The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:11:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: b  (Read 4590 times)
ve8xj

b
« on: October 06, 2010, 01:01:33 PM »

I
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 04:51:11 PM »

I would experiment.  Set it close enough that it sparks whenever the transmitter plate supply is turned on, then widen the gap just a little past the point where it quits sparking under normal conditions.  Should be somewhere between 1/16" and 1/8".

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 05:55:58 PM »

the Johnson 500 has 2 gaps .... the one across the mod xfmr is set at .018" .... seems pretty close ... this should still be useful as the plate impedances and power levels are similar to BC610  

the gap you are concerned with is in the power supply filter choke and gets tickled each time the transmitter is unkeyed .... the choke is rated at 7kv as I recall .... the .125" sounds more like it but I think this calls for a transient snubber on the choke to remove this unnecessary stress

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 12:05:32 PM »

The BC-610 C & D models do not have a spark gap on the reactor. On my C model, now sold, a carbon path from one of the terminals to the chassis was created. I did my best dentistry on the burn area and put something on it. Forgot what I used but never had a problem thereafter.

I don't believe any of the 610 series have spark gaps on the modulation transformer primary. What I did to protect the transformer was to place on each heat dissipation plate cap a piece of # 22 gauge wire that would go over to the other other cap midway with a bend in it.  I separated both bent wires spaced the thickness of a match book cover. I would hear them snap from time to time knowing they were doing their job. I think the match book setting would also be good on a reactor in a 610 at their voltage levels.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 05:18:35 PM »

My "E" does not have em' either.

Must have been a Korea thing.

/Dan
K9PNP

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 08:46:32 PM »

Out of curiosity I looked at the Tech Manual [TM 11-826] for the E thru I versions.  All it says about the spark gap is "In the H and I models, filter choke L4 has a closely spaced spark gap across its terminals."  There are no further references to it except in the same paragraph explaining why it's there.  According to the specs for those models, L4 is rated at 10KV.  For the earlier models [A thru D and some of the E's] it was rated at 5 KV.  So much for the Tech Manual answer, which I presume agrees with yours.  If I could remember what the breakdown voltage of air was, I could compute the spacing roughly.  It's unusual that the military then did not make a comment of maintaining the spark gap; they did everything else.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
ve8xj

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 01:07:17 PM »

[connector!!
ve8xj

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 01:10:27 PM »

Out of curiosity I looked at the Tech Manual [TM 11-826] for the E thru I versions.  All it says about the spark gap is "In the H and I models, filter choke L4 has a closely spaced spark gap across its terminals."  There are no further references to it except in the same paragraph explaining why it's there.  According to the specs for those models, L4 is rated at 10KV.  For the earlier models [A thru D and some of the E's] it was rated at 5 KV.  So much for the Tech Manual answer, which I presume agrees with yours.  If I could remember what the breakdown voltage of air was, I could compute the spacing roughly.  It's unusual that the military then did not make a comment of maintaining the spark gap; they did everything else.

Must be like the R-390 s-meters Top Secret!! The height of spark gap technology. In the end it wasn't my problem , got the rig up and going.But I certainly learned something.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015