The AM Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:48:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crappy Audio  (Read 7330 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« on: October 09, 2010, 12:03:29 AM »

I heard this on 75 Meters earlier. Why would anyone run such horrid sounding audio?

* crappyaudio9oct100154z3882.mp3 (626.21 KB - downloaded 348 times.)
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 12:06:53 AM »

Almost as good some MP-3 recording...... Tongue

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 12:20:03 AM »

You don't like TimTron's  Slop-Bucket-Eliminator rig?

Shocked

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 12:41:33 AM »

No. It sounds like crap. What's the point? The frequency was clear. I'd say half the time I listened to him I couldn't even understand what he was saying. Once again, what's the point?
KA2DZT

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 01:18:04 AM »

I'd say half the time I listened to him I couldn't even understand what he was saying.

AT least with my crappy audio you can understand me.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 01:46:11 AM »

Didn't I hear that in a 1950's movie, Return of the Thing From Planet Y?

I couldn't understand a thing.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
WQ9E

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 07:31:58 AM »

Sounds like FM tuned on the nose with an AM detector.  That's even worse audio than the Italian contestor who sounds so bad it is difficult to figure out his call-but he refuses to change it because he wants to be loud....

Rodger WQ9E
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 11:15:20 AM »

Tim's playing the drunken miscreant who staggers onto the bus and plops down next to a startled old lady. She starts to protest as he leans over and pukes down her collar. He gets up and staggers down the aisle and falls next to a dapper looking gentleman who looks like Clark Gable. The miscreant mumbles an unintelligible profanity, lets out a belch in his face and then passes out.

Thus, the saga of the SBE rig drifting down the band onto your frequency... Wink

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 02:04:36 PM »

Check yer discriminator.

No. It sounds like crap. What's the point? The frequency was clear. I'd say half the time I listened to him I couldn't even understand what he was saying. Once again, what's the point?
KA1ZGC
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 02:05:21 PM »

When you asked him, what did he say?
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 01:30:34 AM »

LOL!

That thing is not makin it out here on 75.  He runs the J600 on 20 am phone and talks to me and is clear as a bell. Check my youtube for recordings.

C
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 08:49:35 AM »

The gain is just too high. Usually he has the gain set lower and it sounds fairly good. WOOOOOOBBBBBBBBUUUUUULLLLLAAAAATTTTIIIIOOONNNN!!!!

These are the good old days of AM
wa2pjp

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 09:43:48 AM »

When he runs that danmmed junk just tune off and don't talk to him. So much for high standards of radio.
WA3VJB
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 10:19:02 AM »

Maybe he was conducting engineering tests ?

Otherwise, yeah, this sounds like it's FMing all to hell.  Did you try listening in FM mode ?
I've slope detected (using AM detector) some FM up on 10M and it sounded better than this.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 10:57:37 AM »

It used to be illegal to run simultaneous amplitude and frequency modulation.  The FeeCee (inadvertently?) deleted that prohibition, along with the rule limiting modulation to 100%, years ago.  I suspect they assumed that no-one was running AM anymore, making those specific rules irrelevant, as part of their "deregulation" efforts.

Back in the 1920's, modulated oscillators were the norm, even for broadcast stations. They can be made to sound fairly good if the oscillator is properly designed and tuned up, and the percentage of modulation is kept low, to something like 50-60% maximum on peaks.  Before the aforementioned deregulation, there used to be an FCC rule that specifically prohibited modulated oscillators.

S.B.E. can be effective for warding off slopbucketeers that intentionally try to piggy-back ride the AM carrier or talk over an AM QSO, but I can't see the point of running it otherwise, except maybe for tinkering and experimental purposes when there is little or no activity on the band. In any case, I'm sure it hands out ammunition to those would like to see AM outlawed.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 11:14:30 AM »

Steve's station is off the air for repairs and upgrades last I knew. But there's always NEAR-Fest.  Grin

It strikes me that this is the sort of thing you test late at night, and later employ judiciously. Sounds at least as annoying as SSB, just more tiring.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KA1ZGC
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 11:25:50 AM »

Steve's station is off the air for repairs and upgrades last I knew. But there's always NEAR-Fest.  Grin

Must be quite the project to have taken out his telephone and email, too.  Roll Eyes

It normally doesn't FM like that. He may not have known it was happening. Talking to him would go a lot further than talking to everyone else about him.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 12:01:22 PM »

Must be quite the project to have taken out his telephone and email, too.  Roll Eyes

It normally doesn't FM like that. He may not have known it was happening. Talking to him would go a lot further than talking to everyone else about him.

That's not the way it works here Thom... you know that... Cheesy

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 10:15:57 AM »

How do you know I haven't called, emailed or already talked to him about it in the past? Thou doth protest too much.

KA1ZGC
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 11:02:11 AM »

How do you know I haven't called, emailed or already talked to him about it in the past? Thou doth protest too much.

...said the pot to the kettle. I'm not the one who started a protest thread.

If you had talked to him, you would have said so. The "how do you know" answer is never employed when a simple yes-or-no answer is available.

Of course, that strawman doesn't matter a whit. Even if you had talked to him already, my original point still stands.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 11:55:53 AM »

Thanks for your input. Amusing as always.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 02:30:02 PM »

Almost as good some MP-3 recording...... Tongue

C'mon MP3 sound pretty good till you get down to sampling rates of 48kbs

The sound clip was absolutely YUK

FRED

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands