The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:19:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Xmtr Rally - the ball is in play  (Read 21044 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 10:32:05 AM »

I think it would be best to continue referring to this as an "event", "rally", "QSO party", ect. and avoid the term "contest". The latter has too many negative connotations, and many hams hate contests.

As for any ambiguity whether or not this event would qualify under the FCC rules regarding 1X1 callsigns, if it is a success this year, between now and next year perhaps we should research to see if there was some historical event of significance that relates to AM radio and occurred near the date of the event, and declare it commemorative.

This could also be made to fall into the category of a "public demonstration", using at least one portable station set up some place where it would have a high public profile and a strapping antenna could be erected, to demonstrate that ham radio is indeed not the same thing as CB and that not all amateur radio is black-box operation, or yellow vests and multiple HT's dangling from belts.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
wx3k
Contributing

Vintage Ham Gear Enthusiast

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »

I also agree that the term "contest" for a operating event such as this is inappropriate.

I think it would be best to continue referring to this as an "event", "rally", "QSO party", ect. and avoid the term "contest". The latter has too many negative connotations, and many hams hate contests.

As for any ambiguity whether or not this event would qualify under the FCC rules regarding 1X1 callsigns, if it is a success this year, between now and next year perhaps we should research to see if there was some historical event of significance that relates to AM radio and occurred near the date of the event, and declare it commemorative.

This could also be made to fall into the category of a "public demonstration", using at least one portable station set up some place where it would have a high public profile and a strapping antenna could be erected, to demonstrate that ham radio is indeed not the same thing as CB and that not all amateur radio is black-box operation, or yellow vests and multiple HT's dangling from belts.

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
"Thunder is good; Thunder is impressive but it is lightning that does the work" ...Mark Twain
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 11:27:29 PM »

Announcement also sent to SAMRC (Southeastern AM Radio Club) email reflector.

Has anyone gotten it to Ray at Electric Radio ?

I spoke with Ray about it last Friday.  I sent him the pdf of the notice.  it was in time for the Feb. issue of ER; the problem is that it won't arrive in subscribers' mailboxes until after Feb. 6 so there was no point in getting it in the print.  Ray was a little annoyed about that until I explained that we only really got going on this a few days before I called him.  Anyway, he said he would list it on the ER website.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 11:39:23 PM »

tnx again for all ur work on this Steve. 

I always thought FCC issued U.S. call signs.  I wonder how this additional layer of ham bureaucratic nonsense got inserted into things for these 1x1 calls.   Anytime this happens with hams you wind up with someone being a little dime-store tyrant. 

I know of several DXpeditions over the past few years that operated with 1x1 callsigns.  Most recent one I recall was K4D.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 01:01:25 PM »

I wonder if anyone has received a 1X1 since Jan 12th when Steve spoke with that reluctant ARRL person?  I applied earlier on the same day and have not heard a peep. (I applied thru the ARRL, unfortunately)  The event is only 3 weeks away and we will need to stay on top of this, lest they drag their feet to the last minute and deny us.  I, for one, will make some noise, if denied.

Speaking of "one time" special event use - six times the call (K1J) was used for the annual Boy Scout Jamboree and three times used for the Jesus Festival. I didn't check, but there probably were many many other 1X1's given out for the Boy Scout event. These appear to be repeating callsign assignments and not much different than the AM Transmitter Rally for qualification.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 01:43:34 PM »

I still only see the same 4 callsigns in the database so far.....

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 02:16:17 PM »

I put in for W8B again for the Heavy Metal Rally and never heard from them one way or t'other.

KF1Z

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 02:20:45 PM »

I put in for W8B again for the Heavy Metal Rally and never heard from them one way or t'other.

Looking at the database, looks like it was NOT issued

K5WLF
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 02:25:04 PM »

I posted it on my blog:

http://www.rebelwolf.com/blog/

Hamfest tomorrow -- hope I come home with something hollow state to talk on for the event. If no 'new' toy, then will be there with my FT-897D 25 watt flamethrower.

ldb
K5WLF
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 07:58:29 PM »

I contest its status as a contest.
K5WLF
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 08:47:33 PM »

DX-100 is the top rig on my list. Saw a site on the net where WA1HZK is using a DX-100 to excite some 833s. Looked pretty cool and I could talk on the Heath while I'm building the rest of it.

The Collins I want will probably be really rough on my wallet. I'm in love with the 20V-2 <G>

ldb
K5WLF
wx3k
Contributing

Vintage Ham Gear Enthusiast

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 10:11:50 PM »

I got an email from the ARRL VEC today and they approved my request. I get the impression they are a little behind the curve in responding to all the requests. I requested "W3K"

I wonder if anyone has received a 1X1 since Jan 12th when Steve spoke with that reluctant ARRL person?  I applied earlier on the same day and have not heard a peep. (I applied thru the ARRL, unfortunately)  The event is only 3 weeks away and we will need to stay on top of this, lest they drag their feet to the last minute and deny us.  I, for one, will make some noise, if denied.

Speaking of "one time" special event use - six times the call (K1J) was used for the annual Boy Scout Jamboree and three times used for the Jesus Festival. I didn't check, but there probably were many many other 1X1's given out for the Boy Scout event. These appear to be repeating callsign assignments and not much different than the AM Transmitter Rally for qualification.

T

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
"Thunder is good; Thunder is impressive but it is lightning that does the work" ...Mark Twain
KF1Z

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2010, 10:17:24 PM »

So far we have: 1/15   10pm

K4R   
W9T   
W7S   
K8A     
K7K   
K3V   
W3R 

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2010, 11:26:33 PM »

I applied for W3G this afternoon, should know in a day or so...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2010, 12:15:48 AM »

I haven't heard anything since the phone call, but if other requests are being fullfilled through the 'League, I suspect they all will.

Wow is all I can say  Cheesy

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA3VJB
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2010, 09:14:38 AM »

Friday's weekly episode of Amateur Radio Newsline has begun airing this anchored read, nationwide:

http://arnewsline.org/

THAT FINAL ITEM: OLD TIME RADIO: AM TRANSMITTER RALLYE FEBRUARY 6 - 7

And finally this week, if you are a fan of old time heavy iron ham radio transmitters, or at least those that sound like heavy iron, listen up. The 2010 A-M Transmitter Rally will take place the weekend of February 6th to the 7th. Festivities begin at 6:00 AM Eastern Standard Time on the 6th and run until 2:00 AM the following morning. And if you have not heard what good A-M sounds like on the ham bands, you are in for a treat because it sounds like this:

--

Actual contact audio. Hear it by downloading the MP3 file at www.arnewsline.org

--

The 2010 A-M Transmitter Rally will be on 160 through 10 meters on the usual A-M frequencies. The purpose of this event is to encourage the use of Amplitude Modulation on the ham bands, and to highlight various types of AM equipment in use today. This event is open to any and all radio amateurs who are running full carrier amplitude modulation AM and any type of equipment may be used. Complete details with scoring, awards, logbook templates, and additional information is at www.classeradio.com slash amtr dot pdf

(WA3VJB)
WA3VJB
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2010, 08:35:54 PM »

I announced it on the Sunday afternoon gathering of AMers on the Antique Wireless Association group, 3837Kc.

About 30 people had checked in, quite a crowd.

W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2010, 08:52:03 AM »

It seems that I have been granted permission to use W9T, however, I never received an email or other notification of that fact.  You just have to look it up on the 1X1 call web site to confirm that it has been issued.  I sent my request to the W4VEC site, then, after no reply, I re-sent it to Win Guinn and I only knew that it was issued by checking the site.  We may be overwhelming them with requests, or....perhaps, they are not thrilled with the nature of the activity???  Anyway, I'm looking forward to the event.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
KF1Z

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2010, 08:57:27 AM »

yup, still only the same 7 callsigns I listed on the 15th.

May not get updated over the holiday weekend.

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »

As of 5pm eastern today, W3G has been issued from 1 to 10 Feb.

Also, the Delaware QSO party is scheduled for the 6th & 7th, so the call
will serve dual events...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2010, 05:27:48 PM »

Also, the Delaware QSO party is scheduled for the 6th & 7th, so the call
will serve dual events...

Is this a one hour event?

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2010, 06:23:57 PM »

Pete,

Just received the word on the party this PM...  Will look at the message and let you know..

QUOTE:

14th Annual Delaware QSO Party
Date: February 6 and 7, 2010
Contest Period: 1700Z Saturday, February 6 until 2359Z Sunday, February 7.
Contest rules at http://fsarc.org/DEQSO.html

UNQUOTE

Thereyago...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2010, 07:35:53 PM »

Pete,

Just received the word on the party this PM...  Will look at the message and let you know..

QUOTE:

14th Annual Delaware QSO Party
Date: February 6 and 7, 2010
Contest Period: 1700Z Saturday, February 6 until 2359Z Sunday, February 7.
Contest rules at http://fsarc.org/DEQSO.html

UNQUOTE

Thereyago...

I guess my comment blew right over your head  Grin

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2010, 07:50:39 PM »

No Pete, it didn't...

I just ignored it, seeing that DE is bigger than RI, for what that's worth...

Indecently on that post re the old QST's, you forgot to correct the misused word in the text of it... What, you just skimming the words? Go back and finish the edit...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015