The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:32:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get rid of footprints from "mud" and latex paint - Latex paint overspray?  (Read 3182 times)
w1vtp

« on: July 03, 2010, 08:48:22 AM »

The only really downer from my new shack construction is the clods that left their footprints from spackling mud and some latex paint.  I would like to get them off my nice glass smooth concrete floor.

Any ideas?

BTW - the page 3 shot shows my 120, 220 outlets from left to right (all in line with each other) a quad 20 amp 120, next a 220 20 amp, and a dup 120 20 amp for my 813 xmtr (soon to start build on that)

Al

Here are the pics  Sorry

* FOOTPRINTS&OVERSPRAY.pdf (1346.51 KB - downloaded 203 times.)
KC2YOI
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 09:48:37 AM »

Hello Al
I would sacrifice a few scraper type razors for starters. Try a sweeping motion as opposed to a low angle. Follow up with a stiff wire brush and don't concentrate on just the smudges, work a large area to blend.

My only other thought is that that concrete is still fresh. It may pay to let it cure a bit more before messin with it.
Even very dilute muriatic  acid may leave a tattoo at this point.

Good luck. Any more Pics??
                                                              DJ
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 09:51:24 AM »

The mud will wash off with water and a sponge.

If the paint is only a few days old, it may come off easy too.

Use a Scotch-bright pad, or sponge with a "scrubbing pad".

ka3zlr
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 10:08:43 AM »

I would assume this is part of the clods job cleaning up their mess before they leave.

Jack.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 12:23:32 PM »

Reminds me of when I first acquired my "shack" and had it moved to its present location.  I was working full time back then and didn't have time to paint it, so in order to save the exterior wood from further deterioration over the winter, I hired a clod, the unemployed husband of the lady at the day-care where my daughter attended, to at least take a stab at putting on a coat paint.  The work was all exterior, but later on I discovered that the imbecile had some how managed to enter the building and leave a huge white hand print on the side rail of one of my nice black wrinkle relay racks. Of course, by then the paint was thoroughly dry.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w1vtp

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 07:03:12 PM »

Update:  I did some work this afternoon and it seems that I will probably be able to get the footprints up and also the overspray.  The technique is thus: first scrape up the big mud splats with a putty knife (and vacuum).  Then slobber some water over a small area. Then use my floor machine (two counter rotating brushes) to clean up the "evidence."  Follow this up with my shop wet vac instead of smearing the crud over the floor.  Turns out the foot prints are mostly from the mud splats so my worse fears were not realized.  I did notice some great improvement on some of the overspray while using the floor machine.

I have a couple of scotch brite pads that go under the brushes that will really do a number on the over spray but I'll check with the contractor first.  The clod painter?  I don't want him in my shack where he can do any more harm.

Thanks for the advise

Al
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 09:04:12 PM »

Al,
Consider a couple coats of epoxy paint on the concrete. It will do a great job keepinfg the dust down. A friend and I had good luck with it when we built passive solar rooms connected to the house. The concrete dust was all over the house until it was sealed. You can add sand finish if you want more traction.
It can be slick when wet.
w1vtp

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 09:53:48 PM »

Al,
Consider a couple coats of epoxy paint on the concrete. It will do a great job keepinfg the dust down. A friend and I had good luck with it when we built passive solar rooms connected to the house. The concrete dust was all over the house until it was sealed. You can add sand finish if you want more traction.
It can be slick when wet.

Frank

I may follow your advise.  I'm already having the radio room done Wednesday by my contractor.  How much of a job is it. I may try it myself in the storage room.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 11:04:53 AM »

They sell stuff that is specifically for garage floors... I'd use that, and check to see what its properties are like when WET - the last thing you need is a surface that is slick like ice when it gets wet.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 09:01:09 AM »

Al,
We used this in our newest garage and it worked great.  The only thing that we found that will attack the finish is brake fluid.  As usual, prep is the key to a long and lasting finish. 

http://www.musclegloss.com/

Regards,
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015