The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:00:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cut your ARRL membership cost in half, with QEX only, no QST Yea !  (Read 108119 times)
K1DEU
« on: July 13, 2009, 02:43:51 PM »

I just signed up for another 3 year subscription with the ARRL, but a little differently. Normally they get $111 for a normal 3 year membership with a forced QST subscription, and QEX would be $24 additional per year charge!

I first told them at 1-888-277-5289 that;

I would only re-new if I could subscribe to QEX their bi-monthly highly technical rag without QST, which I have not opened for 8 months.

After a bit of friendly White light exchange.

The subscription supervisor at Newington stated, well I can put you down for a Blind subscription for 3 years for $24 dollars with only a QEX three year subscription for $36 more. To make sure it was legitimate, I quickly stated my eyesight is 20/15 and she said, it doesn't matter, for this way you receive election membership notices.

Yes I asked if I could distribute this to other Radio Amateurs. She hesitated but then quietly agreed that its better to have a (blind) member with QEX than No member at all!  QST to u  and 73 , John K1DEU since 1956
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 03:25:44 PM »

"blind" membership?  Vas is das?

So you are paying $16 per year including QEX?
K1DEU
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 03:40:35 PM »

I subscribed for three years to QEX and membership for approximately half the normal membership + QST price and anyone else may also for shorter periods.  Blind membership is no QST or QEX but all other privileges? such as web access eligible President, SCM and other election ballot info...  And we do not have to be sightless !!! John

PS plus I want to see QEX publish Steve, WA1QIX's Class E Gizmo's
W4EWH

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 04:03:09 PM »

So there you go one year blind subscription with QEX is 8+8.

Didn't they tell you that's only for the Braille edition?

W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
ka3zlr
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 04:28:25 PM »

Welp,..They need to get the Dollar Figure up, That's a Given, Creative Memberships.....LOL......

Jack.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 05:09:39 PM »

John,
Download Nov. 2005 for my class e final and a bit after that N9NEO did a cool PDM modulator. That is a cheap rate. I think I paid more that that for QEX alone.
I am building my HPSDR rig with the the supplied chassis. Thinking of doing an article with my set up. Almost done drilling and blasting and should start wiring this week.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 05:37:12 PM »

Yeah...

QEX is $24/yr for arrll members.

Much too expensive for what little you get...
Haven't seen an article that interests me in the past year or more.
I've cancelled my subscription.

Along with the ARrL  membership...

I'd rather see them on the newsstand, and could buy the ones I wanted.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 06:01:23 PM »

I just signed up for another 3 year subscription with the ARRL, but a little differently. Normally they get $111 for a normal 3 year membership with a forced QST subscription, and QEX would be $8 additional per year charge!

I don't understand the last part of your statement. A yearly member subscription to QEX is $24. Non member is $36. I don't understand the $8 additional.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1DEU
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 11:37:42 PM »

Thanks Pete, CWA I corrected the prices. Total remains at almost half the member + QST price. It was rather difficult but necessary (to help many) to put ARRL board policy in a fair but very different context/light in a 21 minute phone call with two special ladies at ARRL subscription services.

Frank, GFZ I will look. Sadly its been many years since I subscribed to both QST and QEX and was quite bored with QST only. We can read QST's from 5 years back anytime online as a member as there has been an occasional interesting article. Regards John, K1DEU

KF1Z

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 11:59:58 PM »

We can read QST's from 5 years back anytime online as a member as there has been an occasional interesting article. Regards John, K1DEU

Yes, and of course if you dig in the right spot, you can download all of QEX, and QST for zip.

It's all out there for the taking.

I suppose it depends on how dear you hold copyright laws, and rights, as to whether you would feel "right" in downloading them without paying.

K1DEU
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 07:06:36 AM »

Copyright ? Well I always felt that about 3 years would be correct and fair allowing the author and their animal (genetic) ancestors some initial income. But not their grand children 18-21 years later. For we all meditate about new/different designs, music or any methodology. Remember that short nap or longer sleep we had and upon awaking we scramble for the pencil to quickly write down the new solution/answer as we return to this physical dimension. Well like it or not we got the idea by contacting some we know and many we do not know in the entire universe. Our personal animal pride wants the credit to be rich and famous which does not impress me. This is why I do not sell anything or accept donations on my web site or ever ask or state that I have copyright. For the Universe (Good Karma) takes care of me and my parents. My dad just turned 102 0n July 8th and my mom is 96 and I'm going grocery shopping at Price Rite, my favorite Grocery Store for them who live 30 minutes away in their old 1952 house in Williamstown, Mass.
        Regards John, K1DEU Hartwellville Vermont in the mailing address of Stamford, Vermont
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 06:42:18 PM »

I must be the only one on here who is an ARRL LM  : |

Rob K5UJ

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W1UJR
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 06:54:40 PM »

Rob K5UJ

Nope, I am as well Rob.  Wink
I don't agree with all they do, or perhaps I should say, don't do, but the League is the only organized voice
the government seems to listen to when it comes to the amateur service.
Besides, my AARA/K1MAN fan club membership ran out, and I see they are aren't currently renewing.  Grin

John, I must confess, I am a little surprised.
I didn't realize that you were blind, wonder how in the world can you author
those websites of yours with your "blind" condition.
Wonder if that's ethical and fair to other members who pay the full price?

Of course, you can always pay the full shot, and then donate your copy
of QST to the local library, that's both ethical and doing a good turn for
others who might become interested in the hobby.
See what the "white light" has to say about that concept.
Tell you what John, if you sign up for a proper three year ARRL membership,
and promise to donate your QST copy to the local library,
I'll even pay for your first year's membership fee.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 07:30:06 PM »

I've been a Life Member for over 30 years.

KF1Z

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 07:34:09 PM »

Rob K5UJ

John, I must confess, I am a little surprised.
I didn't realize that you were blind, wonder how in the world can you author
those websites of yours with your "blind" condition.
Wonder if that's ethical and fair to other members who pay the full price?

Bruce,
Maybe you missed a line in his origional post....

The ARRL subscription Supervisor OFFERED him that rate.

He did not ASK for it, or CLAIM that he was blind.

Mayb John isn't the one with the ethical dilema, but perhaps the person in Newington.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 07:47:28 PM »

Thanks Pete, CWA I corrected the prices. Total remains at almost half the member + QST price. It was rather difficult but necessary (to help many) to put ARRL board policy in a fair but very different context/light in a 21 minute phone call with two special ladies at ARRL subscription services.

Frank, GFZ I will look. Sadly its been many years since I subscribed to both QST and QEX and was quite bored with QST only. We can read QST's from 5 years back anytime online as a member as there has been an occasional interesting article. Regards John, K1DEU

Can you clarify what you said in your fifth paragraph of your original(first) post:
"The subscription supervisor at Newington stated, well I can put you down for a Blind subscription for 3 years for $24 dollars with only a QEX three year subscription for $36 more. To make sure it was legitimate, I quickly stated my eyesight is 20/15 and she said, it doesn't matter, for this way you receive election membership notices."

Here are the QEX member and non-member rates:
https://www.arrl.org/forms/qexsub.html
Member rate is $72 for three years.

K1DEU
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 08:26:19 PM »

Well I have supported Ham Radio perhaps a different way, but not with Emperor Caesar's Gold. Hi Irb !

In this local Berkshire county area I taught free, open to all the public, Ham radio classes for more than 3 years total.

In my favorite later Novice preparation classes I explained how a person could speak into a microphonium, modulate a carrier and be received by a person using an AM receiver. Next I explained the math of this setup using the transmit and receiver mixer teaching (sum, difference and 2 originals) how a one kilocycle whistle transmitted is heard as the same exact whistle in the receiver audio. This was not difficult to teach to beginners at all, shame to the ARRL for not believing in Johhny Novices. They remind me of churches implying, we are too stupid to learn.

On and on it progressed into a simple but full understanding of a Single Sideband single conversion, filter heterodyne transmitter to  a matching SSB single conversion heterodyne filter receiver. Whoops I did not exactly use the material supplied by the ARRL to me an ARRL member. Who to me mainly wanted non electronic/radio inclined ops. I had so many show up for free classes that I had to ask a friend Bruce, WA7CSL to also hold free classes. In my classes alone i guided over 230 to successfully achieve their Novice or Technician Class tickets. Less than 5 per cent failed but 3 percent who failed went on to pass and help teach the second wave of classes.

One of my dearest contacts was early mornings with W2UJR on 160 AM around 5:30 AM, he and I had similar life paths knowing that the greatest reward was to un-conditionally love and help all, even those we dis-respected and those who sprayed their money and business/government position around. Sometimes Dale, KW1I joined in. W2UJR definitely knew and carried White Light which is also know as un-conditional love for all Humankind !  So may we all continue to pass on our great hobby to any who ask for help freely. 73  John
K1DEU
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 08:47:48 PM »

Pete at an early point in our conversation she pointed out that, as she sits on board meetings, that the directors want all members to know about prospective elections by mail. At first she thought that only QST would inform we voters properly. She later noticed that the blind also receive election membership notices without a QST magazine. Then eventually she stated if I put you down as a Blind member that will fulfill the majority directors intent. And then I checked to make sure She knew I was not sightless and then subscribed.  Whew, you are very fussy Pete. 73  John   

And Yes, they as all in the world have non published special rates for those who desire to pay for QEX and other things for more than 1 year in advance. Heck I am one of the few that subscribed to the Dish Network for 1 year in advance.  I studied the ARRL published rates before calling, so what. What is published is not set in stone for any subscription anywhere in the World, especially if we pay ahead. To me its a normal part of an possible subscription to state I am not renewing Unless;
W1UJR
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 10:42:29 PM »

Well I have supported Ham Radio perhaps a different way, but not with Emperor Caesar's Gold. Hi Irb !

In this local Berkshire county area I taught free, open to all the public, Ham radio classes for more than 3 years total.<snip>

All that is fine John, but it in no way excuses taking advantage of a program intended to offered only to the visually impaired.

So the question remains, are you going to take me up on my offer, buy an honest 3 year membership, and donate your QSTs to the local library? Remember, I'll pay for the first year.

Otherwise you are cheating, and boasting about doing so, from those who do support the League in an honest manner, and pay their full membership dues. I don't see any light, white or other color, in that action.  Sad

BTW, I knew W2UJR very well, he was my near neighbor, mentor, Elmer and friend. He was indeed quite a remarkable man, and I miss him dearly. You might be interested to know that he was also a full dues paying ARRL member.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 12:01:09 AM »

Pete at an early point in our conversation she pointed out that, as she sits on board meetings, that the directors want all members to know about prospective elections by mail. At first she thought that only QST would inform we voters properly. She later noticed that the blind also receive election membership notices without a QST magazine. Then eventually she stated if I put you down as a Blind member that will fulfill the majority directors intent. And then I checked to make sure She knew I was not sightless and then subscribed.  Whew, you are very fussy Pete. 73  John   

And Yes, they as all in the world have non published special rates for those who desire to pay for QEX and other things for more than 1 year in advance. Heck I am one of the few that subscribed to the Dish Network for 1 year in advance.  I studied the ARRL published rates before calling, so what. What is published is not set in stone for any subscription anywhere in the World, especially if we pay ahead. To me its a normal part of an possible subscription to state I am not renewing Unless;

John, I'm not questioning the "blind" deal on membership. I'm curious on the QEX deal. As advertised, for members, one year is $24; two years is $48; and three years is $72. You indicated, if I'm reading it correctly, subscription supervisor quoted you a "special deal" of $36 for three years of QEX, (which is 1/2 of the price of the currently posted subscription price for three years) for renewing your membership (blind or otherwise). I'm wondering if this special deal would apply to all the membership who presently don't get QEX.

Now, Switching Gears -
According to the current ARRL By-Laws:
Dues

4. The dues of Members shall be $39.00 annually worldwide, payable in advance. For members outside the United States, except for International members who elect not to receive QST by mail, the Executive Vice President shall assess such additional mailing costs as are consistent with the postal rates for destinations outside the United States. Members choosing to pay dues for more than one year in advance, but for no more than five years, may be entitled to lower rates as determined periodically by the Executive Vice President and as published in QST.

Further under Dues:
7. A special dues rate of 20% of the annual rate established in Bylaw 4, rounded to the nearest dollar, with all membership privileges except the receipt of QST, shall apply to any Member who meets either of the following criteria:

(a) is legally blind; or

(b) is the husband or wife, brother or sister, son or daughter, or father or mother of another member who lives at the same address and is either a Life Member or is paying dues in accordance with By-Law 4 or 5. In the event of the decease of such principal member, his or her spouse will continue to receive QST until the expiration of the current family membership.

According to your conversation with the subscription supervisor:
"The subscription supervisor at Newington stated, well I can put you down for a Blind subscription for 3 years for $24 dollars with only a QEX three year subscription for $36 more. To make sure it was legitimate, I quickly stated my eyesight is 20/15 and she said, it doesn't matter, for this way you receive election membership notices.

Yes I asked if I could distribute this to other Radio Amateurs. She hesitated but then quietly agreed that its better to have a (blind) member with QEX than No member at all!"

It seems to me, based on the current ARRL By-Laws, the subscription supervisor is in violation of the ARRL By-Laws since you obviously don't fit into either the 7(a) or 7(b) categories. While I applaud her creativeness for holding on to a member, it seems to me this opens the door to propagating what might be perceived as unethical membership and/or renewal practices.

Case in point: This practice goes on for a year and new memberships and renewals increase by 10%. As far as I know, I've never seen a breakdown of yearly membership numbers (how many full, associate, blind, family, etc.). Only total membership number is published. I would suspect advertisers look at yearly increases or decreases in membership numbers to gauge how much advertising dollars they're going to spend. But, for this 1 year 10% increase in membership, there's going to be actually less members getting QST because they either renewed or became a member under the "blind" category. This provides erroneous data to all the potential advertisers. This is not an ethical way to run any business.

Note: The ARRL Articles of Association, By-Laws, Rules and Regulations can be found here:
http://www.arrl.org/aabl.html

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 01:13:26 AM »

I suspect there would be a noticeable increase in membership numbers if they offered the choice of QEX as an alternative to QST.

They never should have branched off from QST and put the technical articles in a separate publication anyway.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 02:37:54 AM »

I suspect there would be a noticeable increase in membership numbers if they offered the choice of QEX as an alternative to QST.

They never should have branched of from QST and put the technical articles in a separate publication anyway.

It was a great business move. It's been this way for almost 30 years.

W1UJR
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 05:24:08 AM »

They never should have branched of from QST and put the technical articles in a separate publication anyway.

I agree Don, it would be a nice option, but I'd sure miss the John Dilks vintage radio column.  Wink

Not so certain it would raise the membership numbers in a meaningful manner to offset any lost ad revenue from the companies who currently place the large and colorful ads in QST. 

It is no secret that the League, like most publishers, derives a substantial amount of revenue from the advertisers in QST. QEX by nature would never command such interest and ad revenue from vendors. I'd suspect that the Icoms, Yaesus, Kenwoods and MFJs of the world would hesitate to go into a narrow interest magazine like QEX with the same ad coverage they place in QST.

I'd further suspect most QEX readers tend not to buy a great deal of commercially made radio gear, and are rather by nature builders and experimenters. Nothing wrong with that, but not exactly the big Japanese three's prime demographic group. Which is precisely why I doubt the veracity of the statement that the League is extending a special "non-blind" visually impaired discount membership, sans QST, to members. Aside from the bylaw violation which Pete wisely pointed out, such a practice would simply be cutting one's own throat, and is a prime violation of the League's fiduciary responsibility to its membership.

I do think that the League could offer QEX online, in a PDF format, at a discounted cost to members. After all, once the editing and formating of the issue are completed, the next largest cost is the publication and distribution of the paper copies. This might be something that you may want to suggest to the League, it could be downloaded off their website, or sent out each month in pdf form via email.

I've been in communication with, and invited the current League President, Joel Harrison W5ZN, to comment here on John's statements, and perhaps he might also be interested in the QEX topic, it has been a subject of frequent discussion here.
ka3zlr
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 07:21:57 AM »

I don't Know....if someone calls up there bright eyed an looking to renew, with no malice intent, and the office person lays out a deal, the prospect is or isn't aware of, they agree shake hands numbers get exchanged....The fella comes on here Happy as a Lark for his good fortune....There Ain't No Cheating...That person offered the deal to be taken....speak to that person and call them a name.....

Jack.

W5JBP
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 08:08:52 AM »

"Pete at an early point in our conversation she pointed out that, as she sits on board meetings,"

I have attended many board meetings, and the only woman from staff that is present during the meetings is Mary Hobart, which is the Development officer.

Jim
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015