The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:51:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HEMP SEED OIL  (Read 9563 times)
W2PFY
Contributing

« on: May 28, 2010, 09:30:48 AM »

http://hempoil.tng-secure.com/categories.php?category=Hemp-Seed-Oil

Looks like the folks in Canada can produce hemp seed oil for $67.00 a gallon. This seems to be a better alternative than alcohol made from corn if it were done in a large scale. I think hemp is a weed and will grow many places with little cultivation.

If you look on their site, they also have hemp coffee. That should give you a jolt Grin  Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »

Many people (myself when I was much younger) agree that hemp is a better alternative to alcohol.  Wink 

AMI#1684
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 01:22:30 PM »

The real reason that growing hemp is illegal in this country is to protect corn and timber interests.  Hemp is more efficient and cheaper to produce both for its oil and fibre content than are either corn or trees.

The "drug" issue is a bogus argument.  Getting high smoking industrial grade hemp would be comparable to getting drunk drinking O'Douls or Near-Beer. The Prohibitionists ought to be delighted with the idea, since fields full of hemp would cross-pollinate and spoil any near-by patches of pot pants.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
k3zrf

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 04:38:53 PM »

Can I replace corn/peanut /canola/vegetable oil with hemp oil in cooking??

Imagine the aroma  Cool

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 05:03:40 PM »

Can I replace corn/peanut /canola/vegetable oil with hemp oil in cooking??

Good question. I haven't looked it up yet so I don't know what the stuff is used for. Maybe pancake serpo??

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 05:22:22 PM »

there was a very nice Nat Geo Mag some years back the article was on Nepal... the people in the hills were cooking their meals with "hemp oil" and this was shown as the residue from making a black sticky blob that was smoked, or so they said. I can onlyl imagine what a meal there was like! Whew.

But the alcohol from grain for fuel had best be more like 67$ a barrel... not a gallon.

but yes, hemp is a viable alternative to many other fibers and oils... they used to make "blue jeans" from hemp fiber...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 05:38:55 PM »

Quote from: WBear2GCR link=topic=24269.msg179620#msg179620 date=12750817.

but yes, hemp is a viable alternative to many other fibers and oils... they used to make "blue jeans" from hemp fiber...

_-_-bear

That was back in the days before you would wear a hole in the knees of a brand new pair of jeans after wearing them only about a half dozen times to do physical work.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 06:04:40 PM »

The Niña, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria ships were full of hemp rope and hemp sails.  The word Canvas comes from cannabis.  hmmm Maybe I could start a cottage industry offering high tensile hemp antenna rope supports!  Oh wait, I would have to import all the hemp fiber and it would likely be way too costly.  Never mind.   Undecided

AMI#1684
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 08:49:35 PM »

natural fiber suck for rope work exposed to water or weather.  That is why all the rope on the old tall ships were tarred, for water proofing.  Also, the folks who recreate historical ships will use tan colored nylon or poly rope because it will last a lot longer.

Hemp fiber rope and yarn is sold legally here in the states in craft shops and you can even by hemp based clothes if the homespun look is you.

My son was using hemp and beads to make bracelets and necklaces and I showed him a turks head and money's paw knots.   The problem with the hemp is it shrinks alot after getting wet.  I can't imagine a shirt or pants made from the stuff that wouldn't shrink do child size after a trip through the laundry.

When I was a young private in the army, one of the less bright guys thought he would catch a cheap buzz by smoking the hemp rope off of the duce's canvas cover.  I think it was the fungicide that it was treated with that made him puking sick for a couple days.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 10:09:34 PM »

So the term "smoking rope" has some validity. heh!

AMI#1684
K5WLF
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 10:54:15 PM »

So the term "smoking rope" has some validity. heh!

Back about '69, a demo folk album came into the radio station I was working at. The artist's name was Jamie something. Seems like it might have been Bartlett, but don't get me to lyin' after all these years. He played a mean 12-string and sang pretty good. One side of the album was an epic song called "The Legend of the USS Titanic". Had to do with "Jack Johnson, the pugilist" boarding the Titanic in Southhampton with all he owned in a sack and "two hundred and ninety seven and a half feet of rope". By the time the ship got to the ice, Jack and the captain had smoked most of the rope and the captain was walking around the wheelhouse and finally looked out at the iceberg, took a big puff, held it for a while, let it out and said "I'm gonna move you". Nothing on the album fit our format and I gave the record a home in my collection. Over the years it's disappeared, so the 28 minute cut is lost in time. But, yeah John, back in the '60s, there was at least some musical validity to it. <G>

ldb
K5WLF
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 11:37:52 PM »

The original , The Titanic, was by Lead Belly.

Legend of the U.S.S. Titanic
by Jaime Brockett

So this time he's gonna tell the captain a little bit about this smoke that he's smokin'. He says "now the idea, Captain, the idea is to get this smoke way down deep inside your tummy n' hold it there just as long as you can it'll make you head feel good all inside. So the Captain says alright he takes himself three big tokes off that funny little brown weed n'
He says "I am commencing to hold it in!"

He walked around the wheelhouse.
He went downstairs
He laid down.
He get up he ran in the other room.
He sent a radiogram.
He came on back in.
He took a shower.
He come out.
He shaved.
He laid down.
He got up again.
He turned on the television.
He turned off the radio.
He played a game of cribbage.
He read his masked marvel comic book.
He walked thru the kitchen,
made a cup of tea,
made a cup of coffee,
sat down,
ate a piece of pie,
went upstairs,
played another game of cribbage,
went back in,
finished his other masked marvel comic book,
laid down,
he had the television, the radio, the egg beater, the air conditioner n'everything's all goin' at once. He walks up on deck and this is fifty two minutes later n' this cat ain't breathed yet!

So the First Mate see him standin' up there on the rail he's all puffed up like a balloon!
He says "ya gotta let it out, Captain!

So the Captain he let it all out at once.

Fallin' right down on the wheelhouse floor. He's out cold.

O-h-h-h, this just brings us up to what's happenin' again folks. The Titanic she's sailin' around in between the icebergs.

The First Mate's hangin' over there on the rail havin' himself a little smoke n' diggin' icebergs. And the Captain's out cold on the wheelhouse floor.

It was midnight on the sea,
the band was playin' "Nearer My God To Thee"
Fare thee well Titanic,
fare thee well.
Now he wouldn't let Jack Johnson on board
they said this ship don't haul no coal
Fare thee well Titanic,
fare thee well.

All of a sudden.... the Captain's eyes popped wide open. He stood right up straight..... Grabs a hold o' de wheel.... Looks on out at the bow o' dat boat n' he say "I'M GONNA MOVE YOU BABY!"

And he did right on into an iceberg n' she went right on down.

The whole thing is at                              
http://www.rkdn.org/titanic%20lyrics.htm

What? Me worry?
K5WLF
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 12:14:40 AM »

Kevin, you done good, as my old buddy Sammy Jackson used to say. That's it! I did misremember it a little bit, but I plead the passage of time.

I've bookmarked it. A link back to my former life as an on-air BC guy who never got to play that on the air :-(

If you ever run across an MP3 of it, I'd sure love to know about it.

Thanks.

ldb
K5WLF
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 01:32:01 AM »

Hempseed oil is pressed from the seed of the hemp (cannabis) plant irrespective of the strain of cannabis. However there is an extremely low or undetectable level of any psychoactive molecules in hemp seed oil as the seeds themselves do not contain psychoactive molecules. Cold pressed, unrefined hemp oil is dark to clear light green in color, with a pleasant nutty flavor. The darker the color, the grassier the flavour.

Refined hempseed oil is clear and colorless, with little flavour and lacks natural vitamins and antioxidants. Refined hempseed oil is primarily used in body care products. Industrial hempseed oil is used in lubricants, paints, inks, fuel, and plastics. Hempseed oil has found some limited use in the production of soaps, shampoos and detergents. The oil is of high nutritional value because its 3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 essential fatty acids, which matches the balance required by the human body.[1] It has also received attention in recent years as a possible feedstock for the large-scale production of biodiesel.[2] There are a number of organisations that promote the production and use of hempseed oil.[3]

Hempseed oil is manufactured from varieties of Cannabis sativa that do not contain significant amounts of THC, the psychoactive element present in the cannabis plant. This manufacturing process typically includes cleaning the seed to 99.99% before pressing the oil. There is no THC within the hempseed, although trace amounts of THC may be found in hempseed oil when plant matter adheres to the seed surface during manufacturing. The modern production of hempseed oil, particularly in Canada, has successfully lowered THC values since 1998.[4]

Hemp oil is made from the bud and leaves of the cannabis plant. Hemp oil, not to be confused with hempseed oil, produces a much higher THC content and is known to have greater medicinal properties than that of hempseed. Hemp oil is made by extracting the THC from the cannabis plant, and producing an oil so that the THC can be taken orally, used topically, or vaporized instead of smoked to produce psychoactive effects. The medicinal benefit of the oil is currently under study but it has shown great results related to the treatment of cancers and diseases. Hemp oil is considered a schedule I drug in the United States as a result of the 1937 Marihuana Tax Act.
  Looks like we can't import it!!

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 02:40:47 AM »

I would love to hear that too.... I remember Jim Stafford's Wildwood Weed song.

AMI#1684
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 07:28:02 AM »

John said:
I would love to hear that too.... I remember Jim Stafford's Wildwood Weed song.

"......we just smiled and waved. Sat down on that sack of seeds......"  Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 09:28:16 AM »

Yes, that was Jamie Brockett. He recorded his one successful album at the Caribou recording studios near Nederland, CO. Titanic got a lot of airplay around Denver on KTCL, KFML and KBCO.

Fascinating story here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribou_Ranch

My one connection with Jamie Brockett was that he was highly intoxicated in a Nederland bar called the Pioneer Inn, whereupon he was hitting on my soon-to-be wife...

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 10:03:15 AM »

Yes, that was Jamie Brockett. He recorded his one successful album at the Caribou recording studios near Nederland, CO. Titanic got a lot of airplay around Denver on KTCL, KFML and KBCO.

Fascinating story here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribou_Ranch

My one connection with Jamie Brockett was that he was highly intoxicated in a Nederland bar called the Pioneer Inn, whereupon he was hitting on my soon-to-be wife...

Well Bill, it seems for better or worse it worked out.  Smiley

AMI#1684
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 09:17:28 AM »

Hemp seed oil  Huh  Huh I wonder if it is anything like flax seed oil? ?

If so for us semi geezers, you could "kill 2 birdz with 1 stone"

Who needz fiber? ?  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

FACE THE MORNINGS WITH A SMILE! !  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 11:27:56 AM »

Back about '69, a demo folk album came into the radio station I was working at. The artist's name was Jamie something. Seems like it might have been Bartlett, but don't get me to lyin' after all these years. He played a mean 12-string and sang pretty good. One side of the album was an epic song called "The Legend of the USS Titanic".

Like many of his generation, he must have already been high by the time he got to his history class, or else he had zoned out and never made it to class at all.  The Titanic was a UK flagged ship, the HMS Titanic.

- - -
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 03:58:11 PM »

Just a different version of 'Rope a Dope'

klc

What? Me worry?
wb1aij
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 08:31:23 AM »

http://hempoil.tng-secure.com/categories.php?category=Hemp-Seed-Oil

Looks like the folks in Canada can produce hemp seed oil for $67.00 a gallon.

At $67.00/ gallon I probably won't find too many uses for it.
K5WLF
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 12:40:37 PM »

Like many of his generation, he must have already been high by the time he got to his history class, or else he had zoned out and never made it to class at all.  The Titanic was a UK flagged ship, the HMS Titanic.

You're entirely correct that Titanic was a British-flagged ship. However, her designation was RMS Titanic. The RMS indicated Royal Mail Steamer.

N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2010, 02:27:44 PM »

I can email an MP3 of the whole thing to anybody that wants the song. Somebody put the whole album on a (technically) bootleg CD a few years ago.

It was a standard on late night radio.

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
K5WLF
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2010, 03:39:32 PM »

I can email an MP3 of the whole thing to anybody that wants the song. Somebody put the whole album on a (technically) bootleg CD a few years ago.

It was a standard on late night radio.

I'd sure appreciate it if you'd point a copy my way. I haven't heard that in years. My email's listed in my profile.

Thanks,
ldb
K5WLF
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015