The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:53:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard  (Read 23359 times)
w5hro
« on: August 25, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »

Well, Apple surprised everyone and is shipping Snow Leopard for delivery this Friday, 08/28/2009.

They have redone Leopard’s core to streamline the OS and they added some new features.

I’m really curious about the new QuickTime X and support for Microsoft Exchange Server.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MAC_OS_X_SNGL?mco=NzgxMDc2NA
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 04:52:18 PM »

i'm not sure what i am going to do yet, as i have two 10.5 boxes and one 10.4
I dont think i can buy the family 5 pack because only 10.5 can be upgraded to 10.6, you need to buy the full version for anything else
looks pretty cool though
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 04:58:38 PM »

Of course it's cool, it's SNOW Leopard.

How many OS X versions till Apple is reduced to using Tabby Cat for the name?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 05:25:52 PM »

Part of Overview: Wake from sleep and shut down your Mac faster than before.

I always shut down my PC when I go to sleep, and when I wake from sleep, I turn it on. Sounds like a big Mac conspiracy.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 05:50:06 PM »

Pre-ordered my "Family Pack" yesterday via the online Apple store.
Who else sells 5 copies of an advanced OS for $49?  Wink

Windoze never again.

I still remember that day I was liberated converted, July 31, 2006.

Even the OS icon is cool!

* Picture 2.jpg (60.33 KB, 990x420 - viewed 427 times.)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »

I'm happy with the current OS whatever cat it is, (Leopard?) I can never keep them straight.  I think mine is 10.5.8.  I know they use the cat names because it's supposed to be easier to remember but I find it the opposite--to me it only confuses things.
So, is this a whole new OS X version?  10.6?  I'm going to let you all debug it for me  Cheesy

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W1UJR
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 06:05:30 PM »

Yeah, I pre-ordered my "Family Pack" today. They are actually about a month or so ahead on this release and it caught me off guard. It wasn't supposed to come out until around October I think.

Microjunk has their new Windows release coming out soon, but its just Vista renamed Windows 7 or something. Its still “VISTA” regardless.

Don't know what you are talking about Brian, Vista runs fine on this!  Wink

K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »

It's a world gone mad, an OS shipped before its time.

Man bites dog.
Water runs uphill
K1JJ runs 50 watts into a dipole
An OS ready ahead of schedule

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 08:57:35 PM »

"  It's a world gone mad, an OS shipped before it's time.   "

A preachment, dear friend
You are about to receive on John Barleycorn
Nicotine and the temptations of Eve

No parkin' by the sewer sign
Hot dog, my razors broke
Water drippin' up the spout
But I dont care, let it all hang out

Hangin' from a pine tree by my knees
Sun is shinin' through the shade
Nobody knows what its all about
It's too much, man, let it all hang out

Saw a man walkin' upside down
My T.V.s on the blink
Made Galileo look like a Boy Scout
Sorry 'bout that, let it all hang out

Sleep all day, drive all night
Brain my numb, can't stop now
For sure ain't no doubt
Keep an open mind, let it all hang out

It's rainin' inside a big brown moon
How does that mess you baby up, leg
Eatin' a Reuben sandwich with sauerkraut
Don't stop now, baby, let it all hang out

What? Me worry?
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 08:58:38 PM »

maybe finally time to retire the 2003 dual 1.8 G5 here. I think the current mac mini with the intel core duo and the 9400M video would cream it. any of the intel imacs or the pro's would crush it like a bug.

no more power pc support. You can buy dual 1.25ghz g4's on ebay for around 100 bucks now.
W1UJR
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 09:01:03 PM »

maybe finally time to retire the 2003 dual G5 here. I think the current mac mini with the intel core duo and the 9400M video would cream it. any of the intel imacs or the pro's would crush it like a bug.

no more power pc support.

I love the iMacs Derb.

One cable off the back only, the power cable.
Everything else is wireless!
A work of art!
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 09:50:27 PM »

(Flame proof suit snuggly fitted on) Well, I guess I'm probably the only one here that doesn't have much affinity for the 'Mac.' I guess it stems from the halicon days of working at NASA LRC, (just south of HUZman). Mind you this was the late '80's and the price you paid for a Macintosh with a 13" B&W screen, with a high performance 68XX processor, (I don't think the the 68XXX was used until the Mac II). You could get a an IBM AT with a 30MB disk drive and EVGA color monitor. The other thing that stood out was that a standard centronics interface cable for the printer was ~$15. Apple charge $35 which was pretty much the same cable but came in a nice white box with a big colorful apple logo on it. After many cries from users, Apple finally relented and licensed first (memory is hazy on this) Rodime and the Q-drive to manufacture psuedo outboard HDD's, (these were in same color scheme as the Mac and served as a pedestal for the MAC). Later Apple licensed other companies to make larger monitors because they were being left in the dust by the DOS machines. The point is that you pay a large premium because it has that apple logo on it. Hence why I still use a PC. It does what I want it to do and I bought it pre-loaded with most of the software so maybe I made a donation to Herr Gates but he doesn't get anything else from me. Let the fires begin!!  Grin

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 11:49:15 PM »

maybe finally time to retire the 2003 dual 1.8 G5 here. I think the current mac mini with the intel core duo and the 9400M video would cream it. any of the intel imacs or the pro's would crush it like a bug.

no more power pc support. You can buy dual 1.25ghz g4's on ebay for around 100 bucks now.

Derb, I'm running a mac mini right now that I got last summer and it's been great.  I got the cheap model too; run it with a samsung monitor I got at tiger direct and backup with time machine on an external 300 Gb h.d.
Does everything I need.  I use a linux machine at work; operate an old Win95 PC in the shack that pretty much just runs a DOS logging program.  The Mac does everything I need on the network.

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 12:00:45 AM »

Let the fires begin!!  Grin
No flames; Hams used to say the same things about Collins, i.e. Drake or Heath SB stuff just as good; ur paying for the little round meatball logo blah blah....and I agree that some of the design decisions to make the products art museum pieces were dumb (remember the cube mac convection cooled, always a big mistake, and the products with the sealed batteries you can't field replace) but you get a modern OS X (i.e. unix) Mac and they work with few or no hassles  and mostly no viruses and malware.   I can open a terminal emulator window and get the command line and start writing python code, and interact with the shell if I want to which for me at least is convenient because I'm used to operating in a unix line command environment.  Not sure what you can do with Windows or even if you can get a line command prompt.  And when you get a new mac you can automatically port everything off the old one with a firewire, etc. etc.  A lot changed with OS X.  Check it out.  Oh yeah there's a lot of ham software running on macs now too, but to be sure, if price alone is ur criteria, a mac will probably never beat a PC box; just hope you never have to reinstall the Windows OS  Cheesy

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 09:20:49 AM »

Rob said:
A lot changed with OS X.  Check it out.  Oh yeah there's a lot of ham software running on macs now too, but to be sure, if price alone is ur criteria, a mac will probably never beat a PC box; just hope you never have to reinstall the Windows OS 

You know, it was interesting to watch the transistion between the PC's and the Mac. Generally the women liked the Mac's because of the icon driven software. No doubt about it, it was definatively alot easier to use than DOS. The guy that wrote the original software left Apple and wrote the OS for the Commodore Amiga. They clearly knew what direction to take with regards to software. Unfortunately, they didn't leave any money in the bank for marketing. Eventually, Gates and crew saw the light and developed Windows. I was gone by the time the Windows 3.0 came out and was working service engineer with a system that utilized the Z8000. Gone are those days.  Cry

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
John K5PRO

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 06:44:19 PM »

I installed Snow Leopard yesterday, typing this with it. It looks as good or better than 10.5.6, and I see no problems besides Norton Antivirus stuck and needed to go to their site and update itself to work again. As for Quicktime, are you sure ('HRO) that the old Quicktime allowed exporting in different formats? I recall only being able to do that once I paid an extra $29 and got the Quicktime Pro update online. Then that worked, as the greyed out commands became functional. The new player does allow trimming movies, something that I did using Pro before. I tried to find out more abut Quicktime X but its not on the Apple Site yet. So maybe they will add that feature again, or make it an option. You can still find the old Quicktime 7 and Pro stuff:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/

Have you ever noticed how clunky installing updates are to Windoze, every time it seems like things were written entirely by a different programmer and nothing is uniformly simple? With new Mac OS, and older Mac OS, it is about as easy as it gets installing and updating. They are pretty smooth running, seem to have worked out bugs better than Microsoft does.

I got rid of PC last December completely. Only have this one MacBook Pro 15 inch laptop now, wireless anywhere at home. It has dual intel cores so I have VMWare running and it boots my same Windows XP SP3 copy that used to be on the PC. I still use it for only one application that isn't on Mac. Can run Windoze and Mac at the same time, very easy now, why even consider a Windoze machine anymore?
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 06:57:19 PM »

do a search for "MPEG Streamclip" on google. very nice and free movie encoder that does most everything quicktime pro did.

I'm still chugging away with 10.4.11 here,  never did get 10.5.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 09:10:43 PM »

Yep. You've needed QT Pro to export for a long time. Been using it here since the 1990s. Well worth the few bucks it cost. Or you could always spring for Final Cut and spend a whole bunch more than $29.

I installed Snow Leopard yesterday, typing this with it. It looks as good or better than 10.5.6, and I see no problems besides Norton Antivirus stuck and needed to go to their site and update itself to work again. As for Quicktime, are you sure ('HRO) that the old Quicktime allowed exporting in different formats? I recall only being able to do that once I paid an extra $29 and got the Quicktime Pro update online. Then that worked, as the greyed out commands became functional. The new player does allow trimming movies, something that I did using Pro before. I tried to find out more abut Quicktime X but its not on the Apple Site yet. So maybe they will add that feature again, or make it an option. You can still find the old Quicktime 7 and Pro stuff:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/

Have you ever noticed how clunky installing updates are to Windoze, every time it seems like things were written entirely by a different programmer and nothing is uniformly simple? With new Mac OS, and older Mac OS, it is about as easy as it gets installing and updating. They are pretty smooth running, seem to have worked out bugs better than Microsoft does.

I got rid of PC last December completely. Only have this one MacBook Pro 15 inch laptop now, wireless anywhere at home. It has dual intel cores so I have VMWare running and it boots my same Windows XP SP3 copy that used to be on the PC. I still use it for only one application that isn't on Mac. Can run Windoze and Mac at the same time, very easy now, why even consider a Windoze machine anymore?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 09:19:08 PM »

All my Windows updates are done automatically. Microsoft sends them down to the machine, diddles with whatever it has to diddle with, and it's done. My hands don't get dirty and I don't ever see them unless I go and review the update list. I've been a happy Windows user since Version 1.0.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 09:52:05 PM »

Really. They sent you Vista free? You must be special.

All my Windows updates are done automatically. Microsoft sends them down to the machine, diddles with whatever it has to diddle with, and it's done. My hands don't get dirty and I don't ever see them unless I go and review the update list. I've been a happy Windows user since Version 1.0.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 09:53:40 PM »

Nothing new. You've always need to get a new version of QT Pro for each new (or every other) version of the OS. There is nothing different with Snow Leopard.

Yeah, that’s what I had was QT Pro. The new QT X version is ok, but they did remove the "Export" selection on the menu to a new "Share" menu, which only gives you 3 fixed choices. I think Apple's intent is to create software for dummies, but that totally blows! for the rest of us who want more advanced control. To me they have decreased QuickTime’s capabilities instead of adding to it.

I've been using MPEG streamclip for a long time as well, but they should not have removed the export feature. I’m going to upload negative feedback with “0” or “1”stars on Apple’s website, whichever is the lowest for this OS upgrade.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »

Yea, that sux. Can you still use QT Pro 7?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 10:53:26 PM »

Really. They sent you Vista free? You must be special.

Vista was already installed on the last two machines I brought from HP. My other machines are running XP. Support for XP runs out in 2014. The last time I bought a software version upgrade was around 2000 or 2001 when I went from Windows ME to XP on one machine.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 11:09:23 PM »

You bought a software upgrade when you bought the two new machines. No free lunch.

We're not talking about updates to an existing system, we talking about a new OS. Two different things.
John K5PRO

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 02:57:15 AM »

At work (contractors to the gov't), we are not allowed to even order Vista, it is scrubbed from new PCs and replaced with XP Pro w/SP3. We have to pay extra for that. They do automatic updates on PC's at least twice a month now, for security. Mac updates about 4-5 times a year on average, without needing IT personnel to do it for us. Now this is, mind you, a network with thousands of users; the IT people don't trust PC owners to do it themselves. And they don't trust Microsoft to do it automatically, can you imagine that? I have been a PC user since the first 8088 4.7 Mhz machines with DOS. I got my first MAC at work in the 1990s and have used them since. I kept both flavors running until past month. The PC is getting ditched, as it is far too much of a liability anymore, not to mention that it is getting patches sent to it from IT every two weeks. I wonder if 7 will be as problematic? 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015