The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:33:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 17126 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 05:12:51 PM »

My wife and kids gave me a laptop for Xmas.  It came with windows 7.  It seems to work OK, and I have managed to figure out most of the new and different stuff from XP.  But one thing has me baffled... sound adjustments.

Clicking on the Sound icon in the control panel only gives the option of adjustment of sound levels for the speaker, headphones, microphone, etc., and  microphone equalisation settings to compensate for room acoustics.  But there is nothing for setting the frequency response curve for the speakers/headphones.

I was tinkering with a set of cheap powered speakers, hoping they would be an improvement over tin can audio of the laptop (they weren't).  Once when I plugged the cord into the headphone/speaker jack, a very nice graphic equaliser popped up on the screen, which allowed me to fine tune the frequency response of the audio.  I experimented with it a little, with the idea that I could fine tune it later, and then closed it out.  But I have not been able, no matter what, to bring it back up again.  All I can get is audio level settings.

The thing popped up spontaneously the first time, but it was a functioning equaliser, and I could hear the effect of adjustments.  If I could only bring it up again.  It's like when I closed it after that one time, it vanished off the face of the earth just as mysteriously as it appeared, but it has to still be there.

Any ideas?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 05:56:10 PM »

Don,  Try this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-bass-stereo-and-other-audio-effects-in-Windows-Media-Player

Jim
WD5JKO
w1vtp

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 07:03:55 PM »

Bill

My new HP netbook uses W7 and works very well

Al

PS:  been looking fer u but no Bill
WA1GFZ

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 09:22:56 PM »

I bought my Daughter a lap top for school that has vista. It really sucks. Leave the mouse in the wrong spot and it selects files by itself. She tells me she is used to it but I'll take XP any day.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 03:08:20 PM »

Mine does that sometimes, too.  Just move the cursor over the file and it will sometimes open spontaneously without clicking on anything.  A real PITA. Makes it almost impossible to delete a bunch of e-mail messages by clicking on the boxes and then clicking on Delete.  Before I finish going down the list, one of the messages will spontaneously open, and that clears out all the boxes I have checked.   Angry

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2010, 03:26:28 PM »

I have had numerous problems with Vista, as well.  I tried to load a couple of logging programs: N1MM and CT and they both crashed and resulted in the loss of the driver for the DVD drive. (What did that have to do with it?).  I recently discovered that the media center that plays MP3s, etc is all screwed up and won't work.  Seems that when the MS auto-update thing runs...something always gets screwed up.  I can get Windows 7 free, but have to pay them to load it.  Should I upgrade?  Will it solve these problems?

Yeah, I know the Apple freaks will say just dump the PC and the Linux guys will say dump Windows, but I never really had many problems with XP and previous versions.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015