The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:05:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Missing "Tina" and Summer from Hell!  (Read 19289 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 09:59:32 AM »

Brent:

The best of luck with your health. I know you'll do well.

This radio stuff is a distant secondary concern (other than providing a good escape to life's difficult times).

Dan

Yep, you said it, Dan.

Yesterday I was on a ladder leaned up against a round tree (big mistake) and the ladder rotated and I took a spill. I hit the ground with my left foot first, at a weird angle and got a bad ankle sprain. Lot's of swelling.  I've been trying to get around on one foot lately. It's so easy to take simple things, like walking around, for granted. Right now it's a major adventure just to get up the frickin stairs... YAz watches me in Bizzaro-world wonderment.Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 12:32:32 PM »

My masta  Kung Fu es piss weak

* KungFu is weak.jpg (18.8 KB, 100x148 - viewed 453 times.)

What? Me worry?
W1IA

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010, 01:20:04 PM »

Brent:

The best of luck with your health. I know you'll do well.

This radio stuff is a distant secondary concern (other than providing a good escape to life's difficult times).

Dan

Careful Tom...you too could break ankle Tongue

Yep, you said it, Dan.

Yesterday I was on a ladder leaned up against a round tree (big mistake) and the ladder rotated and I took a spill. I hit the ground with my left foot first, at a weird angle and got a bad ankle sprain. Lot's of swelling.  I've been trying to get around on one foot lately. It's so easy to take simple things, like walking around, for granted. Right now it's a major adventure just to get up the frickin stairs... YAz watches me in Bizzaro-world wonderment.Grin

T

Run What Ya Brung!
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2010, 02:10:44 PM »

<snip>I took a spill. I hit the ground with my left foot first, at a weird angle and got a bad ankle sprain. Lot's of swelling.  I've been trying to get around on one foot lately. It's so easy to take simple things, like walking around, for granted.T

Amen to that. I was helping the YL build a shed and was standing on a crosspiece about 3 feet off the ground that let go and dumped me. My left foot hit the sill of the shed with my toes up on the sill and my heel striking the ground 6 inches below. Bye bye Achilles tendon! After the screaming and red haze receded, I at first I thought it was just a bad sprain, but after a couple of days gimping around with a floppy foot and a doctor visit, I learned my whole summer was trashed. Surgery followed by 6 weeks on crutches, then a walking boot, etc etc. What an eye opener in terms of how limiting an injury impacting mobility can be! 2 years later, it still reminds me that all is not as it was before.

Brent, good to hear you on the last couple of days, and good luck on your procedure Monday. We'll be keeping good thoughts for you.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2010, 03:15:24 PM »

Amen to that. I was helping the YL build a shed and was standing on a crosspiece about 3 feet off the ground that let go and dumped me. My left foot hit the sill of the shed with my toes up on the sill and my heel striking the ground 6 inches below. Bye bye Achilles tendon! After the screaming and red haze receded, I at first I thought it was just a bad sprain, but after a couple of days gimping around with a floppy foot and a doctor visit, I learned my whole summer was trashed. Surgery followed by 6 weeks on crutches, then a walking boot, etc etc. What an eye opener in terms of how limiting an injury impacting mobility can be! 2 years later, it still reminds me that all is not as it was before.

Yikes!!  That is some injury.

It's so frustrating cuz it happens so fast and goes really bad in an instant. There's no way to turn back the clock.  I've made a lot of changes in my life lately, mostly protection-safety related. I need to do a full review of standard working/falling and walking stuff ASAP.  

Tendons, having little blood to work with, can take months and sometimes over a year to heal.  In contrast, muscles heal quickly.  I've been taking too many chances when working around here. It's funny that I've never been injured climbing these towers after hundreds of work hours. It's usually the stupid stuff like ladders and stairs, or not taking the time to figure out a safe approach, that gets us.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2010, 03:39:02 PM »

[

Tendons, having little blood to work with, can take months and sometimes over a year to heal.  In contrast, muscles heal quickly.  I've been taking too many chances when working around here. It's funny that I've never been injured climbing these towers after hundreds of work hours. It's usually the stupid stuff like ladders and stairs, or not taking the time to figure out a safe approach, that gets us.

T
[/quote]

I used to run up and down my 80' tower (big tower...I climb up the inside) like it was nothing.  I would go up and down the thing 3 or 4 times a day and really not think much about it.  Then.....something called arthritis, commonly associated with old buzzardness, set in.  I can still climb up there, but unfortunately, I seem to pay for such exploits with a painful aftermath that can last for weeks....consequently...don't do much climbing anymore.  Trouble is...it is really difficult to get anybody to do antenna work around here.  You end up having to pay somebody (commercial contractor) a healthy hourly rate and they don't feel compelled to give "amateurs" a break.  I'm not denying that their time is valuable and the risk can be high, but it makes antenna projects a lot less affordable.

Tom...my crazy tower safety story goes like this:

I was installing a huge 60' boom yagi for 20 and 10M.  Had to hoist the heavy beast sideways up to the top of the tower utilizing a jeep with a winch and cantenary wires up to the top.  Got it up there...and clamped it to the 4" mast pipe.  The boom had an overhead guy system supporting it with a center angle and guys going out to points on the boom.  I, of course, was up inside the tower when a gust of wind caught the boom spinning it slightly and clamping me inside the tower between the boom and the tower itself.  Fortunately...a neighbor saw my plight and was able to pull on a rope, still attached and moved the boom far enough that I was able to crawl out the top and down the outside of the tower.  A little bruised, including my ego, but very much in one piece.  Scared the heck out of me...but I turned around and went right back up the tower to finish the job.  Kinda like getting back on the horse that threw you.  Anyway...ever since that little adventure, found myself being a lot more careful.

By the way Brent...hope everything goes super with your procedure and you are feeling great soon!!!

73.  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2010, 04:56:03 PM »

Your not kidding Tom. I was finishing up the floor job putting the last few courses against the wall in the bedroom. I went to stand up for about the hundredth time on a weird angle with tools in my hand. I pulled a muscle in my leg that is just starting to feel better after 3 weeks. I finally stated walking again this week.
Heck, this is still better than sitting in front of the boob tube with a remote in my hand. Too many people call that a life, we don't
W1IA

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2010, 05:03:54 PM »

[quote/]
By the way Brent...hope everything goes super with your procedure and you are feeling great soon!!!

73.  Jack, W9GT

[/quote]
Thanks Jack,
I love your page on QRZ! And your right "Life is to short for QRP"
Nice wood platform tube rigs.

Brent

Run What Ya Brung!
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2010, 09:55:57 PM »

Thanks for all the kind words guys! The catheterization is more of a preventative maintenance due to my sisters demise and I have another surgery scheduled later this fall (unrelated to the heart). The doctors would not preform the surgery unless my heart was in tip-top shape. I feel great all things considered. I am back on the air with the 24 pills now that the modulator has been fixed by Mr. Qix

See you on the air and at Boxboro this Saturday! Grin

Brent"Tina"
W1IA

just make sure the 24 pills stay in your transmitter and not in your daily regimen!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2010, 10:35:32 PM »

Best wishes brother Brent!!

I was carrying 2 sheets of 1/2" plywood the other day and sneezed.
Pulled a muscle in the lower left back that anchors at the left butt cheek.
4 days later it's just now starting to feel better.

Lotsa power in a sneeze!!
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2010, 11:06:19 PM »

" Lotsa power in a sneeze!! "

New meaning to the phase, "put some ass into it"

klc

What? Me worry?
n1bnc

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 07:41:10 AM »

Hey Brent. This sure explains why you have been quiet.

My dad who passed last May had a 3xbypass in '86 and stents and other bits of services since, made it to 81. This is from a line of men in the family who never made it much beyond the late 50's in age! All will be well.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 06:38:14 PM »

Hope you feel better soon.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2010, 09:58:30 AM »

Brent,
I hope things are going well with your procedure today.  I am sure it will go well and you will be in good shape for the follow-up operation you were talking about.   
Speedy recovery!
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W1IA

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »

Everything is FB guys! Other than being on a cold table and drugged up on phyntenol...I was on the table when the doc got called into the ER for someone having a heart attack...Rrrr! Made me uneasy. An hour later they injected the dye and pronounced everything clear. YAY! I home still doped up on meds...phew!

Nothing like a sixties moment Tongue

Brent

Run What Ya Brung!
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2010, 02:53:05 PM »

Everything is FB guys!

Excellent! Nothing like getting *good* news from a doctor to make your day.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2010, 08:46:28 PM »

Everything is FB guys! Other than being on a cold table and drugged up on phyntenol...I was on the table when the doc got called into the ER for someone having a heart attack...Rrrr! Made me uneasy. An hour later they injected the dye and pronounced everything clear. YAY! I home still doped up on meds...phew!

Nothing like a sixties moment Tongue

Brent

Awesome !!!!  I guess you'll be a-strapping for quite a few more years  Wink  Glad the results were positive.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2010, 12:34:49 PM »

Great news Brent!  Strap On!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015