The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:07:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Badly need boots, money, quinine, tommy gun ammunition"  (Read 3081 times)
Ian VK3KRI
« on: November 07, 2009, 01:06:18 AM »

I stumbled across this video I youtube that might be of interest , as it shows "Winnie the war winner" , a transmitter made out of scrounged parts by Aussie troops behind Japanese lines.

Ive seen Winne at the Australian war memorial in Canberra, but I didn't realise that there was actually a PR film made of the events...

http://www.youtube.com/user/grantmcl#p/a/u/1/quisMMLJRFo
And some background: http://www.ww2australia.gov.au/japadvance/boots.html

Ian VK3KRI
VK7ZL
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 01:34:17 AM »

it shows "Winnie the war winner" , a transmitter made out of scrounged parts by Aussie troops behind Japanese lines.

Ian VK3KRI

Contrary to the popular myth, Winnie was a linear amplifier, not a transmitter.

Bob
K9PNP

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 09:30:50 PM »

I thought this sounded familiar, so went looking.  Memory is not what it used to be.  This was also covered in August 1943 QST in a "Hams in Combat" article by Clinton DeSoto.  According to the info there, VK7ML was the ham involved in the [by normal vernacular] 'unconventional warfare' situation.  Article states that the QSO you quote was on 19 April 1941.  No mention of naming to rig in the article, but given the censorship rules in effect in 1943, somebody probably thought that it was a security violation; and it might have been.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015