The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:45:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi Hi FB Tunable internet rx site  (Read 2967 times)
WA3VJB
« on: October 11, 2009, 11:36:21 AM »

Globaltuners.com continues to add receivers to their website enabling tunable frequency, selectivity, and audio quality of AM and other modes.

I find it useful checking where and how propagation is doing. For example 40 meters this morning seemed dead, until I fired up a Connecticut-based receiver, and found out signals were fine.

I rolled a video, first using the camera's built-in microphone, then cross fading to a direct audio input at about a dozen seconds into this CQ.

It's interesting to check the band by checking receivers in other regions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48pBTykFVN4
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 12:45:18 PM »

Nice video Paul! That's the first online receiver I've seen that produced usable audio with the AM mode. I've played with a few of the European based SDR online receivers to hear and see my own CW, SSB, and digital mode transmissions come through, but haven't seen any that lent themselves to tuning around in the AM mode. The recovered audio with your direct input connection was pretty decent. What kind of latency were you seeing?

Nice find!

Rob W1AEX

* w1aex sdr.jpg (9.9 KB, 500x146 - viewed 288 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 02:19:08 PM »

You will see two or three audio quality settings in a pulldown, and sometimes that affects the latency. Usually I listen on HIGH quality, and the delay is probably 4 seconds, typically.  It also depends whether you use Quicktime or Windows Media Player.  I have not yet tried their "Unreal" application to see if it's a quicker spoolout.

For that video, I simply plugged into the earphone jack of the amplified speakers on the desktop computer. NO high performance soundcard either, just the one that came with a 2003 HP Presario.

Nice video Paul! That's the first online receiver I've seen that produced usable audio with the AM mode. I've played with a few of the European based SDR online receivers to hear and see my own CW, SSB, and digital mode transmissions come through, but haven't seen any that lent themselves to tuning around in the AM mode. The recovered audio with your direct input connection was pretty decent. What kind of latency were you seeing?

Nice find!

Rob W1AEX
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 02:46:52 PM »

You sound good!

People are remoting their flex radios all the time, which seems really interesting to me, operating your home AM rig from someplace far away.

The other side of that would be to operate my radio remotely from home, say install it at work, and operate it at home, with no qrm!!!!!
Why I could get on at nite!

Work has a BIG tower, plus many tall trees and lots of ground, there is no one there but me, electricity is free, but there is a lot of electronic hash around, and no outside internet access, only on-net....

Brett

WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 02:51:26 PM »

People are remoting their flex radios all the time, which seems really interesting to me, operating your home AM rig from someplace far away.

Yeah -- check out Brian at the lake while his rig stayed home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuueqTl0fDo

(oh and tnx for the report)
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 08:35:49 AM »

Very interesting site - audio on most receivers sounds pretty good.  Listened to myself this AM using receivers in Albany NY and NW CT on 75. 

Great way to hear how you sound to the rest of the  world  and to hear my old buzzard WWII rig's CW notes, and their AM audio.

While listening on the NW CT receiver on CW, I noted that the remote RX  display's S meter would update in real time, based on my keying, but there was a 15 second latency in the audio.  Don't know if that is adjustable or not, or if it varies on the DSP chain, including the local computer here.  I'm running LINUX Ubuntu OS and using ATT DSL for my ISP and Mozilla Firefox browser, Dell 600 laptop with wireless LAN.  The latency is of course very useful to listen to your own atomic yaylos.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WA3VJB
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 07:56:34 PM »

I haven't figured out what affects the amount of delay.

I think it was the Albany site, but in one instance (somewhere) I shortened the delay by picking the "hyellowee" audio setting.  Did not work elsewhere.

I've noticed the delay can be as little as 3-4 seconds. Might be the vagary of the internet. But when it's a real short "echo," it is almost possible to go half-duplex if you can keep your focus, wearing headphones and having someone zero'd and say something while you're making a transmission.

The fellow who runs the two Connecticut sites is a nice guy -- I've told him what I use it for and I've seen him tune in while I'm tuned in. He didn't know how much AM is around ...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015