The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:00:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 813 Rig - Slight change of plans...  (Read 28638 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2010, 01:09:59 PM »

Excellent. Hiram would be proud.

This thread was about building a Maul without making it sing for it's supper. We were talking about how to make the Monkey swing using toobs that have enough scrot to drive a strapping 4X1 without sounding Yellowee or using Loop or shock modulation. We were also talking about JSing a scrotful non-Crapstal (who wants to rubberize a crapstal anyway?) exciter to this thing. There were definitely some Old-Buzzard transmissions, but not too much Pissing and Moaning.

Now, I'm not a JN. I'm comfortable with Drilling and Blasting. I've built all kinds of Piss Weak gear. I just think building a Strapping Maul is far more Intrascent then Pissing and Moaning on Slop Bucket.

But, we are all AMers (or budding AMers). No need to get Yellowified.

Grin Grin Grin Am I doing it right? Grin Grin Grin

Seriously guys -  This forum is unique in the fact that there is so much combined wisdom and knowledge. Most folks here are extremely knowledgeable and experienced - and are willing to share that knowledge and experience with the rest of us. If folks want to use a bit of slang here and there to keep things fun, so be it. I'm having fun, and learning a ton too. Smiley

If you really want to see dumbing-down, look on Facebook, or Myspace, or Twitter, or try reading an email or post from someone who insists on using text-speak, or...

By comparison, we're doing pretty good here! Grin
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2010, 01:26:54 PM »

One thing is for sure, ain't none of us living on the edge or really pushing very many limits.

Hey, one time I returned a video tape and didn't even rewind it!

And you know those bits of toothpaste that fall out of your mouth when brushing?  I dry 'em out and leave 'em around the house as after-dinner-mints for my guests.

Don't tell me I don't live on the edge.

T

BTW, excellent Tron-eeze text Tim... Grin)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2010, 01:35:05 PM »

Yes, he will have to endure one more right of passage:

Getting on AM and hearing Timmy (the Tron) say:

"Err, I can hear ya up here, but yer kinda piss weak"

Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N8UH
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2010, 02:33:18 PM »

Yes, he will have to endure one more right of passage:

Getting on AM and hearing Timmy (the Tron) say:

"Err, I can hear ya up here, but yer kinda piss weak"

Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

I can't wait! Grin

-Tim
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2010, 02:33:49 PM »

The CB-esque lingo I hear from the AM crowd doesn't bother me because I can tell it's tongue-in-cheek.  It's different when someone tells me what his "personal" is or signs out with "threes" or "seventy-thirds", or tells me I am wall-to-wall treetop tall. But even so, it still doesn't make me walk round with a turd in my pocket.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »

I still drink from containers in the fridge....when nobody is looking
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2010, 06:19:53 PM »

Yeah, so do I but then, I live alone...

Timtronese is another form of "Pidgin" speak, like Ebonics...

A little bit goes a long way for me...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2010, 06:36:42 PM »

A few terms that have crept into the hobby that mildly annoy me are calling a jack on a rig a "port" as in "antenna port."  That one I think has come in from the computer crowd.  A few others I'm getting used to:  "Key up" and calling any transmitter, receiver or transceiver a radio.  I have (sadly) found myself doing that also.  It was something I noticed immediately when I got back active again 10 years ago after being QRT for 18 years.   In my salad days a "radio" was the broadcast rx in the bathroom or car.  Hams had receivers, transceivers, rigs, and transmitters but no ham in a QSO ever said "what kind of radio do you have?"  Huh?   "A Zenith AM-FM upstairs in the kitchen."   It still grates on me for some reason.  Somehow in the 80s or 90s all our gear became radios.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
w5omr

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2010, 08:15:06 AM »

2. Use a single 4-1000 as my PA and find something to modulate it, perhaps a pair of 833s. That way, I could still use the 2 10VCT 10A transformers I have on the way.

3. Huh Something else Huh

2 10am fil xfmrs?  (4) 813's, push-pull parallel, modulating the 4-1000.

Variac the B+ supply for the final and screen voltage, run about 2400v on the 813's, and bias 'em off... 
thing of beauty.

john/WA5BXO has quad 813's modulating a pair of 250TH's.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015