The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:35:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We're Bad and Nationwide!  (Read 18529 times)
AJ1G
Contributing

« on: January 03, 2010, 10:34:15 PM »

They are working out the bugs on the new Globaltuners skins.  I am listening to Tom Vu right now on 3875 through the Cleveland receiver.  Sounds great through the laptop with a decent set of headphones.  He's very weak on my own receivers and on the more local to CT Globaltuners receivers.  Band seems somewhat long tonight.

Hey there's KE7TRP!

Using Globaltuners on a laptop with a WiFi gives a whole new meaning to "Listening on the outside speaker..."

K7CBO in NMEX checking in....

Great stuff....

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 10:44:16 PM »

Nice.. 

Finally had a chance to work some east coast AM tonight on the "GLOB" "king 500C".

Nice time on 3873:

k1JJ on the 4-1000 rig just booming in..  That Delta loop is just killer out here.

HUZ steve.. finally got to say hi over the air.

Then we had W3JN on the GPT750!  What a Great old beat of a transmitter that is.

Then the band kinda faded.. Lots of noise now!  I think I am out of the picture. Someone is throwing carriers on 75 now and causing trouble. 

Great AM night! Its been a long time since east coast AM came in here like that.

Clark   
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 10:54:40 PM »

Man, it was FINE BUSINESS indeed working all of you, esp Clark with the killer Glob Queen!   And K7RLD in Washington, and N0BF in Colo were booming in here as well.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:01:06 PM »

FB OM.

C
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:07:06 PM »

Mr VU velly velly lice in the Hanover Germany Gloabaltuner ..also the Huz man.

That receiver has a very low noise level and a nice low angle 65 ft vertical antenna...

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 07:49:54 AM »

I got in in time to say hello to Steve KL7OF for the 2nd time this season. Considering it was only 8 P.M. on that side the signals were surprisingly good.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 11:26:34 AM »

From memory, there were about 14 different states represented in the group. We had coast-to-coast conditions for quite a while. The quality of the path did degrade some after 11 PM ET, but I was able to to copy K7RLD right up to his sign off. JJ with his Beverage was able to copy some really weak signals from California no one else could hear. K7RLD and KE7TRP had the best signals to my location.

Great fun. Let's do it soon again.

K7RLD, WA
N9UXY, NC
KB8ELG, OH
N8UUH, MI
KE7TRP, AZ
K6CBL, NM
KA0ARA, MO
KC3OL, KS
WD8BIL, OH
W3JN, MD
W3GL, DE
K1JJ, CT
K1KBW, CT
W2WDX, NY
??6TYJ, CA
KL7OF, WA

a few more I cannot remember...

** No Internet receivers were used or abused during the making of this post.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 11:44:02 AM »

Nice... I really had a great time last night.  I have a cold and my voice is horse but I stuck in there.  Big signals.  Band seemed to fade them come back again right before everyone signed.

Clark
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »

Yep, despite some snow static early on, last night (Sunday night) was one of the best times I've had doing coast to coast AM, ever.  It started out early on as a casual local roundtable, then as the night went on stations from out west started breaking in. The east coast guys then went into the gang-bang mode and said hello to each new arrival exchanging reports, equipment used, etc. It couldn't have gone smoother.  To finally hear some of the guys from AMfone we all know was a pleasure.  K0ARA, KE7TRP, KL7OF, KX5JT and KC3OL were some of these regulars who joined us.

We tried early on to generate some Calif activity, but it was tough. Finally, we were rewarded by three Calif stations, two running 100w and low dipoles. That's the best stuff to stretch all of us to develop better ears and listening skills.   Hope to do it again soon while conditions are good.

Some more stations we logged not mentioned above for Sunday Night:

WA1GFZ
KA2QFX
W2WDX
K9EME
NA7RH - AZ
N9UXY
N0BF - Colo
W6TJK - Calif
KD7NH - WY
WB6YEC - Calif
KF6SYD - Calif
KX5JT - LA
K7TOT - WY
K7AOK - WY

Thanks to everyone who particpated to make it a fun-filled night.  (The new 4X1 made it thru w/o a single crap-out - new record... Grin)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 11:50:12 AM »

I looked at the clock and it was pushing 11:00 so had to hit the sack.
Shocking to go back to work after two weeks off. Clark you were strapping in Ct. Many good signals last night...
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 11:51:49 AM »

Tom,
Does this mean you will be able to last through an old buzzard transmission without blowing up the rig?
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 12:00:13 PM »

The only Crapout I know of was kl7of.   Was keyed up and bang..  He was gone.. Something about a cap... He came right back on in a few minutes.

C
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 12:01:20 PM »

Tom,
Does this mean you will be able to last through an old buzzard transmission without blowing up the rig?

Yep, no problems. I even had it in high-tap all night to really stress it.  No arcs or smells all night.  I do have to buy some of that "corona dope" to dope some of the bandswitch spots that tend to corona when I push the audio too hard.  Other than that, I'm now confident enuff to drive it with my FT-1000D. I usually use a tube exciter fearing a flashback to wipe out the SS finals.   This let me put on the west beverage and high delta loops in dual diversity reception last night - to pull out those weaker Calif stations.  That's basically the same system I use for European DX (except switched west) and also works FB for weak AM signals.

BTW, you did well using the 100w Viking early on - especialy hearing the weak ones..

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 12:15:35 PM »

Wow, three stations from Wyoming! Go figure.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 03:22:50 PM »

I need to tune up the 160 M Vee on 75 since it points west.
I didn't have much snow static last night. Most of it was to the south of me.
Drilling and blasting the new afterburner chassis
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 04:52:53 PM »

Are these things going to be a nightly occurrence?    Cheesy  Or are you all spent from the holiday break?   Sad

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 08:09:44 PM »

Probably not nightly but who knows. Much of it depends on conditions. But if you get on nightly, it will be nightly.

We called for you last night several times, but I guess you weren't around. I want to hear your new antenna.

Are these things going to be a nightly occurrence?    Cheesy  Or are you all spent from the holiday break?   Sad
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 08:43:57 PM »

For sure.

* badandnationwide.mp3 (898.49 KB - downloaded 353 times.)
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 09:01:26 PM »

heheheh - Yep, we be bad and nationwide!

John, we called for you about three times, figgering you might be around.   I could be on at any time. In fact, right now I'm listening to 3870-3890 looking for a spot to possibly start up a few calls out west...  I see from the sun map it's dark in Calif now.

T

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 09:59:37 PM »

Tom is back on 3885 stiring up a huge amount of AM.

I have a theory.   We are all bouncing off toms antennas and our signals are directing back across the US.   Shocked

Everyone is down around 10 to 20 DB.. Real noisy.. Then there is tom at 50!  I repeat 50 DB over.  LOL

C
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 10:51:21 PM »

I wanna be Tom when I grow up!

AMI#1684
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 11:00:57 PM »

Tom is back on 3885 stiring up a huge amount of AM.

I have a theory.   We are all bouncing off toms antennas and our signals are directing back across the US.   Shocked

Everyone is down around 10 to 20 DB.. Real noisy.. Then there is tom at 50!  I repeat 50 DB over.  LOL

C

Well, let me go fire stuff up.  maybe I can squeeze in an hour before I have to hit the hay.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 11:21:26 PM »

I wanna be Tom when I grow up!

Yeah, but Tom never really grew up. That's his secret! Stay young, it's good for the soul.

Got the 80m aerial laying in the garage, iff'n the winds die down long enough maybe I can get it slung up this week. Need to find the solid state sticks for the big rig, too. You guys are just having waaaaaay too much fun.  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 12:38:21 AM »

okay it looks like I missed out again b/c by the time I got there everyone had gone or the band had shut down or something.  I also had some really nasty noise 10 dB over 9 from 1700 khz all the way up through 40 meters, no telling what that's coming from.  After nulling that out, weird stuff happening in the shack too, ferrite cores on feedlines getting hot and the tuner changing on me so something in there must be about to pop with a lot of RF on the externals.  Time to have fun solving problems, tuners, noise... Grin  glad I ordered some new higher current padder caps for the tuner so they're already on the way.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 12:40:31 AM »

To bad.. I was waiting for you to get on...  Lots of east coast guys signed. Its a weekday and its late out there.. They where strong the entire night.  BIG west coast signals on 3870 now.  OK, AZ, NM and CA all booming in. 

Get it fixed!  AM seems to be at a peak this year.

C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015