The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:36:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new Ford cop car  (Read 17424 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 09:58:40 AM »

next they will want them to carry a .22 to save on ammo cost.
I know lets outsource it.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 10:46:30 AM »

Privatize the police force!  

Hello, Your emergency call to Omnicorp police is important to us.

For English please press 1....

The sky king thing was funny.  Were I work we manufacture a laser guidance system that would fit in a coke can.  It can put a mach 1 rocket inside a 1 meter window.   wouldn't take much to put that into something less lethal and let it take out a running car.  Of course,  having the rocket option is nice too...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
ka3zlr
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 11:11:46 AM »

Welp, Hallidirton did build all those holding pens around the country that have been id'd on yuptub, I'm sure they'd be more than glad to souply a force of armed petrolmen at our expense of course, for our Protection.....Yeaaaa our interests come first...lol

In downtown block square City wide areas them little cars wud be great I figured, area wise/coverage/burst speed on a short run ,..you don't have so much Petrol vehicle issues, but I could be wrong, major highways thruways sure keep the
petrol Engines there. If I were a Patrolman deciding a Firearm issue I wud use what the New Jersey Patrolman use, good knock down/range friendly Gloxks Pistol.
Great Firearm.

Jack

K5WLF
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 03:15:51 PM »

This new patrol car might be promising:

http://www.carbonmotors.com/

ldb
K5WLF
K9PNP

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 04:51:09 PM »

In some cities they probably would be better off in something clad in steel plate with a 25 mm main gun and 7.62 mm coax.

The V-100/150 Commando series, I believe by Cadillac-Gage, comes to mind. 

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
W4EWH

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 06:08:24 PM »

In some cities they probably would be better off in something clad in steel plate with a 25 mm main gun and 7.62 mm coax.

No, no, no. Think "big picture". Think "greatest good for the greatest number".

Simply put a remote-control throttle override in every new car (OnStar offers this now). In 3~8 years, the cops could use bicycles and it wouldn't matter.

We now return you to Testosterone Time; please buy a big car 'cause it makes a big profit for our sponsor.

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 07:34:12 PM »

Yea, that would work, except that some one some where would figure a way to "over-ride the over-ride".   You really can't castrate your law enforcement or military and expect the bad guys will cooperate by playing by the same rules.

On a completely different track,  but I wonder just how hard it would be to Hack Onstar?  I mean it's a wireless computer system, so... 

Imagine the "fun" in causing millions of "smart" automobiles across the country to suddenly shut off or lock the owners out etc. 

No matter how good you encrypt, some one will  be able to decrypt if they are determined enough.

I'm surprise someone hasn't figured a way to hack the GPS tracking system yet to trace peoples movements.   "Mrs Smith's husbands car was parked outside the Notell Motel 10 times during the last month..."  you know just that sort of thing.  I guess you can do it with cell phones now anyway, so cars would be just a matter of time.

As a matter of fact the Communistwealth of Mass is looking at a means of charging everyone on the road tolls, based on how much they drive over the road.  This would be just the perfect means to implement that, The onstar style system would just log the milage (and speeds for traffic enforcement) and report it at the end of the period.  Bill your credit card direct just like the Easy-into-your-wallet-pass does now.   

You could even take it one step father and have the GPS navigation system govern the Cars throttle for the max allowable speed limit on the road you are driving on.  Speeding would become a thing of the past.  It would be simple to implement, just ask Toyota, er no.. I mean Guberment Motors, umm no Maybe Ford?

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
K5WLF
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 08:04:32 PM »

No, no, no. Think "big picture". Think "greatest good for the greatest number".

<snip>

Bill, W1AC

You can't have "the greatest good for the greatest number"...It is impossible to maximize two variables in an equation.

ldb
K5WLF
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 08:17:20 PM »

Ed,

Have you any idea as to the means "OnStar" uses to access an automoble?

(((Questions?  Call 1-888-4-ONSTAR)))

Yes, my Impala has the system but I don't use it very often...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
WA1GFZ

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 09:27:52 PM »

Tape a sheet of aluminum foil over the antenna and you have disabled the on star.
ka3zlr
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 09:41:51 PM »

Just like them Flu shots...at first they're every where, Then........then .....there's a shortage, increased demand. Everything in a hurry, great way to get the masses injected quick...

But how does any one Know what's in them Shots. Great Crowd control i don 't trust them an they don't get to my arms Not after last year...

So far a person can still buy a vehicle with out the toys...So Far.... Undecided

Jack.

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2010, 10:25:34 PM »

Ed,

Have you any idea as to the means "OnStar" uses to access an automoble?

(((Questions?  Call 1-888-4-ONSTAR)))

Yes, my Impala has the system but I don't use it very often...

I don't know much about the system, although I worked for a company that made those little blister type antennas for it.  I was ust posting random ideas which I thought were close enough to reality to be a little scary.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
WA1GFZ

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2010, 11:27:10 PM »

Ed,
I was thinking the same thing this past week about toyota. Could someone have hacked into their data base and added a little code. Press the gas X times and it goes full bore.
Look at all the losers out trying to hack into your computer over the net.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2010, 12:57:03 PM »

Yes, I had that though too.  It wouldn't be to far fetched scenario for a former GM or other manufacturer employee (maybe even international) who had a grudge against Toyota to mabe hack some code for the operating system.   

Industrial espionage is a consideration too.  People don't really think about that in this country but it's a real situation.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2010, 10:44:50 AM »

Here's a good story on the new Ford Cop car. It look quite evil.

http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2010/03/chicago-ford-plant-to-build-new-police-interceptor.html

"The Police Interceptor will be built on the same platform as Ford's 2010 Taurus.

But company spokesman Said Deep said that about 90% of the Police Interceptor has been engineered specifically for law enforcement use.

"It shares some sheet metal [with the Taurus], but it's a very different car," Deep said.

Inside, the seats have cutouts that accommodate police-issue utility belts. They are also narrower to allow officers to get in and out quickly.

The gear shifter is on the steering column to free up space between the front seats for gear.

That space is 9 inches, the same as in the Crown Victoria, so that existing equipment can fit.

The rear door panels swing out 10 degrees farther than on a regular Taurus to make it easier to get detainees in and out.

Also, the police version will have a larger trunk to accommodate equipment.

There will be a souped-up model available to the police with a 365-horsepower engine."

* CBB-policeinterceptor.jpg (26.44 KB, 612x194 - viewed 394 times.)
WA3VJB
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2010, 09:12:17 PM »

I got to sit in one of the "Carbon Motors" police cruisers.
Did this video shoot about a year ago.
It has a German-built diesel engine in it
("doesn't SOUND like a cop car.")

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2009/03/20/carbon.motors.police.car.cnn

This new patrol car might be promising:

http://www.carbonmotors.com/

ldb
K5WLF

K9PNP

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2010, 09:59:19 PM »

Yes, I had that though too.  It wouldn't be to far fetched scenario for a former GM or other manufacturer employee (maybe even international) who had a grudge against Toyota to mabe hack some code for the operating system. Industrial espionage is a consideration too.  People don't really think about that in this country but it's a real situation.

But remember who owns a good portion of their competition; the same people who have the Cray supercomputers and like items and crack secure codes for a living.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
K5WLF
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2010, 10:45:43 PM »

<snip>
<snip>

It sure doesn't sound like a usual patrol unit, but the entire concept of a purpose-built vehicle certainly makes sense. I wish Carbon Motors good luck with the project.

ldb
K5WLF
WA3VJB
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2010, 08:45:15 AM »

Acceptance by law enforcement agencies may hinge on "green" subsidies.

The price tag is around $50K per unit, and it's an untested vehicle without a fleet history. 

Sure, the engine and power train are said to have far more longevity than consumer-grade vehicles, but when you think about the fiscal logistics, a local government may very well choose to buy two, high production volume, ordinary cop cars, to one of the Carbon Cop Cars.

But we shall see.

<snip>
<snip>

It sure doesn't sound like a usual patrol unit, but the entire concept of a purpose-built vehicle certainly makes sense. I wish Carbon Motors good luck with the project.

ldb
K5WLF

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2010, 12:52:53 PM »

Sky King - I wanted to "meet" Penny... now that was a gal!

I want a scaled down Cummins 3.9 - maybe a 2.0... find me one!!

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WA3VJB
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2010, 01:07:36 PM »

The aircraft itself is still around, and is privately held, according to a check of the tail number.

Haven't checked how Penny has held up.

Sky King - I wanted to "meet" Penny... now that was a gal!

I want a scaled down Cummins 3.9 - maybe a 2.0... find me one!!

_-_-bear
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2010, 12:15:07 PM »

The Carbon car will have BMW engines:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aCO8Mt6m43HU
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015