The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:42:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new Ford cop car  (Read 17478 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: March 12, 2010, 03:21:11 PM »

BOO HISS front wheel drive and 6 banger 3.5L
Long live the crown vic.

Almost as funny when local cops ran 318 mopars and us kids were running over 400 HP. 
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 03:24:20 PM »

I guess it's the new era of the "green" force!
K9PNP

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 04:08:14 PM »

Most around here ran the 383 into an A727 torque flight xmission.  Could run with most stock 400's.  Those really serious ran 440 magnums and 426 hemi's, some with the dual-quad cross-ram manifolds.  It was a good time then.  It is interesting to note that the Dodge Charger is making serious inroads into the law enforcement like the Chevy is in the EMS market.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 04:09:16 PM »

BOO HISS front wheel drive and 6 banger 3.5L
Long live the crown vic.

Almost as funny when local cops ran 318 mopars and us kids were running over 400 HP.  

My Prelude should be able to beat the pants off that. Of course it could beat the pants off a CV as well.

That's almost as funny as when Waterford went to Volvos.  Hopefully, the municipalities will see the light and go back to torque and HP

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 04:19:35 PM »

They are cop cars, not dragsters.  Tongue
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 04:34:19 PM »

Dragsters are people too.... Cry

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 04:35:17 PM »

I think most cops prefer dragsters
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 05:07:38 PM »

They love high horsepower. But if they can "make" you, there is no outrunning the radio.

Bill KA8WTK
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 05:13:49 PM »

Who cares what cops prefer? What car does what they need and costs the least? A big gas guzzling monster probably isn't what's needed 99% of the time. High speed chases are mostly a thing of the past, especially in cities.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 05:31:07 PM »

if giganticness was so important why didn't ford make a fleet version of the town car?  now that would have been a cop car.  when the impala cop car came out i asked cops what they thought about it.   half said they didn't like it but half said the crown vic was a pain to drive and liked the impala which surprised me. 

the other thing about high speed is American cars can go fast but much above 80 mph handling sucks with few exceptions like the corvette.  ur cop crown vic has the horse power but if you want to chase at 100 mph plus give me a Mercedes.  The Germans know how to make a sedan that holds the road and moves. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 06:19:07 PM »

Back in the 60's, Ethiopian cop cars were Volkswagen Beetles.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 07:07:34 PM »

probably because the average motorist drove a donkey.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 08:28:30 PM »

Back in the '70s, I was helping one of my college professors do a proof of performance on a directional antenna array.  We ended up having to make measurements in just about every town in Massachusetts, and one of them was Montague.  We encountered a cop care, and I couldn't believe it - they used V.W. *BEETLES* as cop cars - way back then.

But, from what I found out later, that would be typical of Montague, even at that time.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 08:45:25 PM »

RI State Police apparently have some of the new Dodge Chargers.  Saw someone pulled over by an unmarked Charger on I-95 the other day....

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 08:49:08 PM »

Around here all the cop cars are fords, actually come to think about it, almist all the state govt. agencies around here mostly use some kind of ford vehicle
shelby

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
WA1GFZ

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 09:20:13 PM »

I went to Montague once when I worked for scrotorola reminded me of Hooterville
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 09:47:58 PM »

My Prelude should be able to beat the pants off that. Of course it could beat the pants off a CV as well.

Yeah but does it have the most needed 5" fart pipe with a ring of blue LEDs inside and a 4 foot tall Kenny Bernstein drag wing on it?

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 11:30:39 PM »

West Virginia just switched over to Toyotas, they thought the stuck accelerator pedal was a feature.

lookit the police chargers:

http://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/charger.html

AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 06:29:25 AM »

Got a cop motor, cop tires, cop suspension, and cop shocks.....

http://www.videosift.com/video/Its-got-a-cop-motor-cop-tires-cop-suspension-cop-shocks

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WA3VJB
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 07:10:05 AM »

MoPar's "St. Regis" was a favorite with Maryland State Police and there was a huge outcry among troopers when the state threatened to go to a smaller, more fuel efficient patrol car.

The argument that kept the officers in a big car was that they use the car as their office and need the room.  These days, they need even more room for their mobile computer terminals on a pedestal.

And, I'm increasingly seeing unmarked Suburban/Expedition type SUVs. Initially MSP was using these for truck weight enforcement (they carried scales in the back) but now they're on routine patrol with LED light bars in the sunvisor and upper rear window, as well as installed in the side-view mirrors.

Can't outrun the radio, as noted, and it's tough to ignore the police lights in your rear view, especially if you've just passed the SUV at an enthusiastic rate of speed.
ka3zlr
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 07:41:13 AM »

I think it's a waste, there shud be an increase in Battery Hybrid Vehicle usage, more bicycles, there shud be at least one 4x4 vehicle suv whatever assigned to each Town an County precinct for obvious reasons. This continual  Car mindset needs upgrading..Seriously.

Jack

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 08:12:21 AM »

In some cities they probably would be better off in something clad in steel plate with a 25 mm main gun and 7.62 mm coax.

It seems that at least once a month there is a high speed chase going on somewhere in the west coast.   This will increase the more limited the cop cars become.  Criminals aren't usually the smartest segment of the population, if they think they can get away they will try.  I doubt many would be impressed by a Prius driving force.   

Of course you could get away with the "green" cop cars, if you put some firepower on the police helicopters.  I alway thought it was funny how they could keep a camera trained on the escaping vehicle but that was all they would do, kinda like a sports commentator.   A precision non-lethal munition would fit that application nicely.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
ka3zlr
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 08:26:13 AM »

Howdy Ed,

In Towns an Tight urban areas yea...more walking patrols, close all Bars at Midnight an get people off the streets an in bed bring the city curfew's back an enforce them... as far as chasing road warriors I thought that was outlawed in some states because of the crashes it causes I'm not sure which ones, your answer the Chopper is the right one, radio ahead will do wonders.

It should be more creative than just another v6 Campbells Soup car or fleet thereof. Out of the car an protecting the public.

Jack

Superhet66
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 08:55:46 AM »

25+ mpg, 4 cylinder, 3.9 Liter turbo Diesel Crown Vic.  

All thats missing is veggie fuel and thats an easy conversion on this direct injected engine. The Cummins 3.9 is a torque monster for it's size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7FT4z4U8Xw

* diesel intercepter.jpg (1.88 KB, 88x66 - viewed 500 times.)
KB1IAW

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 09:04:13 AM »

Of course you could get away with the "green" cop cars, if you put some firepower on the police helicopters.  I alway thought it was funny how they could keep a camera trained on the escaping vehicle but that was all they would do, kinda like a sports commentator.   A precision non-lethal munition would fit that application nicely.

Seemed like Sky King always had a ready supply of sandbags which he could drop through the windshield of  an escaping bad guy with unerring, non-lethal accuracy. The car would safely careen off the road into the Arizona desert allowing the ground based  authorities to capture the dazed criminal and lead him off to jail. If Sky King could pull this off in a fixed wing, twin engine aircraft imagine how simple it would be from a helicopter.  Smiley

* skyking001.jpg (48.85 KB, 800x617 - viewed 402 times.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015