The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:12:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What VFOs used 5MHZ output? Central 20A  (Read 14662 times)
ke7trp
Contributing

« on: January 13, 2010, 05:03:02 PM »

I got a Central 20A on the bench. All caps check leaky.. LOL.  Like that was a suprise.  Can cap is shorted.  Ordered all new caps about $20.

I find that I need a 5mhz VFO.  They suggested you use a Command set 458. I dont have one. Nobody I know has one and most are ripped apart or junk by now.

What other VFOs out there have a 5MHZ output?  I think that a SWAN model did but I cant remember and find little on the net. 

Trying to find 5MHZ Xtals is also hard.. So I thought maybe I would get a VFO that worked and use the unit for an exiter.

C
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 05:43:26 PM »

Probably easy to build:
5 to 5.4 MHz VFO's
QST Dec. 1985 , page 39
73 Mag Jan. 1977, page 116
HRM Jan. 1972, page 27

Or modify something like a VF-1 or equivalent

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »

Hi Clark,

Fine on the 20A.  Think that CE offered a kit of parts to modify 'your'  458 Command Set as a VFO.  The 458 etc do pop up.  There are many Command sets out there,  which are only slightly mnodified,  and would be fine as the VFO for the 20 A.

You could place an ad in the Wanted section on this site.  or ..

An ad on QTH :  
http://swap.qth.com/

AF4K does sell crystals :
http://www.af4k.com/567MHz_crystals.htm
But at $ 12 ea,  they sure do add up.

Steve WA1QIX designed a FET VFO for the Class E rigs,  and is around here somewhere ...  altho,  its output level may be  better suited driving TTL Levels rather than some grid ...   http://www.classeradio.com/vfo.htm
For your perusal.

We've all heard of Vortex Joe.  Think that there is a sub-Vortex forming at UR QTH in AZ   hi.  73  GL  Have Fun     Vic

WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 06:50:36 PM »

Clark,

5.0-5.5 is a very popular VFO frequency and most of the external VFO's for the 60's and 70's transceivers either cover that range or can easily be shifted slightly to hit it.  That is also the range used by Heath for the SB (and most of the HW) line so if one is being parted out you could use it.

I have a couple of the Command sets with the CE front panel for my CE-10 and CE-20 but neither has the additional circuitry for 10 meter coverage.  They do show up and are often under the table at hamfests.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 07:11:24 PM »

While not politicallly correct, I've used my drake tr7, with general coverage transmit mod,
into a dummy load and fed that into the vfo input on my 20a.  This just is just a temporary set up until I build/modify
a vfo... 
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 07:45:13 PM »

There are plenty of scrapped HT-37/HT-32's out there with a pretty decent VFO. I paid about $10 for a SSB generator, VFO and xtals from a HT-37.

Several companies made standalone VFO's: Hallicrafters, Lakeshore, CE (based on a BC-458) Globe and Gonset I think, and several smaller names that advertised in the 60's.

Carl
KM1H

WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 07:53:57 PM »

Clark,

I do 20a's here, and my main station revolves around one. These when stock can be a lot of fun, and I've went through three of these so far. In stock form these dudes are good for about about 15 watts PEP out on SSB, and maybe 3 watts carrier on AM. Modified for QRO, they can be even more fun.

You can use 160m, 75m or 40m crystals with these rigs. The novices did just that since this bypasses the balanced modulator. You can also offset the crystal +/- 9Mhz to run phone.

The big tubular caps and all electrolytic's all need to go. The RF bypass caps can usually stay. Some were mica's and on newer 20a's they are ceramic disks. One caution is the B+ bypass cap for the plate of the 6BA7 mixer. This cap carries RF current and is matched to a resistor across the tank coil. The combination effects the 'Q' and stage gain. When CE switched to a ceramic cap, they also changed the resistor to a higher value.

With a stock 20a on todays high line voltage the box gets as hot as a stock Ranger.

The VFO's are out there Clark. With just a 5.0 to 5.5 Mhz VFO you get 20m and 75m. To get the other bands the VFO is doubled, tripled, and beat against a crystal. Therefore the CE VFO's are what you want. Also the Lakeshore Band Hopper VFO's are even better, although somewhat rare. Keep an eye on the adds and Ebay.
Here is my Band Hopper with a PIC Stabilizer to lock the VFO to within +/- 10 HZ:

http://pages.prodigy.net/jcandela/Band%20Hopper/

I could talk volumes on these rigs, but thus far on AM FONE I've mentioned this stuff many times in passing without any interest. Let me know if there is anything technical I can do.

BTW at the link above, go up 1 level and there are several write-ups on the three 20A QRO projects I've undertaken.

Jim
WD5JKO
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 08:22:49 PM »

I would like 75, 40 and 20.  I got the thing cheap.  I figured, $20 in caps and a heck of alot of cleaning and I would have an SSB rig to run into the Kings SSB port.  What sparked all of this is the SSB adapter that is in the back of ER. Its solid state and should get me decent SSB recieve on my SP600s and or R390s.  I thought it might be fun to set it up and Rag chew to the guys on something old without those pesky transistors.

I spent about an hour with my recently aquired Eico 930B cap checker.. My cap checker needed caps.. LOL. 

So far, All of the molded type or wax coated caps are just perfect. Only the Electrolytics are leaky.  I believe this thing will fire up once I pick those up at the will call window at Antique electronics supply tomorrow. 

I have a bunch of old VFOs in the store room. I have no idea the output. I am going to Grab them one by one and see what they output to the Freq counter. I know there are some FT101, 301 yeasu units and a few PAL and a couple silitronix units in there. Maybe I will get lucky.

Is it a big deal to modify a command set?

C
KC2IFR
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »

I have a Lake Shore Bandhopper VFO that was designed for your rig. Its very rare. Contact me off the board and we can talk.
wgr@roadruner.com

Bill
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 12:02:05 AM »

Thanks alot.. I will post pics of the thing on the bench tomorrow.  I have to take my Dog Toby in for surgery in the morning. I might find some time after I get him home and comfortable to put the caps in the Rig. 

I would also love to find an HC10 Hammarlund SSB converter if someone has one. I will post in the wanted section.

Clark
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 08:01:27 AM »

I thought it might be fun to set it up and Rag chew to the guys on something old without those pesky transistors.

Clark,

Moving over to vintage SSB moves you over to a different batch of folks. With a 20a you can get very clean audio, but getting the unwanted sideband and carrier eliminated is more of a challenge. I have tweaks for the phasing circuitry to beef up the sideband rejection. The big issue however is VFO drift. On SSB, especially the hi-fi SSB folks, a drift of 30 hz is noticeable. I once engaged a bunch of hi-fi SSB guys on 40m where the 20A BC458 VFO is tripled. I drifted 150 hz, and was driven out with comments like, "hay OM your drifting out of the band".

Even the Band Hopper VFO will drift. Figure about 800 hz over the first hour. That is why I added the PIC stabilizer to mine. Even so, the 9Mhz crystal in the 20a drifts too, maybe 200hz over the first hour. I am wanting to put that crystal in a oven, or more likely to epoxy a PTC thermistor to it where the transition temp is about 40 degrees C.

Good luck with your 20a..

Jim
WD5JKO
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 10:49:32 AM »

I am not leaving AM. I just thought this might be a fun project.  I talk Little SSB now.  One of my main interest is in using this as an exciter to Drive the 4-400s. They have a Tuned input and need little Drive to get going for AM.

Going to get the caps later today.  Should be a simple job replacing them. All other caps and parts check out good so far.

Clark
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »

Jim, do you have any info on the Lakeshore HFVO labeled Hetrodyning VFO on the sloping front panel?  Need a schematic.

Carl
KM1H
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 12:05:54 PM »

email me.. I got the Diag and schematic carl.

Clark  AT Clark Turner.com
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 08:56:22 PM »

Clark, that was the Band Hopper that you sent, thanks. I have the "Hetrodyne VFO" which is what they call it. The rear panel decal lists the model as HVFO.

The RF circuit has the same tube lineup, maybe the crystals are underneath.
There is no PS but it has a 6U8 oscillator, a 1mc xtal and an eye tube for the calibrate function. Power comes in via an octal plug and the RF out via an Amphenol mike connector! 1950's high tech all the way!  The front is 13" wide with a slope front and a fancy National ICN calibrated dial. Serial is #24 which may or may not mean it wasnt a big seller.

Anybody have more info on this item?

Carl
KM1H
K4TLJ

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 09:10:14 PM »

If you don't mind solid state this DDS has good specs.
http://www.pongrance.com/super-dds.html

I will need a buffer amp to drive a boat anchor transmitter though.

Regards
Terry
K4TLJ
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 07:03:27 AM »

Jim, do you have any info on the Lakeshore HFVO labeled Hetrodyning VFO on the sloping front panel?  Need a schematic.
Carl
KM1H

Carl, I never heard of this model VFO by Lakeshore. Can you post a picture?
I did find a site by k7jrl that has a heap of manuals & schematics for most any rig. Below are two links starting with Lakeshore:

http://www.k7jrl.com/pub/manuals/lakeshor/

everything else
http://www.k7jrl.com/pub/manuals/

If you don't mind solid state this DDS has good specs.
http://www.pongrance.com/super-dds.html

I will need a buffer amp to drive a boat anchor transmitter though.

yes this is a good idea so long as you can make 8-10 volts peak at the 20a VFO input. With the VFO output at 250mv rms, you will need a buffer amp for sure.

Jim
WD5JKO
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 09:29:18 AM »

Drake T4/R4 line used 5Mhz PTO
You are correct, Swan did also.
So did Heathkit.

WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 10:06:24 AM »

Drake T4/R4 line used 5Mhz PTO
You are correct, Swan did also.
So did Heathkit.

yes but remember that gets you 20m and 80m only. For 160 the VFO doubles then mixes with 9 Mhz. For 40m the VFO triples then mixes with 9 Mhz.

For example:
160m, VFO at 5.45 Mhz doubled to 10.9. Then subtract 9 from that and we get 1.9 Mhz
40m, VFO at 5.387 Mhz, triple to 16.16. Then subtract 9 from that and we get 7.16

Jim
WD5JKO
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 11:05:29 AM »

BILL.  I emailed you but never got a response.  Can you contact me?  The 20A should be done today!

Clark at Clarkturner dot com
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 03:57:43 PM »

Carl, I never heard of this model VFO by Lakeshore. Can you post a picture?
I did find a site by k7jrl that has a heap of manuals & schematics for most any rig. Below are two links starting with Lakeshore:

http://www.k7jrl.com/pub/manuals/lakeshor/

everything else
http://www.k7jrl.com/pub/manuals/

Jim, that link is the Band Hopper. As I mentioned yesterday I can probably use it as the RF section appears the same.

Here are some pix, they aint purty. It sat out in a shed for years.

Carl
KM1H

* Lakeshore VFO.jpg (60.18 KB, 600x450 - viewed 586 times.)

* Lakeshore VFO2.jpg (61.16 KB, 600x450 - viewed 553 times.)

* Lakeshore VFO3.jpg (77.28 KB, 600x450 - viewed 474 times.)
KC2IFR
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 08:56:09 PM »

Finally got my computer to work again.....
Pics of my vfo......

* vfo rear.jpg (1037.65 KB, 2560x1920 - viewed 496 times.)
KC2IFR
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 08:57:18 PM »

Damn.........the front........

* vfo front.jpg (974.46 KB, 2560x1920 - viewed 624 times.)
KC2IFR
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 09:10:58 PM »

when I saw that mess that was posted as a Lakeshore VFO I was sick.....
Mine is a LOT better.........
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 09:30:01 PM »

Oh man.. I am going to finish the 20A tomorrow!  This is going to be fun!

Clark

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015