The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:43:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not give AM a try  (Read 15125 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 03:16:20 PM »

Not all is well in corntest country.

http://contesting.at-communication.com/en/
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 03:52:52 PM »

And, I thought only AM'ers had operating issues.  Grin
Life is getting complicated even in the contest arena.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 04:12:40 PM »

Well, many of them are type-A's with big egos and a need for recognition. It's surprising there isn't more contention.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 05:24:16 PM »

In 2007, I stayed at the Crowne Plaza in downtown Dayton. Attended several contest bashes for mooched free pizza and beer. Nothing like several rooms full of type A's and enormous egos. It was fun trying to tick some of these guys off.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »

Most of them are good guys and quite a few are pretty sharp technically. Free pizza and beer is always good and makes and crowd more likable.

In 2007, I stayed at the Crowne Plaza in downtown Dayton. Attended several contest bashes for mooched free pizza and beer. Nothing like several rooms full of type A's and enormous egos. It was fun trying to tick some of these guys off.
K9ACT
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 12:11:29 AM »

I suppose we need more data points to come to a serious conclusion but is it a coincidence that the few contesters I have met are about five foot two? 

Perhaps a short people thing?

Jack
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2010, 01:14:14 PM »

[quoteI for one cannot wait for the contest comming up.  I am going to run the T3 and be out there as long as I can. I am praying for band conditions!

The more on AM the better.

C]

Careful, the corntesters will think you're just a smug AMer!
[/quote]

Not as smug as those Flex radio owners.

C
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2010, 01:32:08 PM »

Most of them are good guys and quite a few are pretty sharp technically. Free pizza and beer is always good and makes and crowd more likable.

Likewise.....in my former life as an active DXer and Contester, I really enjoyed going to all the hospitality suites at Stouffer's Hotel in downtown Dayton.  Friday night was one big party there.  We started out having dinner at The Spaghetti Factory, then went over to the hotel and made the rounds.  Lots of free food and drink and we had a great time with "mini-contests" at the various venues.  They had pre-prepared tapes of pile-ups...fone and cw and you would listen on headphones and copy as many calls as you could in a set period of time...I even won a couple of them on CW.
I just don't believe it is necessary to take sides against DXers and contest enthusiasts.  It is a mistake to lump all contesters and DXers into some negative category that is the antithesis of all that is good about AM and the things we enjoy.  Many of them are very intelligent, very competitive , and quite knowledgable about equipment and antennas as well as operating technique.  They are not to be confused with Bubba Slopbucket on 75 Meters who takes great pleasure in QRMing those d%^* AMers.  I know that contesting is annoying to those who just want to have casual QSOs and enjoy laid-back operation.  But, like it or not, it is a big part of the hobby.  Hams, by their very nature, are competitive.  We generally take great pride in our accomplishments and love to brag about our latest acquistions or new antennas, etc.  The problem comes in when people just disregard the fact that there are other interests and others wanting to use the same frequencies.  I have thought for years that the contests should specify band segments for the events and not clobber the whole band(s) with contest activity.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2010, 02:28:15 PM »

Agreed, Jack!

BTW, heard you kicking ass on 40M (7150 area?) during the NA contest this weekend. You were holding court with an iron fist... Grin  How did you make out?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010, 02:51:26 PM »

Agreed, Jack!

BTW, heard you kicking ass on 40M (7150 area?) during the NA contest this weekend. You were holding court with an iron fist... Grin  How did you make out?

T

Hi Tom, 

Oops...was I reverting?  Shocked Grin.  Yeah I was doing a little sprint experiment, just to see how I could do with the new radio.  Worked around 300 in 2 hours, not bad, but not spectacular.  Fun time though.  Ya should have called me!

I ran into an old friend that I used to work with at Verizon and took time out about 10-15 min in the middle of a run...then returned to the fray. not a true contest effort  Grin

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2010, 03:21:49 PM »

Not all is well in corntest country.

Does MSDS ring a bell?
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 07:50:20 PM »

Just received my QST and read the article that connects to the thread.
Anybody email the guy to explain how to be "good neighbors"?
That was not good reading
I would go off in a tirade and would not be able to keep my cool.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015