The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:05:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D TV, this ought to be fun to convert to SSTV format  (Read 3805 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« on: January 05, 2010, 09:42:50 AM »

Coming this summer to a cable near you,

ESPN 3D
Watch out for that ball..     Catch!
http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/01/espn-launching-first-3d-television-network.html

RICK  *W3RSW*
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 01:46:36 PM »

Anyone ever notice a 3-D effect that can be achieved with a graphic image that shows horizontal motion?  For example, a film of a train or car passing by, or the view of the scenery out the window of a moving vehicle.  Just squint with one eye and you will see the effect.  If the 3-D image looks reversed, with the more  distant objects appearing up close, switch eyes for the squint.

I discovered this when I was about 8 years old, but never could find anyone else who was able to perceive it. I suspect they simply didn't comprehend what I was trying to describe. Then I read an article in some magazine years later that described the phenomenon exactly, and even gave a scientific name for it.  I wish I could remember that name.

Look at an old LP vinyl record spinning on the turntable.  Squint with one eye, and the label will appear to be a disc rotating in a plane that is 90° from the surface of the record.

If you don't want to squint, you can also lay a piece of slightly translucent material over one lens of a pair of glasses to achieve the same effect.

For a quick demonstration of the effect here and now, use the cursor with the computer screen. Preferably, bring up a blank page. Use the mouse to make the cursor move steadily from left to right at a moderately slow speed.  Squint with the left eye. The moving cursor will appear to be beneath the surface of the computer screen.  Squint with the right eye.  Now the cursor will appear to ride above the surface of the screen.  Now move the cursor from right to left.  Squinting with the right eye, the cursor will appear to be beneath the surface, but squinting  with the left eye, the cursor will appear to  be above the surface.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 04:37:59 PM »

OK Don
I tried your experiment and I was thinking of the glasses we wear at the theater. They would make a normal image seem in focus and out of focus by switching eyes. Like two levels of the projected image.
We saw a 3D IMAX movie and I was not impressed. This was using the "polarized" lens
The other glasses I have seen were one lens green and the other red. Whats with that? Take them off and you see an image that looks out of convergence....an old color TV adjustment
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 05:11:48 PM »

The other glasses I have seen were one lens green and the other red. Whats with that? Take them off and you see an image that looks out of convergence....an old color TV adjustment
Fred

The 3-D glasses of the past/present have red and cyan (~blue) lenses. They been around for a long time. My first 3-D movie I saw with the red/cyan lenses was Bwana Devil in 1952. Many more were produced in the mid-50's. The House of Wax in 3-D was cool. Then in the 70's, there was 3-D StereoVision with some notable movies as Jaws-3D and The Stewardesses. Some of this stuff you can buy on DVD and it generally includes the glasses.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:49:01 AM »

I remember 3-D movies used polarised glasses.  The only red/blue (or was it green?) glasses I remember were for comic books.

I recently viewed a contemporary 3-D movie, but they use some different technique from the 50's era lenses. The polarisation didn't appear to shift as I looked through one lens and rotated the glasses 90°.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K3ZS

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 08:54:01 AM »

From what I have read, the new glasses use right hand and left hand circular polarization.   I can't imagine how that can be done without multiple lenses for each eye.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 10:38:42 AM »

I think you are on to something with polarization. I read vertical and horizontal polarization used in the IMAX presentations.
I still remember the View Master. Those were neat.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015