The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:05:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quebec forest fires  (Read 2599 times)
W2PFY
Contributing

« on: June 01, 2010, 11:40:08 AM »

Anybody affected by the Quebec forest fires? This is the first time I have heard of that many fires in Quebec.  At my camp near Lake Placid, NY we have been lucky with few fires, but sometimes we get fifty acre fires going. Some that occur on very high mountain tops are left to burn out if conditions are favorable.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KB1IAW

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 12:27:11 PM »

Hi Terry,

I noticed a slight smell of smoke when I got up Sunday morning while we were out on the boat not far from Freeport, ME. Monday morning it was quite strong here at the house. The wind was a light northwesterly both mornings. I was speaking with Al, W1VTP later that morning on 75 meters. He directed me to check out the wunderground.com satellite images. The smoke cover over Quebec and parts of Maine was very dramatic.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 12:50:19 PM »

Some years back, there were some really bad forrest fires up north of here. (way up north) They may have been in Maine, IIRC, or maybe even Canada. the sky was gray with smoke and the smell was very strong, all the way down here in Baltimore. It lasted a couple days and the wx condx was so that it traveled down here like it was just a short distance away. It was definately kinda eerie, kinda reminded one of something from a Stephen King movie.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »

Heavy smoke/haze and burning smells from Bath ME to Nashua, NH.
I came home from the lakes region (middle NH) yesterday and visibility on the highway was reduced to about a mile or so in places.  Family came down from Bath ME Monday morning and reported haze and a strong burning smell.  People are wandering about thier neighborhoods trying to find whats burning.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 02:08:52 PM »

Friend of mine here at work was blaming his neighbor's HUGE BARBECUE.  At least he didn't yell over the fence at him. Grin

I could really smell the smoke and the haze was really bad.

Here's the wunderground link:

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?sat=1

Be sure to have the weather stations turned off -- the readings cover up a lot of detail.

The other radar map I like is from Intellicast:

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?location=USNH0136

That one works real well in the winter for precip changes from rain to mixed to snow

Al
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 08:42:53 PM »

Same down here just East of Nashua yesterday afternoon. My #3 son got caught in it coming back from Moultonboro, he just turned up the music and mellowed Roll Eyes

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015