The AM Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:36:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone seen the Pink Panther? ?  (Read 8749 times)
The Slab Bacon

« on: July 05, 2010, 03:34:10 PM »

Since many of us share different hobbies as well as ham radio. I figgered this is as good a place as any to put some feelers out. Since the need for speed still weighs heavy in my heart, I figgered I'd toss it out to youse guys.

A very dear friend of mine is trying to find this car. His father was the mechanic for this car 39 years ago. It still carries many fond memories for many of us Mopar guys down this way. the father is not doing well in the health department, and the son wants to find this car to restore it and present it to his father as a gift. It would be fairly easy to build a clone / reproduction, but that's not the deal here. the original Panther had a handful of subtle nuances that were different from the production version. We have traced some of the history of it and it goes dead end from around 30 years back. If any of youse guys have even a slight clue, or one of those "yea, I saw it 20 years ago" stories, please contact us as soon as possible.

Either contact me, or Tommy --grncpe@comcast.net-- (delete spamming dashes)

{a note to the moderators, please don't move this to the "wanted" section, It should get a lot more exposure here}

The Slab Bacon

* 5883572-Pink_Panther_0.jpg (84.67 KB, 608x488 - viewed 337 times.)

* Pink_Panther_2.jpg (157.15 KB, 1023x739 - viewed 380 times.)

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 07:13:27 PM »

If you have the VIN, Carfax.com will locate it for you.
WA1QHQ

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 07:39:36 PM »

You may want to place an add in National Dragster the NHRA mouth piece. If you want a Direct Connection to the Mopar community post in www.moparts.com this is the largest on line site for Chrysler enthusiasts and there is a very active racer forum. I am not familar with the Pink Panther but if you could give a little more info such as whether it was a factory super stock car, engine (Hemi I hope) and where it raced, NHRA region, you might be able to track it down. Old factory mopar super stock and AFX cars are going for a fortune these days even as basket cases. I will be at Chryslers at Carlisle next weekend and will keep an eye out for you.

Mark  WA1QHQ
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 08:46:49 AM »

If you have the VIN, Carfax.com will locate it for you.

Bill,
     I dont think Carfax will ever find that one. It never had a title or was registered, it was a factory race car and sold on a bill of sale only!!

You may want to place an add in National Dragster the NHRA mouth piece. If you want a Direct Connection to the Mopar community post in www.moparts.com this is the largest on line site for Chrysler enthusiasts and there is a very active racer forum. I am not familar with the Pink Panther but if you could give a little more info such as whether it was a factory super stock car, engine (Hemi I hope) and where it raced, NHRA region, you might be able to track it down. Old factory mopar super stock and AFX cars are going for a fortune these days even as basket cases. I will be at Chryslers at Carlisle next weekend and will keep an eye out for you.

Mark  WA1QHQ

Thanks, Mark,
                   It was an original factory super stock car! 426 Max wedge under the hood, and aluminum fenders, hood *and doors*!! One of the things making it difficult is that the son (Tommy Jr.) is trying to dig that car up without his father (Tommy Sr.) finding out about it, since he wants to give it to his father as a gift.

He (Jr) is going to carlisle this coming weekend, he has asked me to go, but I just dont know if I can do that much walking, (and drooling) in one day. We all come from a long line of Mopaholics!!

The Slab Bacon

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:16:48 AM »

Heh Heh! I remember seeing that car run at York many, many moons ago. I can still hear my dad talking about it. Incidently, the one picture was taken up at ATCO in NJ. That was always a nice venue but I miss York  Cry

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 09:36:13 AM »

I recommend also floating an ad in Hemmings.

If you hit pay dirt, I bet they would do a story on the car since you've got some first-hand storytelling for them in an article, with photos.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 09:52:19 AM »

Heh Heh! I remember seeing that car run at York many, many moons ago. I can still hear my dad talking about it. Incidently, the one picture was taken up at ATCO in NJ. That was always a nice venue but I miss York  Cry

Mike,
       I also have fond memories from York!! That was the cleanest track around. I took many a "before eliminations" catnap in the grass there! I used to love when they would stop the races for a minute or 2 for a plane to land, and the trackside announcer would announce the plane and give it's particulars as if it was one of the racecars. I always thought that was cute!! I was heartbroken when they stopped the racing there Cry  Cry

The summernationals at ATCO was like the "pilgrimage to mecca" for us east coast racers!!
Life was good back then!! Grin  Grin

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 10:42:18 AM »

If no trace of a car has been seen for 30 years, it is likely in a field somewhere with trees growing through the rusted out body if it hasn't been reduced to a small cube of steel and melted down.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 11:03:11 AM »

If no trace of a car has been seen for 30 years, it is likely in a field somewhere with trees growing through the rusted out body if it hasn't been reduced to a small cube of steel and melted down.

Maybe it's with Christine.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 12:05:51 PM »

If that was it's unfitting end, it would be a shame for a rare factory-built race car. But at least we would know. The problem is that you cant trace it by the VIN number, since it has never been titled or registered, the only one that MAY have any any information pertaining to the vin# is the factory, and that was tooooo many years ago. (1964)

Cars like that tend to get bought and sold many times throughout their lifetime. I did know the first set of owners after Sonny Freeman sold it. But no trace after that. But I have been out of racing for many years and am definately way "out of the loop". That car was too rare and special to have ended up in a scrapyard unless it was wrecked way beyond any possible repair. The Engine alone is worth a king's ransom since Stage III Max Wedges are rared than 426 Hemis, and cast in unobtanium.......................

KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 12:21:45 PM »

www.pantherpink.com

www.thepinkcar.com

www.forabodiesonly.com

www.hotrodders.com

www.cars-on-line.com

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 09:05:32 AM »

If anyone was following this story, the car has been found. rusty and neglected but except for the motor and transmission still intact. The very rare aluminum body parts are still all there. It was sold to a new owner just 2 months ago (for an astronomical price) and is at a resto shop awaiting a total restoration and on to become part of a private collection as an original max wedge superstock car.
(but not as the Pink Panther)  Cry  Cry

Many thanks to all of those who helped in the search!!

The Slab Bacon

KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 09:14:25 AM »

Nice to hear it has been found and will be restored, even in different colors.  Maybe we will see it make a few runs on the Speed Channel some day!

b.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
KC2YOI
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »

Da' Yin and da' Yang of it all.....
While it's a bummer it has lost it's original identity, it's nothing short of a miracle it wasn't parted out. ( Aluminum body survivor = hens teeth! )  
Cool story and follow up.

I stumbled across a 4spd Malibu I built from the ground up 15 years before and sold before moving West.

It was as if I felt the damn car before I saw it at a show on Long Island.
The middle owner had taken credit for the build. I straightend that right out.  Cool

D
Can you hear me Kowalski ? KOWALSKI !?!
Among my all time favorite early 70's cult movies  Grin

* Bonus , early AM radio station & board shots in this flick also, station "KOW"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA4ymmXa8rs
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 02:12:14 PM »

Slabonium,

where is the story on the find?

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 09:12:29 PM »

Slabonium,

where is the story on the find?

_-_-

Bear,
       you heard it here first!! It was actually found for sale in Hemmings Motor news. My buddy misread it when he saw it in there and passed it by. (He asked me to kick him in the arse at least 6 times for missing it) The resto shop posted the VIN on the super stock registry looking for info on it, and Tommy called them to talk about it. that conversation confirmed that it was the real deal. the fellow that listed it in Hemmings knew what he had, cause he was asking REALLY BIG money for it. (and got it). The price for the "hulk" was near what Tommy figgered he'd have in it when done!!

But it's now in the hands of someone who knows what it is and appreciates it! Which is by far better than a recycling yard!

The Slab Bacon

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015