The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:36:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Class E, 24 pill Rico Suave Rolled into Corner - Completed - Pictures  (Read 15509 times)
W1IA

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 10:46:21 AM »

You guys make it look easy  Wink   
                                 Very nice beasties.
                                                   DJ
I'm not sure if difficult applies to construction so much as persistence. They take time DJ.....If I can build it anyone can! Tongue Jump in..the waters fine Wink
As JN has coined 10db of work  for 3db of gain HA Wink! Grin Grin

Brent
W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 11:42:11 AM »

These transmitters are relatively cookbook IF YOU FOLLOW THE RECIPE  Grin  There are a few absolutes that must be followed (like any transmitter project), and outside of these, it's all personal preference.

If you more or less stick to the RF layout, and TEST TEST TEST every stage along the way to find your mistakes (and we all make them - I sure do) and verify proper operation of every stage before applying [with your variac] one volt of DC to the RF amplifier, you will have a successful project  Cool

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 11:59:02 AM »

Yep, I agree that modular building and testing is the best way to go.

Also, we need to lay everything out so it is later accessible for repairs and modifications. I have seen a few rigs (including my own earlier e-rig) that was extremely difficult to work on. The ideal situation would probably be pull-out drawers. This time around I didn't even bother to tie wrap the wire harnesses. Anal wiring just leads to difficulty tracing and troubleshooting later on. I want my rig to be EASY to work on.  'Nuff said.

The latest E-rig innovation, digital drive, (with the homebrew analog VFO) is a nice addition. It's a more stable and reliable design. With this self-contained low level driver, there's no worry of blowing out the fets with a ricebox driver anymore - plus QSYing is a breeze without retuning the gate drive and worrying about imbalances, etc..

Looks like you have lots of room in there, Tina. I can see how it wud be easy to expand later on... Grin   You even left on that $25 price tag in pic #3. I guess it doesn't cost "only $20 and a handful of Fets" to build a class E rig anymore...

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 12:46:47 PM »

You even left on that $25 price tag in pic #3. I guess it doesn't cost "only $20 and a handful of Fets" to built a class E rig anymore...

T

Inflation!  Why, if we keep printing money the way we are it will soon be $100 and a handful of FETs  Grin

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015