The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:39:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not give AM a try  (Read 15124 times)
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« on: January 16, 2010, 02:16:18 PM »

Suprised to see an article in Feb QST (pg. 43) entitled "Why not give AM a try".

by W1ZR

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 02:47:12 PM »

Wow !  I don't have access to QST here, but what does it say?  Just in time for the AM Transmitter Rally, too !!!!

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 03:03:08 PM »

I'm thinking the rally is gonna be a pretty happening scene if band condx are good.  Cheesy
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 05:40:06 PM »

Now you know why I re-subscribed.

Suprised to see an article in Feb QST (pg. 43) entitled "Why not give AM a try".

by W1ZR
KF1Z

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 06:43:41 PM »

I'm thinking the rally is gonna be a pretty happening scene if band condx are good.  Cheesy

10-4

KF1Z

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 06:44:25 PM »

Wow !  I don't have access to QST here, but what does it say?  Just in time for the AM Transmitter Rally, too !!!!

Steve,

I mailed you a summary of the article.

KF1Z

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 06:51:03 PM »

There's one line in that article that's going to piss everyone off.

And that is the author suggests that a "considerate operator avoids using AM during crowded band conditions, like during contests...."

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 07:15:06 PM »

"considerate operator avoids using AM during crowded band conditions, like during contests...."

That's funny.... Grin

It should say, "The considerate corntester avoids fudge-packing near AM operations."

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA3VJB
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 07:41:21 PM »

Or

"Contestors should avoid being on the air when AM QSOs are underway."
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 08:21:18 PM »

I also noticed that for 2010, the January issue wasn't tagged "Vintage Issue" as in previous years.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 08:30:10 PM »

And that is the author suggests that a "considerate operator avoids using AM during crowded band conditions, like during contests...."

Dang, now I know why I don't have my A1 Op award.  It was that time I called CQ on 3880 during the SSB Sweepstakes.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 08:34:38 PM »

I also noticed that for 2010, the January issue wasn't tagged "Vintage Issue" as in previous years.

I noticed the same thing but didn't think much of it.
Shelby

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
kb3ouk

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 08:35:52 PM »

What if the contest is in AM, and AM only?

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 10:16:26 PM »

I read it. How about the part about finding a NIB Ranger kit in the W1AW basement. I was just down there 2 weeks ago and noticed some cool stuff but not am related. Maybe I should have looked closer.
I thought it was a good article.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 10:35:42 PM »

"considerate operator avoids using AM during crowded band conditions, like during contests...."

That's funny.... Grin

It should say, "The considerate corntester avoids fudge-packing near AM operations."

True. The cornholers must think a strapped AM sig charges the atmosphere because they ALWAYS seem to setup shop and start coo'ing their diatribe 2kc away from an AM operator.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 12:28:42 AM »

I read it. How about the part about finding a NIB Ranger kit in the W1AW basement. I was just down there 2 weeks ago and noticed some cool stuff but not am related. Maybe I should have looked closer.

I remember when that happened.  There was an article in QST about finding it and putting it together.  It was a few years ago I think. 

I mostly thought it was a good article.  There were one or two things that annoyed me but my annoyance is probably nothing compared to what they'll hear from readers who think AM should be outlawed. 

WA3VJB
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 11:43:24 AM »

I haven't seen the February article yet, but based on what you guys are telling me, someone has inserted some wording that treats AM activity as a second-class citizen.

Someone should explain how there is more value in "contesting" than an AM roundtable when it comes to accommodation on the HF bands.  The two activities are identical in characteristics:

1. Both take up a lot of spectrum

2. Neither is essential communications

3. Both involve multiple, active users

I have never heard an ARRL person suggest "contesting" should make room for bystanders who do not wish to participate.  Why should this be presented as a "courtesy" the AM community should provide?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 02:21:39 PM »

I remember when that happened.  There was an article in QST about finding it and putting it together.  It was a few years ago I think. 

I mostly thought it was a good article.  There were one or two things that annoyed me but my annoyance is probably nothing compared to what they'll hear from readers who think AM should be outlawed. 

Excellent 6 page article done in January 2005 when they still called the January issue "Vintage Issue". If ARRL member, see here: http://p1k.arrl.org/cgi-bin/topdf.cgi?id=662&pub=qst

kb3ouk

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 03:25:59 PM »

I have never heard an ARRL person suggest "contesting" should make room for bystanders who do not wish to participate.  Why should this be presented as a "courtesy" the AM community should provide?

Often, it seems to me that some of the things  you see in QST suggest that the ARRL seems to believe that contesting is the only thing there is to do on the radio.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 03:38:03 PM »

Often, it seems to me that some of the things  you see in QST suggest that the ARRL seems to believe that contesting is the only thing there is to do on the radio.

Based on the amount of participants you hear in a typical U. S. or world-wide contest, it seems to be a very popular amateur activity. And, what better activity is there to test one's patience and operating skills, especially if you're not participating in the contest.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 09:35:17 PM »

Typical me first attitude displayed by far too many corntesters.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 11:24:15 PM »

I for one cannot wait for the contest comming up.  I am going to run the T3 and be out there as long as I can. I am praying for band conditions!

The more on AM the better.

C
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 08:48:28 AM »

[quoteI for one cannot wait for the contest comming up.  I am going to run the T3 and be out there as long as I can. I am praying for band conditions!

The more on AM the better.

C][/quote]

Careful, the corntesters will think you're just a smug AMer!
KF1Z

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 08:59:08 AM »

One thing for sure...
There WILL be bands conditions!

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 01:11:52 PM »

Based on the amount of participants you hear in a typical U. S. or world-wide contest, it seems to be a very popular amateur activity. And, what better activity is there to test one's patience and operating skills, especially if you're not participating in the contest.

Follow the smell of the money.   AMers buy old stuff in flea markets.  Contesters buy new plastic radios, amplifiers, accessories, computer controlled gadgets, IOW all the new stuff made and sold in advertisements in QST and other ARRL publications, which provide ARRL with revenue ch ching!!!.  That's what it's all about.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015