The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:45:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 813 Rig - Slight change of plans...  (Read 28686 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 03:08:17 PM »

833s would need a few resistor value changes to get more output voltage swing at required bias voltage. The 833 needs a lot more negative bias than a 4-1000A and more peak to peak drive. This makes the resistor values a bit more critical to bias each stage at the right spot. This wasn't an issue for Tom so there was no point in changing the configuration he has. I simulated the 833 after we completed Tom's rig but the good news is the simulation matched the test results.
N8UH
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010, 03:28:46 PM »

833s would need a few resistor value changes to get more output voltage swing at required bias voltage. The 833 needs a lot more negative bias than a 4-1000A and more peak to peak drive. This makes the resistor values a bit more critical to bias each stage at the right spot. This wasn't an issue for Tom so there was no point in changing the configuration he has. I simulated the 833 after we completed Tom's rig but the good news is the simulation matched the test results.

Good to know. I see what you are saying after looking at the data sheets. It looks like a pair of 833s or 4-100s need 3X-4X times the audio drive of 4X1s, if I'm interpreting things correctly.

-Tim
WA1GFZ

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2010, 03:55:10 PM »

Yes, with about 90 volts of negative bias.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2010, 04:37:50 PM »

Hi,

I'm afraid I have to agree with Carl. I do not want to distract from the topic so I have blown this off in the past but I merely wish to interject a practical concern.  I played around with CB stuff for about a year in 1970 before I got my first ham ticket.  I know nothing of the current CB culture so the CB venacular is nonsense to me.   That would not matter except as a noob in AM I am trying to learn.  So while it may be fun and I'll be the first to say it is all about having fun, when used, it obfuscates and makes some points utterly meaningless to new people like me.   It's hard enough to figure this stuff out anyway but when I see the CB lingo I immediately tune out and move on.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
N8UH
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2010, 05:49:34 PM »

I too am a newbie to AM, and at first the vernacular threw me a bit. But this helped me out:

http://www.w1ujr.net/glossary.htm

I got used to it. Now it's fun. Wink

-Tim
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2010, 06:22:08 PM »

okay Tim thanks; I knew most of the words on that list but for some reason I thought the monkey thing was CB lingo and it was one I did not get.   Sorry about that.  Carry on....

Rob 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2010, 07:50:07 PM »

EL34's were cheap like $13 a few years ago at Penta Labs if you buy a case of 20. I did that because of a Bogen MO-200 that used eight 8417's, which are even more expensive. I converted it to 6550's but am going to EL34's next time I see the amp. I already have it set up for stereo, individual bias, and cathode curent monitoring so it is very easy to balance up. You might not need so many tubes, but why risk running out? The EL34 is my new "high voltage 6L6" and "low current 6550".

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2010, 09:30:21 PM »

I too am a newbie to AM, and at first the vernacular threw me a bit. But this helped me out:

http://www.w1ujr.net/glossary.htm

I got used to it. Now it's fun. Wink

TimTron Tim WA1HLR, very well know Maine AMer. Originator of many of the fine phrases on this page.

That confirms my retarded remark Grin

Carl
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 09:40:35 PM »

Retards are people too.   Tongue
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 10:32:02 PM »

Whackers and good buddies are people too...  Kiss    Caw Mawn.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 11:18:32 PM »

'" It's people. Soylent Green is made out of people. "

What? Me worry?
KC4VWU

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2010, 01:33:26 AM »

Dude! Soylent Green! That movie is way cool and totally a classic. The ending is sooo gnarley!

That was surfer slang a-la Jeff Spicoli. Can also be used to comment on or describe boatanchor gear and amateur radio practices.

73, Phil
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2010, 08:12:40 AM »

okay Tim thanks; I knew most of the words on that list but for some reason I thought the monkey thing was CB lingo and it was one I did not get.   Sorry about that.  Carry on....

Rob 

Rob,
      "Munky swing" (note spelling) is refering to your plate current or outpoot wattmeter needle wiggling with your modulation. Yes, it is CB jargan, but it's fun. When you be "swingin the munky", you are getting good mod peaks.

Lets face it AMers have their own jargan and slang as well. So do the inbred SSB operators.
It's just fun. Where do you think my "Slab Bacon" monicre came from?? One of the things that the SSB operators resent about us is that we have fun on the air!!

Carl,
       you gotta learn to stop being a "stick in the mud" and loosen up, lighten up and have some fun!! Life is just too short. Have fun while your here, cause you cant after they plant you. Like the old song goes "In heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here!"
Have some fun and loosen up a bit.

Put yourself in my shoes!! I have been told that my end is coming a lot sooner than I had planned. (How would you like to live with that sword hanging over your head??) Am I grumpy, NO! I'm gonna be happy and enjoy things to the fullest while I still can!
Dont waste the effort worrying (or pissing and moaning) about things that really dont matter!

The Slab Bacon
                                                       (wit da fat meat shakin)

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2010, 10:19:11 AM »

better to burn out than fade away
As I told a girl I know from High School last week who is married to another school mate.
Better to be shot down in flames then never fly
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2010, 11:01:06 AM »

As I told a girl I know from High School last week who is married to another school mate.

Reminds me of a couple of sayings:

"I'd rather live a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep."

And, JJ paraphrased:

"When I die, I want life to have been going through the gears burning rubber, accelerating to 140+, passing cars, swerving and carrying on - until I slide in sideways, spitting rocks and smoke, my body all used up, totally spent."    Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2010, 11:50:40 AM »

Yep, sell your house, quit your job and head to New Zealand to do some base jumping. After all......
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2010, 11:57:41 AM »

Reminds me of a couple of sayings:
"I'd rather live a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep."
And, JJ paraphrased:

"When I die, I want life to have been going through the gears burning rubber, accelerating to 140+, passing cars, swerving and carrying on - until I slide in sideways, spitting rocks and smoke, my body all used up, totally spent."    Grin
T

those 2 quotes kinda say it all!!

Been there, done that!!

I'm signed up to be an organ donor when I die, but I'll bet they'll have trouble finding
anything left in me worth transplanting into anyone else.

Enjoy what you can today, cause tomorrow might not get here!! (As I had a rude awakening to on Dec 18!!)

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2010, 12:00:03 PM »

Boy............. Did this thread go off-topic or what!!  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2010, 12:28:07 PM »

A fade out isnt even in my vocabularly. As anyone who really knows me I can be pretty wild when I want to but I dont go for the dumbing down that has taken over the country.  The so called AM glossary is simply another form of eubonics and I better not get into that on here Shocked Lips sealed other than to say both are degrading.

"When I die, I want life to have been going through the gears burning rubber, accelerating to 140+, passing cars, swerving and carrying on - until I slide in sideways, spitting rocks and smoke, my body all used up, totally spent."   
T

That will probably very close to the truth considering some of the toys I still drive Grin Back some years ago I lost a 66 Corvette roadster on an exit ramp somewhere around 120...it wasnt pretty.

Nuff said.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2010, 12:49:54 PM »

Many consider Internet forums dumbing-down and degrading.

One thing is for sure, ain't none of us living on the edge or really pushing very many limits.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2010, 12:55:45 PM »

Yea HUZ but the older we get the better we were.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2010, 01:02:55 PM »

One thing is for sure, ain't none of us living on the edge or really pushing very many limits.

'cause we're all getting older and (somewhat) wiser. Unfortunately as we get older the brain swells and the ba's shrink Shocked   Grin

but what some of us did in the past sure comes back to haunt us  Grin  Shocked

How many old bikers have you ever seen that dont walk with a limp Grin

What I used to do all night now takes me all night to do Grin  Grin

N8UH
Contributing

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2010, 01:04:52 PM »

This thread was about building a Maul without making it sing for it's supper. We were talking about how to make the Monkey swing using toobs that have enough scrot to drive a strapping 4X1 without sounding Yellowee or using Loop or shock modulation. We were also talking about JSing a scrotful non-Crapstal (who wants to rubberize a crapstal anyway?) exciter to this thing. There were definitely some Old-Buzzard transmissions, but not too much Pissing and Moaning.

Now, I'm not a JN. I'm comfortable with Drilling and Blasting. I've built all kinds of Piss Weak gear. I just think building a Strapping Maul is far more Intrascent then Pissing and Moaning on Slop Bucket.

But, we are all AMers (or budding AMers). No need to get Yellowified.

Grin Grin Grin Am I doing it right? Grin Grin Grin

Seriously guys -  This forum is unique in the fact that there is so much combined wisdom and knowledge. Most folks here are extremely knowledgeable and experienced - and are willing to share that knowledge and experience with the rest of us. If folks want to use a bit of slang here and there to keep things fun, so be it. I'm having fun, and learning a ton too. Smiley

If you really want to see dumbing-down, look on Facebook, or Myspace, or Twitter, or try reading an email or post from someone who insists on using text-speak, or...

By comparison, we're doing pretty good here! Grin

-Tim
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2010, 01:08:35 PM »

Yep, legends in our own minds.

Memories, light corners of my mind.......   Cry

<Cough>
<gag>   Tongue

Yea HUZ but the older we get the better we were.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2010, 01:09:07 PM »

This thread was about building a Maul without making it sing for it's supper. We were talking about how to make the Monkey swing using toobs that have enough scrot to drive a strapping 4X1 without sounding Yellowee or using Loop or shock modulation. We were also talking about JSing a scrotful non-Crapstal (who wants to rubberize a crapstal anyway?) exciter to this thing. There were definitely some Old-Buzzard transmissions, but not too much Pissing and Moaning.

Now, I'm not a JN. I'm comfortable with Drilling and Blasting. I've built all kinds of Piss Weak gear. I just think building a Strapping Maul is far more Intrascent then Pissing and Moaning on Slop Bucket.

But, we are all AMers (or budding AMers). No need to get Yellowified.

Grin Grin Grin Am I doing it right? Grin Grin Grin

I LOVE IT ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !  Grin  Grin  Grin

This guy learns fast!!     May your maul strap and never sound hyellowie!!  Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015