The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:14:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: came home from work today, Tower down.  (Read 23611 times)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2010, 08:14:28 AM »

" It's becoming common for wires to corrode from the inside out around here, as the wicking action of stranded wire sucks the salt solution right up into the wires. You can power-wash your undercarriage all you want, there's no getting it out once it's in. "

I can't use my auto door opener and the 2WD to 4WD switch won't switch anything......
(The critters ate up my auto repare fund this spring so the 4WD will hafta pine for the money.)

klc

What? Me worry?
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2010, 10:59:30 AM »

Yesterday we spent 6 hours building the GAP voyager antenna.  Lots of parts. Crappy instructions. This thing is 45 ft long and real flimsy. I got the base anchor in and all the guy anchor points. I planned on putting the thing up today but came out to find the top hat is munched.  Looks like the dog ran head long into the top of the antenna and got caught up in the wire. Three of the top hat alum supports are bent over 90 degrees. Not sure I can fix it. I will probably have to call for spare parts today.

The sloper that I have been using is ok 75 but kinda piss weak on 40.  I wanted to get this up so I can at least enjoy the bands while the choice is made on the tower and beam.

C
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »

Clark,

What is the Gap vertical gonna be used for?  Does it get mounted on the tower or is separate? 

If separate then:

If you already plan on some kind of 10-20M Yagi and a dipole for 75M/40M (the best of those whirls) why bother?  You can shunt feed the grounded tower as a vertical and make it very effective on 160M or 75M by adding radials.  

An additional vertical will just get its pattern muddied up from interaction from all the feedlines and 65' tower. Those things are in the vertical plane, NG.

Feed the tower and if you keep all feedlines on the tower along with the centers of the Yagi and dipoles, they will act as top capacitance hats - and the feedlines will be invisible to the tower when used as a vertical.  Hope that makes sense.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2010, 12:12:34 PM »

Its a ground mounted vertical that is 45 ft tall. I got it cheap and new in the box.  We figured we would put it up for DX work on the AM bands. It covers 20,40, 80 and 160. 

http://www.gapantenna.com/voyager.html

I have always wanted a vertical as I understand its going to beat the wire past 1000 miles.  So this winter, I can put a big maul dropping carrier over there to you and the guys Smiley

As for the tower. I am not sure which one I am going to buy and what antenna I am going to put up top.  What I am waiting for is a used tower/antenna/rotor package in town. There are at least 10 a year being sold here as people move or come ill.

I have the company standing by to do the foundation to spec. This could take a couple months to get done. So we wanted to use the vert and stretch the zep back up for the mean time.  Or, I can buy a new tower but the qoute for the 41 foot crank up is $4777. 

C
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015