The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:35:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solid state tube replacement for a 6AL5  (Read 10091 times)
Knightt150
Contributing

« on: August 22, 2010, 04:20:04 PM »

Dose anyone know where I can get a commerical solid state replacement tube for a 6AL5. I know I can get a couple of diodes and plug them in. But I want something a little stronger than that.

John W9BFO
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:44:12 PM »

http://www.webervst.com/ccap.html

I used 4 cent replacement diodes for my 6AL5 and they worked fine. If you want them "stronger", solder them in.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 08:51:12 PM »

John,

If this tube is being used as a bias rectifier (like in the Johnson Ranger) then you will need a series dropping resistor to get the voltage back in range.  If it is for a noise limiter in a receiver, a pair of cheap diodes is all you need.

I am not sure I have ever replaced a 6AL5 in any of the gear I own.  They are very reliable so unless there is an unusual circumstance requiring substitution I would just plug in another 6AL5.

Rodger WQ9E
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 10:09:01 PM »

You can make a plug-in with a base, just like the big stuff.

Get a tube socket and some 3/4" wires that will be your 'pins', a piece of electrical tape, a 1/2" or 3/4" PVC pipe 1" long, some hot glue, and your diodes.

Using the socket as a form, place the tape over it sticky side down. insert the pins you have made. the pins should have a zigzag bend in 2 dimensions so they will be firmly held in place in the glue. attach the diodes to the pins. set the PVC pipe section over the thing so the tape seals the bottom of it. Fill it with well-melted hot glue.

Once this cools, remove the socket and the piece of tape, and there you have a little round thingie with pins that is your ss replacement. Inscribe RCA on it or whatever.

Alternately epoxy can be used, just make sure there are no leaks till it cures. This is a kid-tested/mother approved project.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
vincent
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 06:35:26 AM »

From my collection some solid state tube replacement:

* Semtube 1.JPG (108.09 KB, 848x636 - viewed 776 times.)

* Semtube 2.JPG (78.98 KB, 833x493 - viewed 651 times.)

* Semtube 3.JPG (107.77 KB, 848x636 - viewed 612 times.)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 10:19:45 AM »

John,

If this tube is being used as a bias rectifier (like in the Johnson Ranger) then you will need a series dropping resistor to get the voltage back in range.  If it is for a noise limiter in a receiver, a pair of cheap diodes is all you need.

I am not sure I have ever replaced a 6AL5 in any of the gear I own.  They are very reliable so unless there is an unusual circumstance requiring substitution I would just plug in another 6AL5.

What he said ! ! ! !

Why?? Other than a very rare filament failure, they never crap out. If you just need to replace one, PM me your address and I'll send you a few.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »

Go with the $12 coppertop and then you are qualified to join audiophool forums Roll Eyes
WA2ROC
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 03:20:14 PM »

I suppose then I could use 3 diodes to replace a 6BZ7?

Detector, ANL and AVC in Mohawk.

Dick Pettit WA2ROC 
Vintage Heathkit Equipment
If You Cannot Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015