The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:17:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Missing "Tina" and Summer from Hell!  (Read 19288 times)
W1IA

« on: August 25, 2010, 05:35:32 PM »

Summer is usually my radio free period till the cold weather, but a rainy day has me in the shack and reflecting on a disastrous summer. After slicing the knee open with the chain-saw followed by the broken ankle...."other than that how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?"
        I find myself facing a heart catheterization on Monday....Arrgh! I had some minor chest pains and they found I had an abnormal stress test. If they find anything they will be putting in a stint(s). My sister died of a massive heart attack last year, so it behooves me to have this checked out.
        On a lighter note I will be finishing the GS-35 amp project and as I type Steve has found and fixed my modulator for the 24 pill E rig and that will get put back together shortly. Thanks Steve!! It was a very complicated problem and Steve may write up the findings.

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
W1UJR
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 05:54:49 PM »

Man, when it rains it pours...sorry, really sorry, to hear that buddy.

Hard to remember that we're not invincible teens any more, even if we still feel that way.
I'll been working on a number of wellness issues here, nothing major, but darn well
making sure that I don't have something serious happen.

I'll keep you in prayer for the operation and a speedy recovery.
May see you at the fall NEARFest, if not, hope to catch you on the air!
I've been doing a good deal more listening than talking, trying to catch
up on projects.

-Bruce
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 06:08:54 PM »

Hi Brent,

Wow,  does seem like a rough summer! Good luck with the procedure,  and recovery.  Does sound like it IS important to keep an eye on your heart.

73  Good Luck,   Vic
W1IA

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 06:10:34 PM »

Man, when it rains it pours...sorry, really sorry, to hear that buddy.

Hard to remember that we're not invincible teens any more, even if we still feel that way.
I'll been working on a number of wellness issues here, nothing major, but darn well
making sure that I don't have something serious happen.

I'll keep you in prayer for the operation and a speedy recovery.
May see you at the fall NEARFest, if not, hope to catch you on the air!
I've been doing a good deal more listening than talking, trying to catch
up on projects.

-Bruce
Thanks Bruce..I'm sure everything will be ok.; Otherwise I have to will the 24 pill rig to someone HA! Grin  My basement heating pair of GS-35's will need a new home too.
As long as whomever gets it will make sure they run the Macaroni net for me! Wink
PHHredd will miss me when I'm gone!

Tina

Run What Ya Brung!
W1IA

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 06:13:22 PM »

Hi Brent,

Wow,  does seem like a rough summer! Good luck with the procedure,  and recovery.  Does sound like it IS important to keep an eye on your heart.

73  Good Luck,   Vic
Thanks Vic.....are you part of the west coast gang? I saw a post about internet audio video to my friends on the west coast. Been meaning to check that out.

Brent"Tina"

Run What Ya Brung!
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 07:24:14 PM »

Brent I worked you last winter on 75 (or 160 but I'm pretty sure it was 75) m.  Funny thing we were just talking about bypass surgery and cardiac tests and such at this months ham club meeting today.  Good luck; I'm sure everything will go well.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 08:00:07 PM »

Break a leg!  er, no.  Rip up that treadmill, nah.  Take heart things will get better!  Smiley

Best wishes. 

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 08:28:59 PM »

Brent, pay no attention to those pains, just smoke two packs of cigs a day and drink whiskey, that's what some hams do?? Just Kidding! I hope you make out well Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 08:34:44 PM »

Brent good luck on Monday with the procedure. Hopefully you won't need a stent, but a friend of mine just had one put in and he claims that now he feels like he's 25 again! Hopefully everything will go as well for you as Steve's repair to your modulator deck!

I happened to be messing around at the bench while you, Steve, and Tom were chatting on 75 meters this afternoon, and recorded a bit of your deck being put to the test by Steve. It sounded very nice. Sound clip attached for your listening pleasure. (Starts out receiving in the 10 kc bandwidth position, then switches to 12 kc.)

Rob W1AEX

* WA1QUIX - W1IA 8-25-2010 5 28 00 PM.mp3 (1475.25 KB - downloaded 169 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 08:36:03 PM »

Brent,
if the stent is needed you will feel much better.

Be thankful for the medical system in the USA to get you through this. We're considering moving to the Philippines in 4 yrs and the medical may be cheap and pay easily out of pocket BUT certain medical needs and procedures are not reliable here and folks have to go to Hong Kong or back to the USA to get fixed.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 08:42:14 PM »

Tina,
        come on down after your procedure, we can chew up a keg of rusty nails, fart sparks, and compare notes!! then we can both comare meds and piss and moan about getting older Grin  Grin

whoever said "life begins at 40" should be tarred and feathered! ! !

Good luck and get well soon!!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
K1ETP
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 09:41:41 PM »

Brent-- Those cardiac caths are pretty common these days. We do dozens of them a week here at the Boston VA. The stent(s) sure beat bypass surgery. Good luck; you're due for some.  Smiley

Roni
K5WLF
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 10:46:41 PM »

All the best to you, Brent, for the procedure on Monday. You'll sure be coming home to some great audio. That clip sounded great!

ldb
K5WLF
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 06:09:38 AM »

Best of luck.

I'm sure you will be running marathon sessions of the gnet soon.

2VeryWeak.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 09:37:51 AM »

Yo Brent -

Well, that makes three mishaps in a row, so after this procedure you should be on a roll for a long time now... Grin

I'm looking forward to the radio season coming up. From the audio clip, looks like you guys are starting in already.

The discussion gots me interested in doing the mods to the charge pump or whatever needs to be done to my own class E rig.  Let's see if we can axe Steve to document this for existing rigs. Maybe a few scope shots of before and after waveforms showing the ringing will show us what is considered excessive ringing and not.

Anyway, I've been very busy with non-ham related projects every day, but will find the time to give ya a shout soon.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 11:30:40 AM »

Brent manages to create the unusual conditions, that's for sure.  Due to some odd combination of filter, bypass capacitors, lead lengths and other conditions, there was a lot of ringing on the PWM switching waveform on the rising edge.

There is usuall a very small amount of this, but  here, there was a lot of it.  The modulator uses a charge pump to produce voltage for the driver circuitry (which is floating), and normally it is a build-it-and-forget-it type of circuit.  There are some 50 of these operating in the field with no problems whatsoever.  I have 4 of these in my own fleet.

But, Brent's filter ringing was such that the charge pump diode was switching in the low mHz range rather than the 160kHz range which is the normal switching frequency.  The charge pump diode would get very hot switching at the ringing frequency, and would fail after about 10 minutes (sometimes less) of operation.

The solution was 2-fold.  First, I applied a bypass capacitor to the power supply line coming into the modulator,
and 2nd, I put a small inductor in series with the charge pump diode along with another diode (as a damper), and a capacitor and a resistor back to the high voltage supply, to remove the unwanted high frequency components from the charge pump.  I will document the change (which is simple to make), however since no one else has reported any problems with their modulators at all (and I know of no other incidents where charge pumps were failing), this may be an isolated case.  However, because it is possible to happen elsewhere, I will certainly document the change.

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA1GFZ

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 11:39:20 AM »

That is a big diode and surprised it failed. There must have been some interesting layout issues.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »

That is a big diode and surprised it failed. There must have been some interesting layout issues.

Hi Frank - well, the diode isn't THAT big   Smiley  - it's a 3 amp 600 volt diode in a normal 3 amp diode-size package with leads on each end.  The device dissipation might be 1 watt tops.

I don't exactly know what combination of factors lead to the ringing components - I've never seen any such thing anywhere else - just with that modulator.  But, I was able to cure it with some bypassing on the HV coming in, and I added the charge pump filter for good measure!

Here is the section of the PWM output with the charge pump, showing the original circuit and the modified circuit.  Components L1, D520, C520 and R520 are the additional components.  Essentially, inductor L1 will remove any high frequency components that might appear on the PWM waveform (ringing, etc) and keep them from getting into D500, the charge pump diode.  D520 is necessary to damp L1.  C520 bypasses the damping current from D520, and R520 is a protection resistor to protect the low voltage power supply from excessive current should the transmitter be operated with the high voltage supply turned off.

So, that's it!!

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 12:42:48 PM »

Steve, I suspect it was also due to C500 not a good HF bypass.
Brent, good luck with the pen spring installation. Pen springs are great devices and are used to make great power valve blow out preventers in Holley carbs.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 12:56:40 PM »

Steve,

Thanks for posting the mod.

Could you also post a pic of what a maximum "tolerable" ring looks like in the PDM output?   I haven't had any problems like Brent's, but want to see if my small amount of ring is acceptable before doing the mods.

I already did a lot of bypassing and shielding changes - and shortened lead lengths back in the shake-down phase and was hoping maybe I didn't need to change anything else...

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 01:48:16 PM »

a 3 amp diode can haul big time transients for a short time. I suspect 100 amps would not hurt it. Yes long leads cause series L and ringing. Maybe a big bulk C at the input of the board in parallel with HF bypass. This would shunt the long lead back to the supply inductance. The filter input is inductive so a longer lead is ok. Also look at the ground on the damper diodes and make sure any extra bypass is connected to the damper diode ground. 
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 02:29:57 PM »

Steve, I suspect it was also due to C500 not a good HF bypass.

That would have been nice Grin   It was the first thing I looked at, and had nice, clean DC there.  Turns out the ring on the PWM output waveform was turning the charge pump diode on and off - it was that significant.  There was a lot of current flowing in that circuit - C500 and C503 were quite warm when Brent was having the problem.  Now they are cold.

This is a good improvement to the circuit, but I wouldn't bother retrofitting existing modulators unless there is excessive heating of D500.

Tom, I'm sure you would have seen a problem before now if you had a ring issue.  You could take a pic of your PWM waveform and I'll have a look at it.

I accidentially left my transmitter (it's almost identical to Brent's) on for more than *4 hours* once, at full power.  No probs whatsoever.  Got to see how much (or how little) things actually heated up.

The pulse modulators are ultra-efficient.

Regards,

Steve

WA1GFZ

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 05:01:05 PM »

"The pulse modulators are ultra-efficient", but very layout critical
I bet the filter is some distance from the switch to get that big ring to swing below the boost voltage and conduct the diode. Sounds like there is a transient issue with the filter response to set things in motion. Also could be ground related.
W1IA

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 08:12:07 PM »

Thanks for all the kind words guys! The catheterization is more of a preventative maintenance due to my sisters demise and I have another surgery scheduled later this fall (unrelated to the heart). The doctors would not preform the surgery unless my heart was in tip-top shape. I feel great all things considered. I am back on the air with the 24 pills now that the modulator has been fixed by Mr. Qix

See you on the air and at Boxboro this Saturday! Grin

Brent"Tina"
W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 09:45:17 PM »

Brent:

The best of luck with your health. I know you'll do well.

This radio stuff is a distant secondary concern (other than providing a good escape to life's difficult times).

Dan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015