The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:23:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Article in CQ Suggests That Tube Circuits Might be Outlawed!  (Read 13801 times)
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 08:13:15 AM »

Well, we do have this 70.7V requirement for things like distributed audio in intercom systems in offices, door bells and thermistat wires,  and the like and not require special wire. like Romex. It was arbitrarily dervied from some magic belief that 100 V (peak) had some meaning. BUT, 76V?

Considere effect on RF output:
For 50 OHm coax it would mean 115.52 W (matched)
for 450 Ohm ladder line, 12.84 W.  ARRRGGGHHHH!

When I first saw the title of the post, I thought it would apply to power wasted in filaments.

AB3FL
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 09:12:50 AM »

thast is nuts as most of EU has 240V at the outlet......

Tom - AB3FL

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 11:21:32 AM »

" Or, just smuggle them in with the heroin. "

And probably be considered lower than the heroin smuggler/addicts, by the enlightened.

klc

What? Me worry?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 12:02:45 PM »

The most likely route that would be taken to restrict amateur radio equipment, at least in this country, would be mandatory type acceptance for amateur transmitters like what already exists with CB, broadcast and two-way commercial equipment.

The foot has already been in the door for several years for ham gear, with technical restrictions on external amplifiers and emission purity standards for commercially manufactured plastic radios, including receivers.

I recall at one time, some rule that was purported to address the issue of illegal CB gear was worded in such a way that amateur band receivers also capable of 11m reception were illegal to sell or trade, even on the used market between consenting adults.  This included vintage general coverage receivers.  I am not sure if that rule is still on the books, but AFAIK it was never enforced.

If light bulbs could be declared illegal to import or sell, so could vacuum tubes, particularly since tubes are no longer made in USA.  Tubes could even be included under the definition of "incandescent lamps".

Worth keeping an eye on for any further developments, but not something that I would be losing any sleep over at the moment.  

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2009, 12:06:52 PM »

Well, we do have this 70.7V requirement for things like distributed audio in intercom systems in offices, door bells and thermistat wires,  and the like and not require special wire. like Romex. It was arbitrarily dervied from some magic belief that 100 V (peak) had some meaning. BUT, 76V?

I suspect that somehow they have come to the conclusion that anything over 76 volts might kill you.  As previously pointed out, their "mains" voltage at the outlet is twice what ours is and there seems to be no real standard.  Also, there are a number of devices or circuits within "modern" technology where voltages higher than 76 volts may be found.

Ya know, also there are several tubes that will operate on less than 76 V, including a series of 12 volt tubes that were used in car radios.

But..of course, we need to be sensitive to the needs of the planet and tubes might contribute to "global warming" or man-made climate change.   Shocked Roll Eyes

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2009, 01:17:19 PM »

But..of course, we need to be sensitive to the needs of the planet and tubes might contribute to "global warming" or man-made climate change.   Shocked Roll Eyes

They are so concerned about climate change and energy wastage with incandescent lamps, yet that's like pissing in the ocean compared to what is wasted to maintain all the unnecessary light pollution that saturates every urban area almost everywhere in the world, and which is making headway in rural areas as well.  The human race has become afraid of the dark, so we have to create artificial daylight during the hours between sundown and sunrise.

Give Back the Night

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K9PNP

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2009, 07:13:40 PM »

Don:  FYI, I have used 2 CFLs as outside lights for a full year now and have not had an ignition problem in cold weather.  The coldest starting temp I can remember would only have been about 10 degrees F though;  relatively warm winter last year.

In any event, some of these and other proposed regulations are really questionable.  I read bureaucratise relatively well having read military regs and tech manuals for a number of years and I have trouble understanding what some of the current [last year or so] proposals are trying to say.  Obviously something that was generated inside somebody's national "inside the beltline" government building.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
K3ZS

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2009, 10:21:58 AM »

When I had a garage built about 15 years ago, I did the electrical work.    I put in the circular screw in type flourescent lights.  The electrical inspector came and said everything was fine except I had the replace the flourescents with regular light bulbs.    The reason, they would not work when it got cold.
ka3zlr
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2009, 07:12:47 PM »

I changed my Garage outside lights to 100 Watt GE Halogens much nicer light.

Jack.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2009, 09:09:35 AM »

I sent an email to the author, inquiring about the source of the information on the impending regulation in Europe.  I haven't received a reply yet, but he may have lots of correspondence to deal with.  I will let everyone know if I receive any info.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2009, 11:37:27 AM »

Jack said:
I sent an email to the author, inquiring about the source of the information on the impending regulation in Europe.  I haven't received a reply yet, but he may have lots of correspondence to deal with.  I will let everyone know if I receive any info.

Forgive us Jack if we don't hold our breath  Cheesy

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2009, 05:37:51 PM »

Jack said:

Forgive us Jack if we don't hold our breath  Cheesy

no no no.. during a panic attack, it's best to take slow, deep breaths. Well let's hope the author will reply and clarify the meaning of the article for those of us who are less articleulate.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015