The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:56:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Paint on HV Windings ?  (Read 10806 times)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 08:41:44 AM »

i've seen many HV transfomas painted black. I never bothered to check ot what kind of paint it was.

however I dont think the black pigment would make much of a difference if the outpoot terminals have a little space between them. The Big Gates transformer That I have is painted black (open frame). The one that came from Timtron (8kv ct) is painted black. The one in Derb's leanyour is painted black, and most ot the generic
(non applicatiom specific) stuff I have seen from Peter Dahl was painted black.

Even if the pigment was ever so slightly conductive, the small amount of it and the spacing of the high side outpoot terminals, should render it ineffictive and the flashover leakage should render it negligible.

If at all possible, with older open framed transformers, I like to "bake" them at 190-200 degrees for 8-12 hours to expel any moisture that may have gotten into the insulation, and while they are still hot, drop them into a bucket of old oil-based varnish to cool. this way as they are cooling they will draw the varnish into the windings as they cool. Let them soak for a few days and then pull them out to "drip dry". After they have dried to the touch (usually a couple days) dunk them again.
I will gige them several dunkings untill they look like a glazed donut. Let them sit for a few months to dry thoroughly and return them to service. A second "baking" at a lower temp will expedite the final drying process, but so will a fwe days sitting out in the hot summer son.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
kg8lb
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 09:44:10 AM »

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 09:50:59 PM »

did we call the factory and inquire yet??   Roll Eyes

It could be an error due to a new "employee" on the line?? ...does happen...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015