The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:02:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: End of an Era...  (Read 67271 times)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« on: October 01, 2010, 09:41:15 AM »

How long now before NOS GE lightbulbs hit EBAY at exorbitant prices? 

By The Washington Post Sunday, September 12, 2010 WINCHESTER, Va. — The last major GE factory making ordinary incandescent light bulbs in the United States is closing this month, marking a small, sad exit for a product and company that can trace their roots to Thomas Alva Edison's innovations in the 1870s.             

Full story at
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/business/s_699116.html

At least I can order my heavy duty incandescents on line still...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 10:46:23 AM »

That's not far from here.

I should probably go down with a film camera and photograph the place.

Similar problem happening with replacement sealed-beam headlights. It's been a few years since ANY automobile used round quad set. So I've been stocking up.

Just like vacuum tubes.

* 27202.jpg (67.91 KB, 640x480 - viewed 796 times.)
KC4VWU

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 02:03:47 PM »

That article was pretty interesting. Did anyone catch the figures there?

The Chinese engineer stated that for his operation to come to America and manufacture, the bulbs would rise in cost about 10% ... 50 to 60 cents a piece.

G.E. did a study to retrofit an existing American plant to manufacture them, but the cost would be that bulb prices would rise 50% higher. So manufacturing would take place overseas for cost effectiveness.

Hmmmm...

Let's assume that G.E., being one small facet of good 'ole American big business, is already charging what the market will bear for their CFL's now. That means someone is putting a healthy 40% in their pocket.

Pretty interesting indeed!

No small wonder our economy is in the tank.

73, Phil

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 02:18:57 PM »

And the gloomy part, according to some experts, is that it will take about 10 yrs to recover. Third World status here we come

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Detroit47

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 02:59:43 PM »

We here in Michigan are enjoying a 13.1% unemployment rate. That doesn’t include people that have run out of unemployment benefits. We in Macomb County have a higher rate of 14.4%. Is everybody happy here in Michigan? With wages down and high unemployment the tax roles have shrunk. So those of us whom are left get our taxes raised.  I know it’s hard to believe but crime is up go figure. And guess what is the fastest growing business in Mi. is?  “Medical Marijuana” I don’t think that’s going to create a lot of jobs. Or a motivated work force is that those green jobs their talking about? I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

73 N8QPC
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 03:34:16 PM »

think about it next time you are in wallmart saving money after the ride in your imported car that you bought to save money
Detroit47

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 03:36:53 PM »

think about it next time you are in wallmart saving money

You won't ever find me in Walmart. I live right behind them and the only thing i get from them is QRM. And I only drive American cars I buy what i build.
John
WB3LEQ

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 04:06:35 PM »

I think that what we "build" here today are in reality sub-assemblies and components mostly manufactured out of country.  It's no longer the method Henry Ford used.  The first Fords were assembled from components actually manufactured on site.  The concept of raw materials entering on one end of the plant and the finished product exiting out of final assembly is a thing of the past.

Bob  WB3LEQ
Keep America Beautiful - Smash an ICOM!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 04:25:58 PM »

John, you may pass.
Many people think they can be well paid then spend their money on cheap imported junk. Then wonder why everyone is out of work.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 05:07:23 PM »

I'm still using incandescent bulbs but running out. Tried the new ones. I didn't see much difference off hand. I thought they wud have a ghoulish fluorescent look, but seem OK. What do others think?

Are they generally more expensive than the old incandescents?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 05:34:38 PM »

Most things are cheap imported junk. Anyone who says they don't buy the stuff is FOS.
Detroit47

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 05:47:03 PM »

I try not to buy import stuff but there is no such thing as an American TV, or electronic component. But one thing I don't buy is imported food. With the exception of Bananas, I don't need any Salmonella with my vegetables thank you.

John
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 08:03:11 PM »

Most things are cheap imported junk. Anyone who says they don't buy the stuff is FOS.

Four vehicles here:

Daughter drives a 2008 Flex-Fuel Chevy Malibu. Made in USA and runs on on $2.15/gallon 85% American Made Ethanol.

I drive a Ford F-250 diesel and usually B-20 Biodiesel fuel. Truck made in Louisville, KY. Fuel is usually from Iowa. 190,000 miles.

Wife drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Made in Ohio, USA.

Son drives a Ford Focus. 30-35 MPG gasser and manufactured in Detroit.

My wife grew up in a manufacturing town in Ohio her brother was a lifer at Timken, and we both have always made an effort to buy products that directly support American business. It's not so difficult. Now, Timken's gone. Hoover is gone. Canton Ohio is another Detroit.

The problem is that most folks talk the talk but don't walk the walk. I will pay 10% more for a product made here in the USA of comparable quality.

Am I stupid? You betcha.

I once bought a new Toyota. I loved that car. It rusted through and even the rear axle gears wore out after 100,000 miles. Junked it. Why would I buy another?

I don't have a problem with free trade. As long as it's fair and bilateral.  But we need to support our neighbors and American manufacturers if given a chance or it'll end up costing us a whole lot more (unemployment, loss of tax revenue, standard of living) in the long run. Pay now or pay later.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 08:19:30 PM »

" Made in USA and runs on on $2.15/gallon 85% American Made Ethanol."

'cource, the per gallon ethanol subsidies total $1.95.....
(http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2010/01/rice_university_analysis_quest.html)

The 10% ethanol fuel is subsidized by $.045 a gallon.   I can't buy 'regular' gas here in the Empire State.

My made in America Ford Ranger had the Mazda transmission in it...... The Canadians have the toilet paper market sewn up.

It's tough buying made in america stuff. I went to harbor freight; almost all of the stuff I picked up was from China.  I went to a  Army/Navy store (not walley worl). I bought a pair of work boots, made in America, for $132. The other stuff was crap made in China, at about $99 a boot.

klc

What? Me worry?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 08:47:54 PM »

I buy American if I have a choice and pick that over price.
We do not have free trade. It isn't even trade. It is dumping.
We just keep dropping the value of the dollar and send it away.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 09:02:56 PM »

ade in America Ford Ranger had the Mazda transmission in it...... The Canadians have the toilet paper marked sewn up.

It's tough buying made in america stuff.

Isn't Canada in America?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 09:17:39 PM »

" Made in USA and runs on on $2.15/gallon 85% American Made Ethanol."

'cource, the per gallon ethanol subsidies total $1.95.....
(http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2010/01/rice_university_analysis_quest.html)

The 10% ethanol fuel is subsidized by $.045 a gallon.   I can't buy 'regular' gas here in the Empire State.

Well, yes. But I'd buy ethanol fuel at a higher price without the government subsidy.

Look at it this way..Where does the money for the subsidies come from? Everyone that pays taxes. So you're paying for it, whether or not you use it. They might as well not subsidize it; I'd buy E85 anyway as a personal one-finger gesture to our friends in Venezuela and the Middle East.  Again, the problem is that the public doesn't care about buying American, all they want is the cheapest gas, even if it came from the Devil himself, they'd still buy it. We will go to war to protect our petroleum supplies. Remember Kuwait? What's that cost? Without any oil, they aren't a pimple on America's derriere. With tax breaks and all, petroleum is actually quite heavily subsidized by taxpayers as well.

Everyone talks the talk but they don't walk the walk.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 09:27:46 PM »

my next truck will be E85 but my finger is up now to the blood suckers. Drill deep water but do it right.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 10:50:41 PM »

" Isn't Canada in America? "

Yes it is .....

so is France.... .. Saint Pierre and Miquelon

klc

What? Me worry?
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 09:19:19 AM »

Well, if the US is ever going to get out of this mess, we have GOT to STOP electing "social engineers" to run the government.

The current regulatory and tax policies that small business have to deal with are counter to any sort of job creation or investment.  The big businesses have the congress and the laws pretty much on their side... but they don't create the most jobs, the small businesses do.

The current tax policies and tax policies that are going to kick in next year and the year after that, are targeting the small business owners the hardest.  Where does this idea come from that small business owners are "rich"??  Then the class envy kicks in, and the notion comes about that these "rich" don't pay enough in taxes - absolutely foolhardy. 

The actual rich (who you never see because they live in places you can't afford to even visit) pay a much smaller percentage in taxes than the so-called "rich" small business owner who probably lives next door to you and to me and works 80 or more hours a week !!

The current tax policies punish work.  On the other hand, they reward passive income and/or playing the government's game.  Figure that??!!??
If we really want to get out economy working, we have GOT to get the government OUT OF THE WAY of small business.  I could go on about all the control we have systematically handed over the the federal government, but that's another discussion.

The US has some of the highest business taxes in the world.  Do we really want this?  All it does is drive business away.

Really, why tax businesses at all?  It just doesn't make sense.  Businesses either pay out their profits to individuals (who eventually pay taxes on the money), or they REINVEST IT BACK INTO THE BUSINESS TO CREATE MORE JOBS !!!!!!  Every dollar the government takes from a business or business owner is one more dollar that is not available to be reinvested back on the business and/or the economy.

The ONLY fair tax is a flat consumption (sales) tax on everything, collected at the end point when the sale is made to the final end user.  Everyone pays it and everyone pays the same percentage.  The wealthy pay, the illegal aliens pay, the criminals pay, the middle class pays.  And yes, even the poorest would pay something.  I used to believe in an income "threshold", below which you would not have to pay the sales tax, but I have come to understand that in creating such a threshold, we then create a whole class of people who are completely disinterested in what is going on in Washington because it doesn't cost them anything.  By having everyone participate in the supply side - everyone has a vested interested in participating in the system.

With such a tax, if Washington wants more money, EVERYONE is going to notice it and everyone will pay it - and believe me, things would change radically in our systsem if this were the case !!

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Detroit47

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 09:28:35 AM »

When Ronald Reagan took power in 1981, Americans lived completely different lives. Downsizing - the concept of mass layoffs in order to boost a CEO's bonus - hadn't entered the vocabulary. Neither had outsourcing….. When Reagan fired the striking air traffic controllers in 1981, the air controller's union broke - and so did a whole way of life. From then on it was open season on the American worker. This was only the beginning of the demise of the middle class. When Mr. Clinton signed NAFTA he must have had Monica on his mind. Ross Perrot was right when he said all you will hear is a sucking sound. To compound matters we have had one expensive war after another in an attempt to police the world.  I think we should close our borders and screw the rest of them.  Other countries kill people when they violate their borders. This country needs to grow some balls or it will cease to exist. When the common man in this country can no longer afford to feed his family, or put a roof over their heads something will have to give.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 10:07:45 AM »

The big businesses have the congress and the laws pretty much on their side...

Capitalized profits, socialized losses.

And the supreme court just declared that corporations are persons, who are free to buy elections.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 10:08:39 AM »

all the CFLs that I put into this house about 7 years ago, they've all pretty much fried.  Had one let go about a week ago.  Can't stand that electronic burn smell.  I'm back to incandescent bulbs for the most part.   I've been hoarding incandescent bulbs.  The day they are outlawed here in the states isn't very far away.  They're banned in some Euro countries now and we always seem to have a reason to follow Europe like they're smarter or something.  Ten years after they'll be money in the bank.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 10:17:49 AM »

I have a small hoard.  But I don't buy the dinky, flimsy things the "normal" product has become.  They burn out after a few weeks, and you can't bump them or drop them more than 4 inches without destroying the filament.  I hoard those wonderfully inefficient "long life" bulbs with a rugged filament, the ones you can  drop onto a concrete floor and they keep on burning.

Most of them are NOT made in USA. They mostly come from former communist countries in eastern Europe. I suspect there is nothing special about them; they are simply normal bulbs used in those countries before they began courting the EU. Many countries use 220 volts at the mains, and their bulbs have a bayonet base instead of screw-in, but some of the east Europeans use 110 volts and screw-in bases.  That's where our "long life" bulbs come from.

And they still come with real brass bases.

- - -
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2010, 11:17:46 AM »

I think I'd better give up my incandescent bulbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSTLDel-G9k

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015