The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:32:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Electronics Gear Have You Repaired Lately?  (Read 15736 times)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 01:28:13 PM »

Those EL84s run hot don't they?   At least mine do.  It may be okay but I just don't like anything sitting there hot as hell so I put a fan on mine.

Half the problem in that, and other amps, is they hang the chassis upside-down from the top of the cabinet. All the heat rises and sits right at the sockets. It also heats up the steel chassis which ,in turn, heats up all the componants in the chassis.

I, too, have put a fan in his amp to blow the heat out. I did it 2 years ago when I replaced the once white tube sockets!
K9PNP

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 02:41:24 PM »

Discrete component PC boards are about as far as I go in 'modern' stuff.  Eyes not what they used to be.  Currently trying to put a BC-348Q back to close to original and get it working so that I can do a few mods to it.  Whomever had it before me made a mess of it; some of the solder joints are not even close to good.  At least I can see what I'm doing with those rigs.  And, I can find parts; at least those I don't have to make myself.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
ka3zlr
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 02:45:30 PM »

I could Finish a White Face Johnson if I could find Channel 8 an Channel 16  Smiley Transmit and Receive rocks.

Jack.

Detroit47

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2010, 10:09:08 AM »

I'm working all the time. I work for home. Mostly tube gear, I work on guitar amps for a couple of local music stores. I'll get the occasional antique radio from a couple of antique shops I do work for. I get allot of boat anchor work by word of mouth from local hams and other operators. Currently I have a Viking 2, Globe 500b, 2 Valliant’s, B&W L-1000A, and a 5100b in for repairs. So I never have time to work on my own stuff but it pays the bills.

I'll see ya in Dayton 73 N8QPC Cheesy
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2010, 01:48:54 PM »

An interesting tip appeared in the latest issue of Radioworld.  Rather than using a solder sucker to clear component holes in PC boards, the writer suggests using an oxygen/acetylene tip cleaner, available at a welding supply dealer.  They are under $10. The tip cleaner is made of stainless steel wire, so molten solder will not stick to it.

He suggests that you purchase the cleaner with the longer cleaning wire.  In a tight location, it can reach the solder-filled hole and works better than a solder sucker.  Perhaps it would be better to purchase several sizes since you need a size smaller than the component lead that goes through the hole. The tip cleaners have serrated edges, so the tool can serve as a miniature rasp file to clear out the remaining solder or enlarge the hole if desired.  He cautions to use care when cleaning plated-through holes to not remove the plating while cleaning the hole.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2010, 02:57:49 PM »

None.

Since I fixed the Gotham vertical, everything's been working perfectly here for 46 yeas now.   It's gotten so boring that I sometimes drag solid state leads across 240VAC just to give me something to do.  

Actually, new projects, maintenance and repairs never seem to end.  My own clumsiness and space-outs probably account for 20% of the crapouts.  70% comes from "big" ideas to improve the station.  And 10% is from component failures caused by pushing things too much.  

But it's better than being in a pine box with nothing to do.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Detroit47

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2010, 03:41:41 PM »

An interesting tip appeared in the latest issue of Radioworld.  Rather than using a solder sucker to clear component holes in PC boards, the writer suggests using an oxygen/acetylene tip cleaner, available at a welding supply dealer. 

I use a pin vise and a small drill of the appropriate size to clean stubborn holes. You can turn the drill in your fingers to clean out the holes even if they are blind.
73 N8QPC
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 12:18:26 AM »

3 Racal 6790/GM's. 2 were fairly easy, 1 had problems with all but 1 board... Why did Racal ever chose to use 16 volts tants on a 15 volt circuit?
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 10:22:14 AM »

SMT is quite easy but what the heck do you do with BGA
What is BGA?

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2010, 10:22:33 AM »

Good to see that the spirit of troubleshooting and repair is alive and well in the new technology and generation. Just saw a Best Buy ad showing recycle bins for you to drop your old electronics in when you upgrade. Talk about wasteful. You bought a new laptop? No problem - just drop the 'old' one that was working fine into this bin.

I actually went through SMT training back in the early 90s and, while not technically complex, it sure is annoying. Around that time is when I recall the 'plug-n-play, then throw-away' stuff really taking hold, like those re-badged Goldstar TV sets. A big CRT sharing a large, empty box with a tiny circuit board, cheaper to throw away and buy a new one when it broke. That's when I decided not to pursue electronics anymore as a career. If I had to deal with that tiny, plastic crap day in and day out, I'd never want to turn on another radio.

It's bad enough that the old gear keeps breaking here. Seems like as soon as I fix one, another one craps out. At least I can get my big mitts in there to work on them. Getting the time to is another matter.

Since I fixed the Gotham vertical, everything's been working perfectly here for 46 yeas now.  

Yes, the truth is once again re-affirmed as to the real secret behind the DX success at K1JJ.  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2010, 10:59:22 AM »

BGA is something which is hard to do now that we have RoHS - Hi.

Carl - BGA stands for Ball Grid Array. When the chips gets so dense, large and programmable that you literally run out of leads, you put your device in a BGA carrier.

So instead of having a chip like A you can have the same chip look like B.

Now the fun begins - how do you solder and um - unsolder such a fine device?

* c20080402_altera_fpga.jpg (95.5 KB, 1000x712 - viewed 332 times.)

* 544-400-FBGA.jpg (204.28 KB, 640x640 - viewed 352 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015