The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:00:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Test  (Read 11499 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: July 02, 2010, 08:03:06 PM »

For some fun - take a look at the sentence on the bottom of the page in CAPITAL letters. Read it once as you count the number of F's you read.  Do it now and come back to this point before reading on...

How many F's did you count?  If only three, then try again before reading on - there are more than three F's.

I've had this card in my wallet since the 80's.   Over 90% of the people I show it to count only three F's. There are actually six.  Print it out and try it on a few friends and see.  Axe them several times if they are sure - they will take the bait over and over... Grin

The reason is the of's sound like ov's to the brain...

My card sample is typed up exactly as shown. I don't know if the hypens are really needed or not, but that's how it's typed out.  I see it's on Google, so maybe this has already been seen by everyone, I dunno.

Did anyone count six the first shot?  I remember only one guy who got it right - he instinctively used his finger to uncover each letter at a time. No one else did this.

Taking the kayak out sailing this weekend on the CT River --- ahhhhhhh.

T
----------------------------

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-
IC STUDY COMBINED WITH THE
EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

* 4X1 Rig 190.jpg (319.84 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 386 times.)

* 4X1 Rig 209.jpg (325.79 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 347 times.)

* 4X1 Rig 204.jpg (329.86 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 380 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 09:50:22 PM »

I counted six 'fs' the first time. How could anyone miss them?

I like your sailboat and would like to join you! My dad was a boater, and boat builder, building them of welded sheet steel--no ribs. Lots lighter than wooden boats with ribs. One he built was a 36' cabin cruiser--draft 8" not including prop and rudder. His last build was a 27' sloop, of which I have great memories, including climbing the mast when the mainsail halyard broke.

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 10:11:02 PM »

I counted 3.  Walt, did you READ it first?  I think that really sets up the deception.  If you simply start counting without reading, you're more likely to catch all 6 I think.  I copied and pasted it to a larger text processor (windows write) and my 14 year old son also replied 3.

Admittedly, I actually counted 3 twice until I read on about "OF". 

Ya got me Tom!

AMI#1684
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 10:46:42 PM »

when i counted i got 5 but that was because i miised one of the of's, which in my mind never sounds like ov to me and sounds more like ah when i pronounce it do to how fast and sloppily i usually talk

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 10:59:39 PM »

No John, I didn't read it first--just started counting the 'fs'. Yer probably right concerning reading it first and missing the 'ofs'. Good point.

Walt

KA2DZT

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 02:11:54 AM »

I counted 3 F's, read it again and counted 3 F's the second time.

3 F's + 3 F's = 6 F's Grin
W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 07:36:07 AM »

Kept counting three F's unit I read your whole message and said should be 6
F's guess I'm normal    Wink
w1vtp

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 08:28:36 AM »

Devil's in the details, or in this case the little words.  Nice wake-me-up.  And that was after only 1/2 cup of BEAN.

Al
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 05:22:04 PM »

8 F's- Antenna Engineer
7 F's - Business Development
6 F's - Export Control
5 F's - Drawing Checker
4 F's - Technical Lead
3 F's - Manufacturing
2 F's - Quality
1 F - Finance
No F's Noticed - Program Manager

These are the good old days of AM
ka3zlr
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 05:45:33 PM »

Swing..an a miss....wpheeeeuu....
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 10:26:21 PM »

Got 6 the first time...

read it backwards; kinda like a proof reader.

klc

What? Me worry?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 12:56:29 AM »

I read it first, then counted 5 first time. Then counted 4, then 6.  It took several tries before I counted the same number going forwards and backwards.

I think you are less likely to make the "ov" error counting backwards than counting as you read in a forward direction.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N8LGU

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 08:14:29 AM »

I counted 3 first time. Then I carefully counted again being very slow and deliberate. Still counted 3! Makes me wonder what things I am missing in my normal daily routines. Kind of scary.

"Rock Cave Dave"
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 11:30:28 AM »

I counted 3 first time. Then I carefully counted again being very slow and deliberate. Still counted 3! Makes me wonder what things I am missing in my normal daily routines. Kind of scary.

Yep, I get the same feeling, Dave. These kinds of "trick"  tests are humbling.  I counted only three the first few times too, so I know it works.  Yes, the trick to catching all six F's is going backwards so that the words don't make sense and phonetics are meaningless - or uncover each letter one at a time.

I think the first two words, "finished files" set us up looking for the hard "FFFF" sound. After that, we tend to skim and miss the "V' sounds... Wink

I once tried it on my  boss at the time in 1987. He had a big ego and acted like a know-it-all. When he came up with three F's I axed him four times in a row to recheck. He started to get irritated. After pointing  out six he looked at it in disbelief and just handed the card back and walked away....  He was POed.  He's the same guy I used one of those gag handshake buzzers on one time. He never seemed to like me after that....   Some people just can't take a joke...  Grin Grin

Walt - Fasinating about your OM building sailboats using sheet steel. He must have been some homebrewer!  Maybe you have a few pics of his boats.    Yaz and I did at least 10 miles up and down the CT River both days. He loves to get out on the beaches where the power boats tie up and run with the kids and other dogs. There are tidal pools that pull in and out with the moon, so are fun to wade and explore. The big power boat waves don't bother me at all - we just bounce up and down and the water bails itself out with the kayak venturis. I can go anywhere with this rig - down small streams, etc where sailboats and power boats wouldn't dare to. When the wind is up we skim along with the best of them. The range is X2 with the sails compared to standard kayaks.. I paddle when I must - sail when I can...  Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 01:06:18 PM »

What are the torpedoes for?
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 01:49:30 PM »

What are the torpedoes for?

Bill -

They're for the jet-skiers when they get too close.  Assuming you're serious, here's the schtick:

The torpedos are outriggers, or so-called patoons that provide rotational (longitudinal) stability when potentially flipping over. They're homebrew from 6" PVC pipe, alum tubing and alum rail fittings. They work on leverage. The farther out they extend, the more leverage to keep the boat from capsizing.   Normally a kayak doesn't need them, even though they do flip at times. But with Yaz walking around the fore and aft randomly, big boat waves and a sudden gust hitting the sail from the side they are truly needed here. I've flipped just one time in 3 years. It was a few weeks ago in deep water from a big wind gust. Yaz got thrown in and was swimming around the boat trying to get back in. I lost his leash, my hat and sun glasses. Getting the boat upright once it's upside down is a chore with the outriggers, sail and one person, but it can be done if practiced. I spent an hour practicng in shallower water. Yaz doesn't seem to mind anymore.... Wink

When I lived in Colo there weren't many places for sailing, no?  I guess they saved it all up and put it all in the Colo River.  I did like boating on Lake Powell?, Utah. Nice place. Some big cat sailers in there.

T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR5aMY9uGJU&feature=fvw

BTW. I'm thinking of buying a Roland RD-700SX piano. I was lookin on YouTube at the demos and came across this guy... unreal drum solo on a piano...

W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 03:41:56 PM »

Hello Tom,

Just finished viewing your fabulous bio page on QRZ! Very impressive!!! Your antenna farm is as impressive as K3LR's. Your rigs are pretty handsome, too.

Speaking of my dad and his boats, he was a genious and creative mechanical engineer and machinist. He was also a ham, an astronomer, telescope builder, and of course, boat builder.

I'm going to include some pics, as you requested, of two of his several boats, one of his several reflecting telescopes, and his ham shack in 1956.

In one of the boat pics, the one showing the bow of the 36' footer, I'm the little guy sitting on the canopy. This was in 1928 when I was nine.

The pic of the 27' sloop suspended at the rear of the truck shows how we trailered it. He built the sloop in 1936.

The pic of the telescope shows the one he built on contract for the Daytona Beach Astronomical Society in 1938, a pic of which appears in Ingalls 'Amateur Telescope Making' book.

More pics in the next post.

Walt

* W8YNG2.jpg (91.9 KB, 793x631 - viewed 295 times.)

* Harvey Walker & Me2001.jpg (109.8 KB, 1414x1786 - viewed 350 times.)

* Helen Ada2.jpg (220.61 KB, 1364x776 - viewed 354 times.)

W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 03:47:25 PM »

Forgot to mention, my Dad built the rigs seen in the pic of his ham station.

The pics of the sloop are included here.

Since only three attachments are allowed in one post, the pic of the telescope will be in the next post.

Walt

* Polaris1.jpg (202.02 KB, 732x1252 - viewed 388 times.)

* Polaris8.jpg (499.2 KB, 1784x960 - viewed 345 times.)

* Polaris3.jpg (162.68 KB, 736x1256 - viewed 295 times.)

W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 04:11:09 PM »

The three pics attached are of the telescope he built for the Daytona Beach Astronomical Society.

The first pic shows the original setup in front of his machine shop in Mt. Pleasant, MI, our home town.

The second pic shows it anchored down on open ground south of Daytona.

The third pic shows it on the campus of Stetson University, DeLand, FL. After WW2 the ambient light south of Daytona was too high for astronomical pursuits, so the Astronomical Society donated the telescope to Stetson U. 

Note that the mounting section is the rear-axle housing from a 1927 Chevrolet, taken from a junk yard.

Walt

* In Mt Pleasant015.jpg (68.6 KB, 1628x930 - viewed 372 times.)

* In Daytona Beach018.jpg (107.24 KB, 1274x761 - viewed 306 times.)

* At DeLand 003.jpg (45.09 KB, 736x784 - viewed 348 times.)

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 04:55:21 PM »

Well first I only counted four- F's the first time round, then I just looked at each individual letter (not reading) and found the "of"s .  That's me though Always rushing in...

Wow Walt.  You OM's boat's are very nice!  Sheet steel?  That's Manly Boat-building. That sloop had nice lines too, looked like it would have been a good cruiser on the open ocean. 
I sail around on a converted john-boat. I added a big sprit-sail (too big really, but strapping is good right?  Big Poly-tarp sail with No dagger or leeboards, and she beats to windward FB, once you dig in the sharp corner (chine).  Since it's flat bottomed she GOES.   Someday I'll get aroundd to-it and build a real hull that'll FLY.  People stop and stare, sometimes laugh, until the see her turn to windward and Go.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 06:02:57 PM »

Well Ed, we sailed both of the boats shown on Saginaw Bay and Lake Huron. They both had a galley, head, and four bunks. The sloop had self-bailing scuppers. Dad sold the sloop to a local guy, who trailered it to Cincinnati and launched it in the Ohio River, then sailed it down the Mississippi into the Gulf of Mexico and on to Cedar Key, FL. That is the last we knew of it.

As I said in an earlier post, my Dad's boats were all built of sheet steel, 1/8" thick if I remember correctly, but with one bulkhead and no ribs. He reasoned that having curved steel pieces welded together from different angles would rigidize each other, which they did. One time we foundered on rocks with the sloop with such force that would have stoven in a wooden boat of like make, but all that happened was paint scraped from the bow. We had great fun sailing them, and as a kid I have great memories of the sailings.

Walt

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 07:14:26 PM »

Amazing pictues, Walt!   Your OM was a true homebrewer and reminds me of the telescope work done by Russell Porter of Sellafane fame.  Amazing how he improvised with junkyard stuff. That tow vehicle set up was quite strapping for the 1929 era.

I see he liked the old modified English mount. That's the most stable design for polar scopes. Compare that to a single pier.

I like that sloop. The mast for the main sail is tremendously tall. I'll bet that thing was a handful in big winds.

Thanks for posting, OM.

T

WA1GFZ

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 07:22:30 PM »

As a St Anderson sucker I was afraid to count...actually got 5 the first try.
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 07:57:36 PM »

Tom, Russell Porter stopped by Daytona Beach and inspected my Dad's scope, and was impressed by the wide and stable mounting. Told my Dad it was the most stable scope he'd ever seen. Porter had seen the pic of it in the 'Amateur Telescope Book'. Dad and Porter corresponded quite regularly.

Walt

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 08:33:18 PM »

How 'bout that. As you well know, Russell Porter is a god in the telescope making world. Designed the 200" Hale telescope.

Do you know how all of those scopes were protected from the WX?  Did they use some kind of roll-away shelters?

I'm also a tele-builder. I built a set of Newtonian 10" reflector binoculars that were mounted in a moving "telephone booth" style enclosure. I could ride in comfort.

Also have a 22" reflector with a 28" optical flat that is similar to Porters famous turret scope. Something like a heliostat or sideostat. Instead, mine uses a 18' tall fixed frame to hold the primary above the flat. The flat has a 6" hole and is controlled by steppers and a computer. The eyepiece is in a wx proof shelter below the flat for comfort.

Yep, scopes are pretty cool.

T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015