The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:17:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The blessings we have in amateur radio  (Read 3673 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« on: September 15, 2009, 10:15:36 AM »

I am down here in Long Guyland because of a significant family emergency involving hospitals and doctors for someone very near and dear to me... seems like we have dodged a bullet for the moment anyhow.

But all of this made me think about just how wonderful it is to get on AM and do radio.
Not being able to do it from here, and not having the time or energy, seeing others in that hospital who were clearly in sad shape made me think about it.

Please get me a nurse and an IV drip, prop me up in a bed next to my rig if and when that time comes??

Don't know exactly why and what it is about that AM radio thing, but at least for me it is good for the soul...

I'm not looking for the sympathy posts guys, I'm just sharing my thoughts on the beauty of AM ham radio. Don't loose sight of that...

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
ka3zlr
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 12:45:54 PM »

Ya know Bear I achieved that Rationality an More when I came out of the two week battle with EColi that started my journey these last 9 months...I wasn't on the List for Discharge let's say..an when I woke up an the Wife said Hi it's been  two weeks with you being in an out...Then they dropped the even better news on me...

Ya waking back up whatever side your on is a real eye opener...Hope all is well with Your Family OM....All the Best.

Jack.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 09:46:43 PM »

TNX for the perspective. Yes, enjoy it while you can. Later we can all say, "Give me the dope, OM."

I am down here in Long Guyland because of a significant family emergency involving hospitals and doctors for someone very near and dear to me... seems like we have dodged a bullet for the moment anyhow.

But all of this made me think about just how wonderful it is to get on AM and do radio.
Not being able to do it from here, and not having the time or energy, seeing others in that hospital who were clearly in sad shape made me think about it.

Please get me a nurse and an IV drip, prop me up in a bed next to my rig if and when that time comes??

Don't know exactly why and what it is about that AM radio thing, but at least for me it is good for the soul...

I'm not looking for the sympathy posts guys, I'm just sharing my thoughts on the beauty of AM ham radio. Don't loose sight of that...

_-_-WBear2GCR

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 03:07:12 AM »

well, AM and the people around it are directly responsible for my being here. It gave me a direction and something to persue when I had nothing to live for but my dad and my wife.

Without the goal of getting back on the air, and the equipment to do it with, I'd be dead as a stone and on the dead wagon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs

so, always look on the bright side of life!  Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1loyjm4SOa0&NR=1
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 09:08:03 AM »

Nah, Derb-o-matic, Mr. Natural sez "Keep your sunny side up"!  Grin

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 11:49:43 AM »

Best to you and whomever Bear.

For those of us in better health (for now),  Radio keeps our minds active, fingers nimble, and wires runnin'.

Remember how those old  R/W- telegraph guys use to hand you a pair of short handled dikes and ask you as a neophyte to cut a piect of #9 hard drawn copper?

"Strong hands and quick minds." 
        Real Radio

RICK  *W3RSW*
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 12:43:29 PM »

Best to you and whomever Bear.

Remember how those old  R/W- telegraph guys use to hand you a pair of short handled dikes and ask you as a neophyte to cut a piect of #9 hard drawn copper?

"Strong hands and quick minds." 
        Real Radio

Persistence pays off....as well as creative thinking to solve such problems.  Ya just score the wire with a rotary motion around its circumference, then snap it off!

Derb...You have served as an inspiration while battling your health problems.  You have shown real determination and your enthusiasm has really shown in your recent postings about your projects.  You will get those strapping transmitters going soon and they will sound great!  Your positive attitude will lead you to success!

Bear...Hope everything works out well for you and your family!

We all have benefited from the camaraderie that is shown by this group in pursuit of our common interests in AM and radio in general.  I am certainly proud to be associated with this group and it has provided me with real enjoyment, encouragement, and appreciation for all the collective expertise and genuine interest shown by others in my projects and accomplishments in the hobby.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W1UJR
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 10:49:16 PM »

We all have benefited from the camaraderie that is shown by this group in pursuit of our common interests in AM and radio in general.  I am certainly proud to be associated with this group and it has provided me with real enjoyment, encouragement, and appreciation for all the collective expertise and genuine interest shown by others in my projects and accomplishments in the hobby.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Amen Jack, amen!
When I think of the things that I have learned, the folks that have met over the last 15 years, its pretty amazing! AMers are just the most social and friendly of the crowd. I recall the first time I met Mike W3SLK back so many years ago when I picked up my 75A4 from him in PA. Or meeting Larry when I moved to Maine, or seeing Gary's amazing shack. Friendships, camaraderie, and skills to last a lifetime. Pretty amazing it all came from radio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015