The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:28:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ElectroVoice RE-20 vs: Behringer B1 Microphones for hi-fi AM use?  (Read 26222 times)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2010, 05:09:59 PM »

Vic,  get a Heil PR20. Much cheaper than the RE20 and to my ears almost no audible diff.  If you or anyone else can afford an EV mic FB.  But if you can't you can't.  PR20 is excellent sub.  Also the hardware to hold it is less $$ because for one thing, the mic is lighter weight.  Bob's mics are slowly getting headway in broadcasting.  Besides being a good mic, one reason the RE20 and 27 dominate AM broadcasting is intertia.   Engineers and GMs and anyone else who makes purchase decisions are risk averse.  I would be too.  I would not want to risk trouble when I could simply buy old faithful.  No one ever got fired for buying more of what works.  But we're hams, it's okay to try to save some coin.   You can go to the mic listening room www.miclisteningroom.org (or maybe it is .com) and download and listen to files of dynamics that might interest you.  It is a collection of sound bites where the only variable is the mic.  They used as little audio gear as possible and had a professional announcer read copy on a bunch of different mics.  It's a cheap way of hearing a lot of expensive and less expensive mics.

Blower noise:  I could not operate without a noise gate.  It is the only thing that keeps my Behringer 2496 in the audio chain.  That box has the best noise gate (a.k.a. downward expander) I have ever used.   If all else fails, get one used, just for that.  All others I can hear it cutting in and out but this one is like it isn't there until I put it on bypass, which I occasionally do to show hams I'm working what they're missing.  They always encourage me to put it back in  Grin

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2010, 05:21:13 PM »

I dont care for the Heil.  It has an odd sound to it. Nowhere near the RE20. 

That webpage is ALOT of fun. I use VLC media player to play the FLAC files.  It a small program. 

The AKG 914 is killer.   

TOM, Listen to the MXL 990. It has that wonderfull Condensor sound.  Its the same element as the one I have.  Just older.

THanks for posting that link!

C
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »

Blessed are those with quiet rooms and remote transmitters.

--begin smug, smart-(you know what) comment--

Or solid state rigs  Grin Grin Grin
--end smub, smart-(you know what) comment--

(I couldn't resist)  Wink

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2010, 07:46:13 PM »

Thanks Rob,

Well,  Ive listened to the EV RE20,  and perhaps the 27 on a different site,   and some of the Heil PR mics ...  And have heard a PR-40 run by KO6NM,  Mike,  which sounded teriffic,  Have heard a PR-30,  which I thought did not sound so great,  but am sure that most of the differences are in the way different OPs EQ them.  Several people TT I hear on SB are running PR-40's,  RE-27,  and Large COndenser mics,  many sound just fine.

I do not have large pipes,  so probably the carbon mic from a WE 500 Handset would be just fine.   The mic selection has been a lingering question in the back of my mind.
Thanks for the info,    Vic
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015