The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:42:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4-400 screen modulation  (Read 4147 times)
KA4RFA
Contributing

« on: September 28, 2009, 08:45:47 PM »

I'm just getting back into ham and I'm new to the forum.

I'm amazed at wealth knowledge of the forum members.  I have some questions.

I'm building a 50.4 AM transmitter using pair of 4-400's.  I do not have iron to plate modulate, so I want to screen modulate instead.  Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

Jim
KC4VWU

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:27:13 PM »

I know I'll probably get beat up over this, but let me make a suggestion; Cathode modulation. It's simpler, and you'll probably not notice much of a difference in the results.
73, Phil
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 09:51:32 PM »

Run it as a linear, less hassles and you will still have a respectable signal if your exciter has decent audio.

In the 60's I built up a 4-400A for mountain top contesting with a club and used it for AM, CW and SSB driving with a 10A and TX converter.

Carl
KM1H
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 10:07:53 PM »

Carl makes a good point concerning simplicity and the ability to use it for other modes is definitely a plus.  I am pretty sure one of the ARRL handbooks carried a design for one.

Rodger

Rodger WQ9E
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 03:51:36 PM »

Built a HB pair of screen modulated 4-400's several years back.  Modulation is introuced using a hi fidelity output transformer, wired hi-Z in series with adjustible screen supply. Low Z side of transformer driven by a "stick" solid state 10W audio amplifier. A little "kink"  in the envelope, but feedback not necessary. System works great, good fidelity...of course, not efficient, but for amateur use efficiency not a big deal unless you're into 'green'.

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 08:07:52 AM »

Built a HB pair of screen modulated 4-400's several years back.  Modulation is introuced using a hi fidelity output transformer, wired hi-Z in series with adjustible screen supply. Low Z side of transformer driven by a "stick" solid state 10W audio amplifier. A little "kink"  in the envelope, but feedback not necessary. System works great, good fidelity...of course, not efficient, but for amateur use efficiency not a big deal unless you're into 'green'.

Applying a little of the modulating voltage in phase to the control grid biass will get rid of the "kink" and make the modulated envelope waveform look like a plate mod rig. Been there, done that.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015