consulting a professional with the cost and labor involved with replacing the tower, insulator (I know you have a spare fortunately) and possibly the dog house (if a guy cable slices through it).  R25 is over $100 / section now.  Not sure if you want to climb and hoist with a gin pole or not.  Next to that a few hundred bucks to have someone who services commercial towers look at it might be a bargain.  He might say it's fine leave it alone and charge you an hour minimum.  He might have a method you and everyone else here never even thought of.  Expert eyes and hands on the scene can be valuable.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 03:05:59 PM »

I finished the dig this morning, and cleaned mud off the rod and concrete entry point.  No sign of cracks or surface damage, and the rod looks sound all the way to the concrete, but the zinc appears to be all gone below grade. I scraped on the rod, and it looks more like I exposed bright steel than zinc.

The rod clearly has some bend down to where the dirt was hard and compacted.  It looks like the impact and subsequent straightening of the plate cause more of a spiral bend than a twist in the rod, probably negligible weakening.

Using a crow bar about the same length as the screw driver, I tried twisting on one of the undamaged anchors and then the damaged one. They both had the same feel and give, although I was careful not to apply enough torque to permanently bend anything.

I plan to show the farmer the damage, and if I can find a professional tower installer to look at it (this should be at the farmer's expense), follow his advice, maybe loosely filling the hole in the meantime if I can't find anyone right away. After closely inspecting the rod, I am not so worried that it on the verge of pulling apart with the slightest breeze.

Here are  some shots I took this morning.

* bend in rod.jpg (1131.55 KB, 2576x1716 - viewed 589 times.)

* exit point closeup.jpg (1134.65 KB, 2576x1716 - viewed 560 times.)

* exit from soil.jpg (1100.92 KB, 2576x1716 - viewed 556 times.)

- - -
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 07:06:06 PM »

This is great; bet you are relieved--I sure would be  Grin   Also, this means at least one anchor hasn't been cathodically eaten away like in that QST article.  Bet when all is said and done, you have four or more fat concrete filled pipes sticking up out of the ground around each of those anchors hi hi.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015