The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 06:05:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New SS AM only Transceiver (How often do you get to say that?)  (Read 14163 times)
W9RAN

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 09:59:28 PM »

Very nice Jack, I've been hearing guys talking all day about hearing you on it.

I have a different packaging idea in mind, but I got to thinking, a person could get an old CB mobile from the thrift store or garage sale, junk the guts, and have a pretty good starting point.  Mount the Retro 75 where the CB board used to be, you'd have holes for the two controls, a mic, coax connector, power connection, and a speaker.   The biggest problem would be disguising it somehow so it didn't look CB-ish anymore. but I think some paint and a wood chisel might do that job.   Can't hardly buy a mic for what the old CBs sell for.

73, Bob W9RAN
KC4VWU

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 08:44:40 AM »

Bob,
        Siltronix (Swan) made a pretty nice looking  23 Ch. SSB mobile rig that would make a great donor enclosure if you can find one. I was thinking od mounting mine  in a Ten Tec enclosure. Room for an extra stage of amplification and home brew battery pack.

Phil
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2010, 09:22:56 AM »

Thanks guys...sure having lots of fun with the little QRP rig.  Please excuse that big ugly FT-243 3880 xtal.  It is just one that I had on hand....so installed a socket and put it in there so I could join the fun on DX-60 net, etc.  Seems to work fine, although slightly low in freq.  I will probably get one of the miniature xtals to replace it.  I installed an SPDT 12 volt relay for real PTT using a Yaesu hand mike....it may not be necessary...but didn't know about switching directly thru the mike...easy enough to do with a cheap Radio Shack relay.  The case is one that I had around since 80's time frame....I think it came from Dick Smith Electronics (remember them?).  It was made in Spain of all places.  Just a little larger foot print than a QSL card....worked great to install the transceiver board, but not a lot of room left over.  I may install an internal speaker (very small) but the little rig drives a large bookshelf speaker to room-filling volume.  Hats off to K1SWL for a great little kit!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 01:55:40 PM »

Kind of off topic but did you guys see the converted CBs on youtube?  They where converting cobras to 40 and 80.  Sounded nice.

C
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 09:04:02 AM »

Sorta hate to see the discussion drifting to CB stuff!  Shocked  Anyway...that might be a good way to house the Retro 75 AM rig.  I sure have been having fun with my little rig.  Lots of ideas for improvements and additions.  Perhaps adding an amplifier somewhat defeats the basic idea of a simple QRP rig, however, just a 10 dB jump in power would really help to be heard on the band.  Truly amazing, however, how well I have done with 2 Watts!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015