The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:53:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Marlboro Hamfeaster Pix  (Read 10384 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« on: February 17, 2010, 09:56:54 AM »

Here's the first pix... "Make My Day + 4 Other Guys"

Turns out I have about 35+ raw pix... will take a little while to pick and choose, edit, run through Photosharp, then I will post
the link here to a gallery here on Amfune...

Lessee who we gots...

Left to right:

Clint Eastwood (Bob, KBW), Mark QFX, John KC2FXE, Dirty Harry (Rich - what's his call?), "Mr. Wizard" (Steve, QIX) and moi, GCR...

_-_-bear

EDIT: KB2AM is Rich... Cheesy

* MAKE-MY-DAY-+-4.jpg (215.21 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 604 times.)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 10:33:57 AM »

Can these guys look any happier  Cheesy

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:42:51 AM »

If they had a Flex, they would be smiling.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:56:42 AM »

If they had a Flex, they would be smiling.

Or look very smug!!

Same problem with Hams pics in ER magazine.
This must be a very strenouous hobby to be inolved with.

Say...........CHEEEESE

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WBear2GCR

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »

My gallery with some of the pix now should be here: http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=90;u=404

Place ur comments in this thread...

_-_-bear

WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 11:53:13 AM »

the rig pictures look very nice. Sorry I missed them.
I heard Rich's modulator last night on 160 at QIX.
 It sounded good.
WBear2GCR

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 12:24:49 PM »

more pix to come, gotta run them through the furtosharp grinder first...

_-_-

EDIT: ok a few more going up now... too bad the gallery displays at 400 x 600...  Cry

so I put a few up here higher res...

* Ken's-RIg-Me-QIX-HLR.jpg (185.57 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 524 times.)

* Rich's-Modulator-Chassis.jpg (118.86 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 479 times.)

* Rich's-Mod-Deck.jpg (172.97 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 565 times.)

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 06:10:25 PM »

re the 3rd pic : looks a lot like bus bar receiver wiring from the late 20's.  Same as it ever was.  Cheesy
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 06:24:05 PM »

Don't let Don/KYV see this. Mechanically sound connections covered with solder?

Very nice attention to detail. Many hours of planning, measuring and fitting. A real labor of love. Nice work!

Mike
w1vtp

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 08:28:11 PM »

<snip>.

Left to right:

Clint Eastwood (Bob, KBW), Mark KAQ, John KB2FXE, Dirty Harry (Rich - what's his call?), "Mr. Wizard" (Steve, QIX) and moi, GCR...

_-_-bear

er - Mark QFX?
WBear2GCR

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 09:03:57 AM »

Correct. Gee. Mark QFX... must go and correct... sorry Mark. I can remember my own call

Jim KF2SY

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 09:28:03 AM »

Here's the first pix... "Make My Day + 4 Other Guys"

Turns out I have about 35+ raw pix... will take a little while to pick and choose, edit, run through Photosharp, then I will post
the link here to a gallery here on Amfune...

Lessee who we gots...

Left to right:

Clint Eastwood (Bob, KBW), Mark QFX, John KB2FXE, Dirty Harry (Rich - what's his call?), "Mr. Wizard" (Steve, QIX) and moi, GCR...

_-_-bear

Bear,
Hate to be picky here but....this is AMfone afterall, anyway, I think you meant KC2FXE ?
Don't kill the messenger... Grin
WBear2GCR

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 10:20:30 AM »

...oog.

check ur eyes, it says KC2FXE, doesn't it??  Wink

WBear2GCR

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 09:14:51 PM »

one more in high res...

* KB2AM-+-MOD-Deck.jpg (232.06 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 456 times.)

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 10:30:28 PM »

Al,

What did you do to get ur profile to take a photo?  I made the mistake of trying to change mine to an equipment photo just for something different and now the frigging thing won't take any of my photos.   Says they're not..an avatar or something.

tnx
rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 02:00:52 AM »

Al,

What did you do to get ur profile to take a photo?  I made the mistake of trying to change mine to an equipment photo just for something different and now the frigging thing won't take any of my photos.   Says they're not..an avatar or something.

tnx
rob

We had a thread on Avatars: http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=5882.0
The thing to remember: The size for avatars is 100w by 150h (pixels).

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K5WLF
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 02:08:28 AM »

one more in high res...

Love that Simpson 260 in the pic. It just doesn't matter how far the technology advances, we'll never give up our 260s.

ldb
K5WLF
K5WLF
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 02:19:01 AM »

The pic of "Rich's-Mod-Deck" portrays one of the cleanest, most perfectly executed projects I've ever seen. Ordinarily, solid-state projects don't excite me. But that is so precise, so amazingly well-done, that it depicts what our HB efforts should be. I can only hope, that when I complete the tube amp I'm planning, the quality of my work will be worthy of being compared to Rich's project. Magnificently well-done. My sincerest compliments.

ldb
K5WLF
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 07:19:37 AM »

Al,

tnx
rob

We had a thread on Avatars: http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=5882.0
The thing to remember: The size for avatars is 100w by 150h (pixels).

Thanks but how we are supposed to know the pixel dimensions of a photo is beyond me; I've only seen file size as a measurement.  Anyway, I saw in that thread that W2INR had to fix everyone's photo for them.  This started 5 years ago  because users were on dialup.  I won't bother with any photos and that should be even faster for 50K lines today, all three of them.  Sorry to interrupt; back to the hamfest.  tnx

Rob   

w1vtp

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 12:09:47 PM »

Al,

tnx
rob

Had to resize down until it took.  Oh yeah -- converted it over to a GIF too.  Don't exactly know what the requirements were -- the error message was too generic.  There's a really great program out there - it's 'freeware' if you are just using it for your personal usage it's called Irfan View

http://www.irfanview.com/

I've been using it for years.  You can resize your pics in the resize dialog to whatever size you need.  It's a great program -- I even talked Raytheon into buying it for me for use here at work

GL, Al
w1vtp

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 12:17:29 PM »

one more in high res...

Love that Simpson 260 in the pic. It just doesn't matter how far the technology advances, we'll never give up our 260s.

ldb
K5WLF

I have my 260 -- had it for decades.  I'll never get rid of it.  Great for quick checks of SS parts

Al
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 12:58:56 PM »

Had to resize down until it took.  Oh yeah -- converted it over to a GIF too.  Don't exactly know what the requirements were -- the error message was too generic.  There's a really great program out there ...

tnx Al, but if I have to go through all that for a postage stamp photo then the hell with it.  life is too short...
I'll just have photos on qrz.com

Rob

WBear2GCR

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 04:44:29 PM »

The pic of "Rich's-Mod-Deck" portrays one of the cleanest, most perfectly executed projects I've ever seen. Ordinarily, solid-state projects don't excite me. But that is so precise, so amazingly well-done, that it depicts what our HB efforts should be. I can only hope, that when I complete the tube amp I'm planning, the quality of my work will be worthy of being compared to Rich's project. Magnificently well-done. My sincerest compliments.

ldb
K5WLF

I agree very nicely done and wired.

Not my style though, but style is sometimes just the result of what we have to work with and how we work...
I gave up on the tapped screw holes years ago. Drove me nuts. Spent way too many hours trying to tap holes in aluminum, and fishing out broken taps because I was getting tired and rushed the twisting... now I go for "clinch nut" inserts or screws and nuts, and keep the number of screws or other fasteners down to the absolute minimum.

Doing the audio thing, I've had to get into finishing techniques... that's sometimes fun and rewarding when you see the results and they look really good. A lot of hours go into most materials to get a finely finished result. An example is the amp on my splash page (website), that's actually faux stone, the chemical lab counter top material! They used to use soapstone, but these days it's a composite synthetic material, very heavy and hard.

_-_-bear

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 12:47:25 AM »

one more in high res...

ldb
K5WLF

Yeah, that's Rich in my (QIX) shack.  I have Simpson 260s all over the place.  They are GREAT  Cheesy  Particularly the new ones with the 100 volt range between the 25 and 250 volt ranges.  The older ones I have don't contain the 100 volt scale, and I use it ALL the time.  Although, sometimes it's nice to have that 50 volt range - so I've got a few of the older ones around with that scale (and not the 100 volt scale).  Great meters, for sure.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 12:50:38 AM »

Rich really does incredible work.  All of those tapped holes; everything fits perfectly together, etc.

I've been "testing" that modulator with one of my RF decks since Marlboro - at around the 450 watt level.  Works superbly - unbelievably clean and flat audio.  Rich is in the process of building a 450 watt RF amplifier to use with this modulator, so most likely we'll hear Rich (KB2AM) on with this rig before too long !

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015