The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:36:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shaded Dipole on Iphone4  (Read 12868 times)
WA3VJB
« on: June 24, 2010, 01:12:22 PM »

The new Iphone4 may have a design problem making it an undesireable QRP rig.

The issue relates to the mobile phone signal, with users reporting a drop in signal strength when the phone is held.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8759590.stm

I can hear it now, from the TimTron:

What ya need to do is feed the IPhone with open wire line, and make the antenna a double-extended Zepp. 

Antenna A  !!!   (pissweak)

Antenna B  !!!  (strapping !)

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 09:04:02 PM »

The guy who stole the prototype left behind in the bar should have run some tests with it before he returned it.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
AB3FL
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 09:50:36 PM »

just another POS from crApple......

Tom - AB3FL
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 11:23:39 AM »

A family member works for apple. This thing is garbage with a capitol G. Just like almost all apple products.  I have tried to like them many times.  But in the end. Its low level consumer junk.

The family held an "intervention" because of this persons Crappy ATT/Iphone. Its nearly useless.  The damn thing wont even work in the persons HOME!  They has to step outside to make a call.  Then.. When you do get them on the phone, Its likely to cut out and Drop the call. 

C
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 11:56:50 AM »

There is no data to confirm that. The Iphone only works on ATT.

C
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 12:39:56 PM »

I am told you can Crack the Iphone and use it on other services like Verizon or T mobile.  I dont know anyone that has done this so I cant comment. The app is called Jail break. I see adds on Craigslist of people in the area that will do this for you. I also understand that if you Drop it and break the thing, The insurance is non existent on a phone that is not on ATT.

I wanted an Iphone for a long time.  But I run a biz and I cant deal with a phone that Drops calls. I got an Apple I touch for xmas (go figure) and I actualy like the thing for one purpose.. I can watch wide screen movies on the plane when I travel and I can listen to music.  The games and things are neat but I dont find myself playing them much.  I do use the sniper balistics application sometimes Smiley,  The electronic level is neat and hams have offered lots of neat applications such as DXcluster and Geocron type clock.

I spoke with a man in California on 75 meters using his Iphone. He wrote and application to control his radio back at home from anywhere in the world. The audio was top notch, No delay and I had no idea he was on an Iphone.  Lots of neat features.. But crappy service and Drop calls is a no go.

C
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 12:54:20 PM »

People use them on verizon all the time once cracked.  You dont use verizons CDMA.

C
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 02:34:09 PM »

Hmmm.  So its on verizon, but its not on verizon at the same time. Good stuff.

C
wb6kwt
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 09:13:55 AM »

i can confirm this problem. I picked up my Iphone4 on Friday and noticed right away that my wife's Iphone3 was able to make calls when mine didn't even have a signal and we were standing right next to each other. I haven't tried using blue tooth, maybe that will be better. I do live on the edge of cell reception but this is troubling. Roll Eyes

Bob
wb6kwt
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 05:11:14 PM »

I think you'll finally see an Iphone on Verizon when all of the providers move to the next generation of network, LTE. That seems to be about 18 months out for the major cities. I'd probably give one a try but Verizon is the only game in our rural area, and even that doesn't work too well in some places.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 06:02:03 PM »

The old technology works better.  Analog with an antenna, done.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 06:35:45 PM »

Back in the late 90s I had to go to huge copper mines to hook up single mode data runs.  The company gave me an old Motorola Brick phone.  We laughed.. Then one day we needed to use the phone, I pulled out my Sprint phone. Dead.. No bars.  Turned on that old Brick, Full bars.  Clear call. LOL

C
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 07:04:33 PM »

why do I keep thinking "shaded pole"?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WA3VJB
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 09:11:16 PM »

The local newspaper on Sunday had an article about the IP4, and said one "fix" by a user he has heard about involves putting a piece of electrical tape over a gap in a metal trim piece that apparently serves as the antenna.

Insulating this gap against direct touch minimizes the RF attenuation caused as the hand "connects" that bare trim to other parts of the phone.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 11:12:47 PM »

" I don't see how that would make any difference at all. To me it would be less harmful on the top of the phones."

Brian,

You just don't understand.... ..   Thought, logic or the scientific method should never be used in a public forum. It just goes to show that you don't have the proper feelings.

klc

What? Me worry?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 06:29:21 PM »

Joke. Laugh now.   Grin

You just don't understand.... ..   Thought, logic or the scientific method should never be used in a public forum. It just goes to show that you don't have the proper feelings.

What  Huh Huh Huh

I wonder how her cell phone works?

* cellphone.jpg (82.04 KB, 400x600 - viewed 437 times.)
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 06:52:51 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 04:56:43 PM »

Both stocks closed at the bell on the positive side today.

AT&T Inc.
52 week low - $23.19

52 week high - $28.73

Verizon
52 week low - $24.76

52 week high - $31.90

AT&T - http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/T/analystestimates?CountryCode=US

Verizon - http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/vz/analystestimates

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 05:29:46 PM »

AT&T's stock was down right before I went to lunch.

You know what's probably going on don't ya? Apple probably knew all along that the bars on their phones read too high, it may have even been intentional. I'm sure it made their phones and AT&T's service look a lot better.

Now with the new iPhone4 antenna disaster the cat is out of the bag and it’s a way for them to shift the blame on AT&T.

It just keeps getting funnier every day Grin

Maybe when they fix the bars and everyone sees just how crappy AT&T coverage really is it will finally give them a reason to create a Verizon phone.

Life and times are always funnier in the corporate world. Been there for many years and with many stories.
Apple down at closing and still going down after hours.

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »

w5hro,

What is a low microOhm triode?

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 08:27:30 AM »

I would just say "low mu triodes".

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 02:51:13 PM »

I'm a lefty but don't own and Iphone. Don't want one. No need for it. Being a lefty however sucks in a right hand world.  You right handers suck  Grin

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA3VJB
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 04:41:39 PM »

Wow. Haven't seen the Consumer Reports, but their "not recommended" may have the effect of confirming all the internet chatter for people who were in the market for the IP4.

I was disappointed when Apple's initial response was to blame the way the phone displays signal strength, claiming the engineers applied an incorrect formula as to how many bars = how much signal. 

The approach completely ignored the actual problem owners noticed -- signal dropouts -- and tried to move the discussion away from the issue of a poor design causing a shorted antenna.

It's sort of how the ARRL treats confrontations when it has a bad scheme or policy. Don't really answer the questions from the greater amateur community, but instead respond with some other, marginally related issue and say there's great progress solving that problem.

ah-hehnh.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 04:47:31 PM »

The approach completely ignored the actual problem owners noticed -- signal dropouts -- and tried to move the discussion away from the issue of a poor design causing a shorted antenna.

A good marketing person will always try to move the blame to someone or something else.  Grin

WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 02:55:35 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03LmETjo-LA

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015