The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:25:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Streaks on alum chasis  (Read 2117 times)
NR5A
« on: July 09, 2010, 11:51:10 PM »

I have a NC-300 that was given to me. It sat on a bench 3 years and was supposed to have worked, but you know the story on that. I'm a Novice when it comes to troubleshooting and restoring.

Tonite while waiting to get a tube from a buddy I started to clean the chasis, Using a cottonball, toothbrush, Fantastic, then alcohol it gets it really clean looking till it drys. When dry its leaving a white resdue thats a real pain to get off. When you get it off it comes back but not as bad as before. 

Is there anyway to make this process a one step deal?
KC4VWU

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 03:20:10 PM »

I'm thinking that it comes from a chemical reaction due to the fact that you're not removing it (the cleaner - Fantastik) completely. Just wiping it off with whatever isn't going to clean it off completely; you're going to have to really flush the work with plenty of water. Some people frown at the garden hose approach and I'm even a little apprehensive with some stuff, but if you take precautions, it works really good. Front panel, s-meter, dial and "glass", speaker if applicable, and all other sensitive items have to be removed first. It is good to cover RF and IF cans and transformers with some plastic and rubber bands. Usually, only the top of the chassis is needing cleaned anyways, so hitting it with the hose from the top isn't going to get the underside appreciably wet. Wipe it down with paper towels first, then put it in the oven on the lowest setting for a while to get the hidden moisture out or let it naturally dry for a week.

Or, just use Windex if it is just dirty and not oxidized. I've never had a problem with it doing that.

73, Phil
K9PNP

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 11:54:32 AM »

I second on what VWU said about the Windex.  I have used window cleaner for some time as a primary cleaner for old rigs and it is a little more work intensive but a lot less of a problem that some of the more stringent cleaners.  As long as you don't get a rig like the S-77 I acquired that took Gunk engine cleaner to clean up the inside of the cabinet from where it has set in a garage for many years, the window cleaner works OK.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 11:56:43 AM »

Send jpeg?

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015