The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:18:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed Bump the doggie ----- no radio content  (Read 20410 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: August 28, 2009, 02:33:34 AM »

abt a week ago me and wifey were headed down to the flea market in VA here I sometimes find radios for virtually nothing, where I got the 20 dollar RAO-7 and the 5 dollar Philco 37-116X. We never made it there. I was dozing when wifey said "aww, poor dog got hit by a car. There was a black dog on the shoulder not moving, at least I thought not. wifey looked in her mirror as we went by and she saw the "dead" dog flick one of it's ears.  Shocked

We couldn't let the dog die on the side of the road, and we made a U hoping no cops saw us. We pulled off on the shoulder and approached dog where upon it thumped it's tail against the road.  Smiley

Got a blanket, wrapped up dog, tied him down in back with load strap and headed for the vet emergency clinic 45 minutes away. he was a mess, blood from his mouth and a mangled leg.
Got him there. Vet said it didnt look good, but we at least pulled him off a burning hot highway so he could be put down in peace.

Our county animal control took over control of the dog and we left. Only thing was, his injuries were not major enough to put him down then and there, so they gave him prednisone and a cage.

24 hours later we were called by animal control who told us that the dogs owners had been found but they were in the middle of a nasty divorce and that neither the wife or the husband wanted h dog back, each blaming the other for the dog getting out and both refusing to take control.

fast forward to the ending - me and Glo have put in to adopt the dog. we may not get approved for various reasons, but we are hoping he comes home with us. I named him Speed Bump or Speedy for short , and here he is a week after being hit. We haven't got him yet but we think we will wind up with him.

Sometimes you find valuable things even when not looking for them.

* P1020145.jpg (94.02 KB, 1279x932 - viewed 431 times.)

* P1020146.jpg (169.17 KB, 1278x917 - viewed 471 times.)
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 06:30:48 AM »

look at that face!  Grin

hope you get him
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 08:51:09 AM »

Derb,

You and your XYL are good and decent people to go to all that trouble for that pup!  Hope you get him...Can't think of a better home than with folks who care that much.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 09:03:47 AM »

[...] the dogs owners had been found but they were in the middle of a nasty divorce and that neither the wife or the husband wanted h dog back, each blaming the other for the dog getting out and both refusing to take control.
Hmmmph!  What lovely people!  Roll Eyes     Selfish, self-indulgent a-holes like that don't deserve dogs.   
(Probably too self-centered and selfish, which is why they're getting divorced).

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
WQ9E

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 09:14:44 AM »

In agreement with Ed, that couple not only doesn't deserve a dog they should be forced to spend the rest of their life together making each other miserable.  At the other extreme Tim, you guys and the dog will make a great match and I hope you get him.  The fact that you two rescued him should be more than enough reason for you to receive "speed bump". 

I grew up with a German Shepherd who was named Johnny the Baptist because my mother found her as a small puppy sitting on the doorstep of a local baptist church.  Someone had dumped the litter of puppies and the others had wandered out and been killed in the street.  I have had a lot of dogs since then but none better than Johnny.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 09:46:54 AM »

I think dogs that are brought back from near death by someone are more devoted to that person than any other dog would ever be. 
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »

What a great looking dog!  Hope you and Glo get him, Derb.  He looks like a good soul, poor guy.  You will be repaid mega-fold for you kindness.

How old would you say he is?  [From the pics, I'm gonna guess about 3 years old. A smaller dog like that could live to 16+ with good care] 

Yes, that's a rule I have too. Whenever I see a stray dog, (or injured especially)  I stop, take him into the vehicle and bring him directly to the nearest vet.  I've found quite a few missing dogs this way.  In this day and age, there's no reason for a dog to be running free on the road. It almost always means the dog is in trouble and needs help.

I look at it this way.... what if it were Yaz lost? Would I want someone else to do the same for me? That thought alone makes me stop immediately.

[BTW, we need to be extra careful when trying to grab a dog when in traffic. He can easily become spooked and run into traffic by our efforts to get him on a leash. If it's a busy road, I try to stop traffic both ways and get a few people to help, if possible.  It can be tricky.]

Keep us informed, Derb!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 11:51:15 AM »

Kudos for you and the XYL Derb! But be prepared to have your life put under a proverbial microscope. We adopted a boxer from a no-kill shelter and I have been through Shellback initiations that were easier than that! (You swabbies out there will know what I'm talking about Wink  )

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 12:08:48 PM »

Derb, you and wifey are wonderful people!!!  I love dogs, and I hope Speed Bump returns to good health and that he gets to stay with you where I know he will be cherished, loved, and well taken care of.

Walt

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
KB3RRX
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 02:43:57 PM »

Kudos to you Derb  Both my 2 girls were rescued one from a bad home and one who was dumped along the road.
Both are now spoiled a bit and. You will never find more devoted companions (xyl accepted hi hi)
Hope you get the doggie he deserves a good home after what he has been through

Folks who abuse and mistreat animals are the one thing that makes my blood boil.

Wayne
KB3RRX
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 12:00:48 AM »

One of our cats (Derb, you will remember the big fat tiger that stays in the house all the time) was found in the weeds as part of a litter when the mama cat disappeared, probably road kill.  We took in the whole litter; each cat was about the size of a mouse when we discovered them hearing their cries.  Managed to get them to eat, using a medicine dropper filled with crushed up dry kitten food mixed with water.  When they  gained strength and developed the ability to eat on their own, we raised them and eventually gave away all but two.  One was more developed and seemed more intelligent that the others, so we kept him, plus one more.  We named them Smoke and Fluff, because they looked uncannily like the illustrated characters in a story book we used to read to our kids.  Smoke got run over by a car about a year later, but Fluff (the more intelligent one) is still here, now 13 years old.  But we rarely call him by his name; his nickname is  "Biggo".

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 11:01:11 AM »

Don, how about giving us a photo of Biggo?

As our kids were growing up we had lots of cats. At one time we had three females (sisters) who had litters simultaneously, resulting in 16 or 17 kittens. We found takers for most of them, but kept two.  One of those two was especially intelligent, and youngest son John (now K4JRM) adopted him as his. He would play ball, batting every paper wad back at you. If you pitched the wad in a certain way he'd do a backward somersault to get it back to you. John named him Phydeaux. Unfortunately, Phydeaux was killed by a car.

A friend of my wife's was breeding Siamese, and gave a new-born to John, who named him Fred. He was so small he fit into the palm of your hand. He slept under the covers with us until he was larger, then sleeping on the foot of our bed. As a result he shucked the usual temperament of a Siamese, and became the friendliest cat we ever had. After eating he'd saunter into the living room, jump up onto my lap, turn over onto his back and meow for a tummy rub. I lost him to old age at 16. I've never seen a cat since who could come close as a friendly and loving cat. I miss him.

Walt

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 12:23:03 PM »

Bless you guys Derb.

Take all our posts to the pound to show them you are worthy of keeping "Road Bump."

Just a few moments away from being another type of roadie.
What a cutie.

RICK  *W3RSW*
K1ZJH

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 12:37:33 PM »

Looks like a miniature Lab!  Grin  Cute dog.

You folks should get him.
No one else would be that devoted to his future well being!
Let us know how it turns out.

Pete
John K5PRO

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 02:03:32 PM »

I hope you can keep that dog you saved, very nice looker. When I bought this house in 1992, the owners were engaged in getting a divorce, so they left both a very nice dog and a cat in the house, and walked away! At the time I had a young dog with me from Delaware, and so the neighbors adopted old Ashes. She was a neat old dog, eventually she became a neighborhood pet but got killed by an auto eventually. The big cat stayed with me for a few years until Wyle-E Coyote got hungry.

Fast forward, I had to put down my dog 2 years ago, she was nearly 17 and could hardly get up anymore. Then last year I had to euthanize another. Then ex-YL took the remaining dog with her. Now, am dogless..... but I love 'em.

WQ9E

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 02:24:29 PM »

He was so small he fit into the palm of your hand. He slept under the covers with us until he was larger, then sleeping on the foot of our bed. As a result he shucked the usual temperament of a Siamese, and became the friendliest cat we ever had.

Walt

Walt,

Some Siamese are really nice.  Siam Sam is my official radio room cat.  He was dumped by someone out here in the country and I first saw him as I was heading out to the barn to plug in the tractor early one very snowy morning.  I tried for months to tame him but he would never let you get close.  I had pretty much given up but then I brought home some KFC and he started following me up the sidewalk meowing loudly.  I took out a piece and he sat in my lap and ate from my hand.  After that he moved into the basement radio room and is a really nice and friendly cat.  He is big and has all of his claws but can jump from a shelf onto your shoulder without injury.  Our daughter was only a couple of years old when Sam joined us but he has always been incredibly gentle with her.  His only bad habits are the traditional loud and mournful Siamese meow, especially when he is exposed to code, and he has a thing for stealing my small alignment tools.

He also likes to pose for photos.  In the third photo Daphne is being the more traditional Siamese and is definitely not wishing Sam Merry Christmas!

Rodger WQ9E

* NZ1W5580.JPG (318.41 KB, 786x666 - viewed 376 times.)

* Siam Sam and Anna.JPG (203.81 KB, 1280x1085 - viewed 382 times.)

* NZ1W6976.JPG (236.43 KB, 1280x1085 - viewed 449 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 02:44:55 PM »

Rodger, those pics are awesome! I've never seen a Siamese with a blueish color--mine was redish brown.

Have you seen the thread concerning the California Budget? It's really cute.

Walt

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 03:02:19 PM »

Glo put in the adoption papers last night on the way home from work. I think it's less difficult to adopt a kid than a dog! The application was unbelievable.
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 04:10:18 PM »

Derb, I know that as animal lovers you and Glo picked up a dying dog on the highway, nursed him back to health, but you had to apply for adoption to keep him? After his former owners abandoned him and left him to die? Isn't this somewhat outrageous? I think they should have awarded you a heroes' certificate instead of making you jump through hoops!

Walt

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 04:23:48 PM »

I think dogs that are brought back from near death by someone are more devoted to that person than any other dog would ever be. 

And vice versa!

I can't see why you and Glo would be prevented from adopting Speedy. Afterall, youse guys did the rescue.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 04:30:45 PM »

Neither my girls below, nor I, get overly thrilled with cats.

* PC250027.JPG (186.83 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 404 times.)

* PC250010.JPG (182.29 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 409 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 04:50:41 PM »

That STATE knows best. All hail the STATE!

And vice versa!

I can't see why you and Glo would be prevented from adopting Speedy. Afterall, youse guys did the rescue.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 05:01:30 PM »

I was never a cat lover but after adopting a cat it didn't matter the species. I rescued a cat or should I say she rescued me.  We moved in here about 7 years ago. The 'hood was new and there were only a few houses in da 'hood.  It was the middle winter and I came home from work and there was a scrawny and mangy looking cat sitting in the driveway when I came home from work.  I knew none of the neighbors owned a cat at least not this cat because of the way she looked.  I shoo'ed her off.  The next day she was there again.  I didn't shoo her off that time but instead fed her a can of tuna.  I knew she was fending for herself from the looks.  Knowing she didn't belong to the 'hood I started feeding her so she would be strong and able to defend herself considering we were out in the woods. Feeding her that one time she stuck around so I continued for that season. To make a long story short, Miss Pigs is part of the household now and doing well. And she keeps my sanity (she rescued me). Glad I fed her that can of tuna way back when.  The sad part is, all I can figure is some loser dimwit dumped her off on our street. The flip side is, it's their loss and my (and Miss Pigs) gain.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »

Neither my girls below, nor I, get overly thrilled with cats.

Pete,

Your two white girls look like they need a good romp in the mud with Yaz...  (XYL carpet approved)   Grin

T

* YazPic.jpg (266.16 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 342 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 06:28:45 PM »

Derb said:
Glo put in the adoption papers last night on the way home from work. I think it's less difficult to adopt a kid than a dog! The application was unbelievable.

Boy aint that the truth. This here is a picture of Madison. She is a purebred boxer and her owners let her go for whatever reason. She was on the run so long that her pads were smooth and her ribs were showing. Now she is a little less emaciated and enjoys 'counter surfing'  Cheesy

* Misc Family Pictures.jpg (1067.61 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 350 times.)

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015