The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:08:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WRL Globe Scout 680A  (Read 3577 times)
KK4RF

« on: August 20, 2009, 03:56:10 PM »

Gentlemen:
     Anybody currently operating the old Globe Scout 680A on AM? I am currently trying to trouble-shoot and repair multiple problems I'm finding on a 25 dollar hamfest special. There are a bunch of resistors that are way off their stated values. I'm trying to replace the bad ones. Have already changed some of the electrolytics. I'm hoping to have it on the air in the next 1-2 months. I was just wondering if a properly-functioning 680A actually sounds good. Any comments  would be appreciated. Also, what would be the best microphone for this little radio? I've ordered a couple of crystals for 3880 and 3885 and that's where I intend to use it. Thanks to all.
             ---Marty, KK4RF---
W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 05:24:12 PM »

Hi Marty, I have Globe Scout 680 I run on Am occasionally,
It is stock and sounds ok, not hi-fi, not fully modulated, but It's hard to get more than 80 percent
modulation out of the class A heising modulator. You should use high impedance
microphone with it, a crystal mic like D104.

Well 25 bucks not a bad price, and you have fun rig to operate, Hope to
hear it on soon. GL, Chuck

BTW, years ago I had another 680, and for kicks decided to externally modulate it with
a homebrew 4-400 modulator, BC iron, well unfortunately the little cheapo recieving type
plate tuning cap didn't have the spacing for extra audio peak voltage, and kept arcing over.....   Embarrassed
KK4RF

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 01:19:26 PM »

Chuck,
     Thanks for the comments on your 680 rigs. For me it's fun just to see if I can get an old rig to actually put out a respectable signal. It seems to work OK into a dummy load right now. I going to try next week to see if I can hook an audio oscillator into the microphone input and then see what it looks like on my old O'scope on the output from the 6146. Presently the RF stages seem to put out power pretty well. The real test  will be putting it on the air. Hopefully the audio won't sound too bad. I'll let you know. Thanks again.
                     ---Marty, KK4RF---
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015