The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:28:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tetrode screen regulation  (Read 17252 times)
scottdarling1221
« on: March 14, 2010, 02:17:57 PM »

any ideas on tetrode screen regulation
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 02:26:02 PM »

I've never heard of a tetrode that needs 2kv on the screen grid...What the heck is the plate voltage?  Huh What kind of tube is this?

Also what class of operation, and mode are you using it for? Does the existing screen supply work, but performance suffers in some way wanting you to regulate the screen supply?

Is this rig in 27.185 Mhz pulse mode? I always wanted to do that.... Grin

Jim
WD5JKO

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 02:51:32 PM »

Go to Richard Measure's website. He has an adjustable 2KV MOSFET regulated supply. Pretty simple.  You don't want the screen to sag at all, thus get rid of that unregulated supply situation.  Any unreg supply going from ~50 to 350 ma is gonna sag and cause distortion, splatter, etc to some degree.

A stiff screen voltage is mandatory for clean tetrode linear amplifier operation.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 03:00:10 PM »

Last summer I read an article that someone is making a 4 KV IGBT. This would make a nice series pass device. Just need to bias the gate with a zener stack.
Price was around $60 at Digi Key.
scottdarling1221
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 03:47:40 PM »

sorry meant 500 volts on the screen
scottdarling1221
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 03:48:23 PM »

class ab1
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 05:06:17 PM »

Its a 4cx15000a 8281 with 4150/8300 volts on the plate.

As Steve McQueen said (breathlessly) in the Great Escape,   WoW!  I am sure it will provide plenty of output for AM at our limit, say forever.
scottdarling1221
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 05:10:27 PM »

Huh??.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 05:55:13 PM »

Sell it to a CBer and buy what you want.  I am sure there are some that will pay big bucks to use it mobile in their vehicle.
scottdarling1221
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 06:04:51 PM »

I like home brew
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 06:08:12 PM »

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
scottdarling1221
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 06:23:06 PM »

Henry made great amplifiers
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »

They also made the rollers.Problem with these things is you cannot tune them under load you must tune it along with any other amp with a roller inductor with it un keyed in standby.Then take a  reading key unkey adjust and so on
Plain and simple these amps are junk.If i bought one i would have to buy heavier duty rollers.

One thing commercial installations do is maintence and that is the thing amateurs don't do on a schedule.  If someone would clean the inductors and contact assembly, they might not have that problem.  Have seen many Henry amps with rollers that were properly maintained and they did not do that. 

One time per year, on a regular schedule, pull the equipment apart and inspect it, clean it and make any needed adjustments.
scottdarling1221
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 07:35:42 PM »

I agree with you on that
scottdarling1221
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 07:41:25 PM »

Dont get me wrong i think henry made great amps .
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 08:14:17 PM »

Henry, like Collins and all other manufacturers, built their equipment to match a certain impedance.  If it was tuned out of that range or near its limits anything can happen.  Abuse by a former owner is no reason to criticize the construction, especially if it was operated outside of it design specifications, which you seem to indicate.

Now if you want an amp that will load into the bedsprings at over 2 KW you seem to have one.
scottdarling1221
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 08:52:43 PM »

your right
WA1GFZ

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 09:27:41 PM »

Why not machine your own rollers out of silver.
scottdarling1221
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 10:38:29 PM »

would still have to change the shafts they ride on.
Plus the arc problem would still be there.

If i had one i would make it work but wouldnt pay 10-12k for a unit that needs to be repaired or even a working one.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 10:39:11 PM »

sounds kind of like a 208U-10.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 09:44:41 AM »

I have a Henry 8K on the bench right now for repair, what a Rube Goldberg POS!

One owner since 94, runs it legal and yet its fried 1 tube, a 24V PS, a bunch of stuff in the tank switching and he doesnt want to send it back on a 6000 mile RT again.

This time the input VSWR went high yet everything tests fine. The 3CX3000 idles normally, just wont take drive.

Carl
KM1H
KA2QFX

Mark

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 08:42:09 AM »

As much as I like Rich Measures work I have to say I don't like that screen regulator much, for LOTS of reason I won't get into. But mainly it won't deal with negative screen current as already pointed out.  If you already have pretty stiff regulation now I'd leave well enough alone. If you insist on going to a regulated supply then a shunt regulator would be my choice. 
vk3he
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 04:16:32 AM »

Microwave oven capacitors make good resonating capacitors...... Most of the values seem just about right for resonating chokes at 100hz, 120 hz would be simply a matter of extra capacitance. I use a scope to tune the choke, just make sure your probe has at least a 400% safety margin, the voltages can soar to a very high value!

Whats wrong with the Measures screen regulator, I am curious? I thought that it could handle negative screen current? I built one for a 4-1000 and never had any problems, although I cant recall measuring negative screen current. It has very high value of bleeder current.

I cant  see how you going to build a  shunt regulator with such high screen dissipation,  high wattage zeners are hard to find and very expensive..  I am willing to learn on this point.

I certainly would not want to run any AB1 tetrode without a regulator screen supply!!

Heres a very interesting screen regulator. I am sure you could  size it up.

http://www.nd2x.net/JH0WJF-2.html

Craig

WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 08:29:15 AM »

"Heres a very interesting screen regulator. I am sure you could  size it up."
http://www.nd2x.net/JH0WJF-2.html

Craig,

The original need here is a screen regulator to provide 1500-200v at up to 350 ma. Doing this with a solid state regulator would certainly be challenging. The circuit you link to would be difficult to scale up. I also see that the loop gain is low, and therefore the no load to 10K loaded output voltage has significant sag, maybe more than a good choke input filter with a good bleeder load..

If I were to regulate this screen supply at 1500v-2000v @ 0-350ma, I might use a 304TL tube in a shunt regulator configuration. I might actually need two of them if the 300w dissipation is challenged.  Huh

Jim
WD5JKO

[/quote]
KA2QFX

Mark

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »

Craig,
   Are you saying that you have a bleeder to ground from the screen? That’s not shown or mentioned in the design of this screen regulator. But if that’s the case it’s certainly a big improvement, even though screen voltage will still raise some.
   Since you ask… and in lieu of an appropriate screen bleed resistor…
   The high voltage regulator that Rich Measures posted was developed from the manufacturer’s app. notes for the LM723 as a generic high voltage supply. Unless I missed something it appears it was not specifically re-designed to regulate a load which could also become a current source. Hence if the screen were to go positive there is nowhere for that current to sink to hold down the voltage. 

Next, the “crowbar” as it’s called seems to protect the pass transistor from excess current (over-voltage actually) but does nothing to protect the load should it short.  If the screen were to short the regulator is incapable of shutting down or current-limiting the screen current.  R1 limits current to protect the crowbar? A kilovolt regulator limited by 1 ohm?  Seems we have the protected vs. the protector circuits confused here. Screw protecting the regulator, what about my expensive tube!?
   The regulator requires a separate floating LV supply capable of withstanding the screen voltage. Seems like a lot of unnecessary parts to me. 
      I’m also a little skeptical of the ground reference being stable under varying loads. R2 is a pretty high value to 0 ground.  It has screen voltage + reference voltage across it. The reference uses a voltage source local to the regulator but employs ground in its return path to establish the reference voltage across R2, any fluctuation across R2 would not be compensated for by the regulator.  No other path for the reference current seems apparent except through the screen itself.  I’d rather not employ my load current as part of any reference if avoidable.  This is a significant problem in the event the screen goes positive.  .
   R5/R6 establish the regulator’s gain and sensitivity As a 2:1 divider the sensitivity and stability are very good but relies heavily on Q2 for the voltage gain required in this application.  Not a bad thing, merely pointing it out.  It seems the 723’s features are not being used to their full potential.
   The link you provided is certainly a preferable design, IMHO, being a shunt regulator. I do not like the resistance in series with the regulating element since that greatly decreases its ability to stabilize the screen voltage.    I agree with Jim, W5JKO,  that a more robust shunt device would be preferable. Positive screen current is then limited by supply resistance and negative current has a low impedance path to ground. 
Regards,
Mark

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015