The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:21:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need manual for Commander 2500 amplifier  (Read 16256 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 06:31:53 PM »

The Ameritron AL1500 and AL1200 are pretty healthy amps that could handle legal limit AM and the 1500 P.E.P. ok.
They have the more effecient Peter Dahl transformers. A transformer doesn't have to weigh 200 lbs any more to be good.
My Titan does well for A.M. PLENTY of undistorted PEP with the FLEX and that computerized audio processing.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 08:15:32 PM »

hmmm interesting.  Question:  With the stock Ameritrons, and AL1500 say, on 1880, can you do a buzzarding 30 minute transmission at 350 - 400 w. with high modulation percent processing?  I am capable of inflicting the pain of a 30 minute geezer xmission on someone I'm working if I don't watch it.  the failure point is probably the plate choke and/or the power supply because if I am not mistaken the squirrel blower cools the tubes but the air blows by everything else letting them bake.  The B+ tranny needs to have probably 1 or 1.5 A CCS but I may be Mr. Overkill as my friend likes to tell me.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 08:24:39 PM »

We are going to try it out tonight if we find time.  The trouble is that there are way to many amps here already.  There is a rack mount harris AM1000 in the other room. Its full auto tune and has a 1500 tube in it.  TFO is making me a cable for the PS to amp deck. The military cut it off flush. That amp, Might be a real smoker.  I read the manual and its rated for 1KW ALL the time in any weather.  Also. There are TWO,  three tube LK800s here. The Big PS verion with the HI/LO switch. They have three 3cpx800s in them also. Military issue.  Never sold to hams.  There is a video floating around of one of those doing 6KW on SSB.  A good sounding ranger into one of those is all a guy needs Smiley

They are all kind of pointless to me.  As I live in a neighborhood and dont run over the legal limit. In fact, If I ever talk SSB, Which is almost never, I run about 500 to 600 watts as I am talking to people that I can hear. Or I run the King 500 at 300 watts or so.  The T3 does right at legal limit.  

I think these amps will be best moved down the road to someone that can use them. A contester or someone with an some serious land and the guts to Run them full bore.

This Commander is nice though..  But I really like this L4B my brother picked up. Its OUT OF THE BOX new.. I always loved the look of those amps.  These things sure are fun to play around with though!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 09:14:47 AM »

you gots to git you a Skulcracka Prime Minsta!!  Grin  Grin

but seriously, "good" amps are hard to find that will take the beating of high power AM service. You should probably hang onto it. The next best thing would be to homebrew one with enough headroom to be bullet resistant. (I like overkill reliability!!)

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015