The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:27:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tetrode screen regulation  (Read 17251 times)
vk3he
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 05:47:49 PM »

Hi Jim

The 1968 handbook has  a screen regulator design for 1500 volts. It uses a 807.

Before I used  the Measures screen regulator I used a resonant choke supply for the 4-1000. I could not Measure any IMD improvement when I switched over to the regulated Measures screen regulator

Mark  KA2QFX

Thanks for your appraisal of the design.  I have had no problems whatsover with his screen regulator design.  If you look at the grid circuit  that Rich has on his web page you can see the resistor and protection diodes. 

http://www.somis.org/D_a_05.GIF

On my 4-1000 I am using a 40 k  resistor directly across the output  of the screen supply. I am also using a grounded screen.
I have  had many screen glitches and even a dead  short, the voltage has always remained regulated. What this circuit is lacking, is screen over current protection. I just used a simple over current relay trip.   

Craig

KA2QFX

Mark

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 10:11:59 PM »

Seeing the complete application of that screen regulator makes a significant difference in my assessment. But series regulation still wouldn't be my preference.

Nice tip on the microwave oven caps. I have a few of those. I'll have to check out their value versus some of the chokes I have.

Mark
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2010, 09:45:20 AM »

After some thought, a 1500-2000v @ 0-350ma screen supply, will be a challenge to do with regulation.

In my opinion, doing this solid state is out, unless someone really wanted to do that...If I did it, I'd use a triac on the transformer primary to vary the voltage in a near lossless manner.

For a shunt regulator approach, we need to sink 350ma when the screen current is 0ma, so at 2KV out, 350ma sinked, the shunt regulator dissipates 700 watts! I mentioned a 304TL, but now I realize it world take three of them! Or how about a 4-1000, that would do?

The series resistor between the supply and the shunt regulator would also have to dissipate a bunch of watts also.

So what's wrong with a series regulator instead? Well the negative screen current that might occur with a tetrode is the concern. So how about a series regulator followed by a bleeder resistor? Make the bleeder pass 50ma at 2KV. This would mean that the series regulator stays in regulation until the negative screen current rises to 50ma. Above that, we go out of regulation. So how much negative screen current occurs on this big tetrode?

Early on in this thread, it was said the AMP was for AM linear operation. If so, then the screen current will be constant with/without modulation. Therefore regulation is not a big issue, or is it?

Jim
WD5JKO
KA2QFX

Mark

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2010, 01:19:30 AM »

Jim (et al)

Agreed, 0-350mA at 1.5~2KV is quite a lot to handle.  Under the circumstances you point out, given that negative screen current would not likely be much, series regulation with a sizable bleeder would seem the lesser of all evils.

But I can't help but think that if really stiff regulation is a priority perhaps a push-pull regulation scheme could be employed where neither supply nor shunt element need pass excess current unless required. As long as the unregulated supply voltage isn't too high dissipation could be held to a minimum.   

As to the need of a REALLY stiff screen supply...
I've always considered the screen voltage primarily as a method of establishing the Mu of the tube, and accordingly, its saturation level, plate to grid leakage, etc.  If allowed to fluctuate sufficiently this could be seen as a considerable source of non-linearity. The G2DAF amplifier design deliberately took advantage of just this trait.  Tongue  However, I do not consider a less than stiff screen supply as a very significant cause of non-linear distortion.
Rather, I see improper bias a much more significant contributor to distortion products. I have always found that a higher than desirable bias usually yielded the most favorable outcomes for cleanliness, with or without really stiff screen voltages. Of such factors are compromises determined between efficiency and cleanliness. 
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2010, 12:28:22 PM »

I know of a few grid driven tetrodes of this power class...  Most users run them strapped as a triode, but I prefer the ease of drive of the tetrode configuration.

All that I know of just use the bleeder R as the "regulator".  This is in AM service, usually.

My big amp, a pair of 4X15s, is run as a pair of triodes now.  The IPA is a 4CX5000 grid driven.  I use an R across the screen supply, works FB thus far (going on a decade).

You're right about the filament inrush being the main reason they recommend power cycling once / day.  I variac my filament xformer, as well as float it above chassis ground.  Pretty hard to built a 350A filament choke, much easier to do it on the primary side.  Using a variac on the input to the filament choke only means having to remember to drop it to 0 every time you shut the amp off... Eventually it becomes second nature.

What about using a zener as a clamp for -g2?

--Shane
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015