The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:24:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mountain lion  (Read 14470 times)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 05:10:04 PM »

An excerpt from Wikipedia:

"The cougar (Puma concolor), also known as puma, mountain lion, mountain cat, catamount or panther, depending on the region, is a mammal of the family Felidae, native to the Americas. This large, solitary cat has the greatest range of any large wild terrestrial mammal in the Western Hemisphere,[3] extending from Yukon in Canada to the southern Andes of South America. An adaptable, generalist species, the cougar is found in every major American habitat type. It is the second heaviest cat in the American continents after the jaguar. "

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 06:07:31 PM »

dead deer walking.......from the trail cam

Wow, Steve! What a shot! Thanks.

That deer doesn't seem to be aware or even running, not that it would matter much.
Nice Kitty!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 10:56:02 PM »

I let our cat out Friday and it took about 5 seconds to snag a little tree rat. Got me thinking. Now way could you draw a bead on a cat in motion about to take you down.
I'll be walking by the road and hope gato likes tender young meat.
Our chain link fence has 3 strands of barb wire on an angle
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2010, 11:08:46 PM »

About the only thing a person could do if we were allowed to have hand grenades is, strap them all around the chest and neck area. When the cat malls or bites you, they all go off. It won't save your live but you get the picture Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Superhet66
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 07:02:05 AM »

About the only thing a person could do if we were allowed to have hand grenades is, strap them all around the chest and neck area. When the cat malls or bites you, they all go off. It won't save your live but you get the picture Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

That sounds like something out of the early Monty Python skits. Right right, good good.

Pound for pound, neuron for neuron, "big cats" must be a nightmare if your on the receiving end of an attack.
A domestic cat can wreak havoc on someone if it must. Imagine scaling that up and adding gray matter to boot. It's an order of magnitude leap in speed, power and cunning.
I'm sure it's a product of domestication but I wonder if there is as much variation in personality in the big cats as in the house / yard variety?
I respect all cats but some are just characters and grow on you.

* please don't tell my hound, she just wouldn't have it... Roll Eyes

D.

* Monty.jpg (2.52 KB, 51x116 - viewed 381 times.)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 08:39:19 AM »

Hmmmmm.................... sounds like a good excuse to fire up some charcoal  Grin  Grin

I wonder if they are eedibible? ? ? ? ? ? ?  Huh  Huh

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 09:31:54 AM »

Frank,
I think I would be kind of chewie and tuff
Superhet66
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 09:54:25 AM »

Hmmmmm.................... sounds like a good excuse to fire up some charcoal  Grin  Grin

I wonder if they are eedibible? ? ? ? ? ? ?  Huh  Huh

Consult your local Chinese Food Restaurant.   Tongue
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »

I predict that within 25-50 years, the genetics geeks will have created a hybrid "Cat-Dog"..Maybe a trainable cat with a dog's personality, or a dog that can leap 10 times it's height, maybe a dog that purrs or uses a box...I don't think the world will be any better off for it, though.
Superhet66
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2010, 10:52:31 AM »

My friends have a couple of rescued Maine Coon Cats, (Barnum & Bailey).
They are very dog like and LARGE.
They also have "thumbs" from inbreeding, a (recessive) gene trait I think.

* maine-coon.jpg (508.31 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 449 times.)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2010, 01:18:43 PM »

I predict that within 25-50 years, the genetics geeks will have created a hybrid "Cat-Dog"..Maybe a trainable cat with a dog's personality, or a dog that can leap 10 times it's height, maybe a dog that purrs or uses a box...I don't think the world will be any better off for it, though.

Funny, but the paleo folks say that canines and felines had a common ancestor a few million years back.  So would that be "Retro-evolution"?

Ain't nuthin new under the sun.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2010, 10:20:30 PM »

LOL

Doberman X Feline?

They could create a dog that could climb or leap 25 feet.. with a real bad attitude and razor-sharp claws.. (Pit Bull x Feline)..Perfect for guard duty in 2090. Or future Hollywood starlets?
Superhet66
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 10:34:13 PM »

LOL

Doberman X Feline?

They could create a dog that could climb or leap 25 feet.. with a real bad attitude and razor-sharp claws.. (Pit Bull x Feline)..Perfect for guard duty in 2090. Or future Hollywood starlets?

Sounds like a Divorce Attorney......... Undecided
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015