The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:44:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cut your ARRL membership cost in half, with QEX only, no QST Yea !  (Read 107225 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 11:43:11 AM »

It was a great business move. It's been this way for almost 30 years.

Maybe so, but the League's profits from its publication business is not the same thing as the best interests of amateur radio.

Besides, how  could they be making much money off QEX, if the interest in technical topics by League members is so low as they claim it was, justifying the yanking of technical articles out of QST?

Coincidentally (?), the movement of amateur radio away from being a technically oriented endeavour towards becoming a "communicator's hobby", has been in a state of acceleration for about the same 30-year period.

Not so certain it would raise the membership numbers in a meaningful manner to offset any lost ad revenue from the companies who currently place the large and colorful ads in QST.

It is no secret that the League, like most publishers, derives a substantial amount of revenue from the advertisers in QST. QEX by nature would never command such interest and ad revenue from vendors. I'd suspect that the Icoms, Yaesus, Kenwoods and MFJs of the world would hesitate to go into a narrow interest magazine like QEX with the same ad coverage they place in QST.

I'd further suspect most QEX readers tend not to buy a great deal of commercially made radio gear, and are rather by nature builders and experimenters. Nothing wrong with that, but not exactly the big Japanese three's prime demographic group.

In that case, why would it cause a significant loss in ad revenue if the advertisers believed that readers opting out of QST wouldn't be buying commercial appliances anyway?

I do think that the League could offer QEX online, in a PDF format, at a discounted cost to members. After all, once the editing and formating of the issue are completed, the next largest cost is the publication and distribution of the paper copies. This might be something that you may want to suggest to the League, it could be downloaded off their website, or sent out each month in pdf form via email.

That would be a good idea, but it should be available free of charge to paying members, and include all articles, not just a select few.  Before the advent of QEX, this material appeared in QST, therefore was fully covered by the annual membership dues.

The birth of QEX is a classic example of "incredibly shrinking consumer junk", that is, veiled increases in costs of purchases, that I referred to in another discussion thread.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1DEU
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 12:18:40 PM »

The League did not extend anything officially yet ! And the lady stated she had been allowed to listen in on some board meetings (my poor reporting, Fault). My own sources tell me that this is especially true since Mr. Summer backed off to a more pure democratic form of meeting, with more women in the room and nearby! Also I am guided that membership renewal is at an all time low dropping 22%. This is not only found in the ARRL but nearly in all other minority representative group in America. (NRA, AARP, etc.)

I am hoping the ARRL will simply re-name the Blind subscription to the "Member, with out QST subscription" category.

Some of we Americans notice that many are now either laid off work, have lost unemployment and some have even lost all their retirement benefits. Not funny at all, and feels to me like long term slow financial lending/rental/laundering disaster.

Many of us have already, sadly been forced to re-adjust what we spend on extra things, including being a contributing member here!

Like it or not but when everybody is being more pragmatic we must all adjust the amounts charged for our ( non manufacturing) Service based Economy ? 73 John 

P.S. And I appreciate the freedom we are allowed here with many different opinions being expressed.
W1UJR
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 12:26:46 PM »

I do think that the League could offer QEX online, in a PDF format, at a discounted cost to members. After all, once the editing and formating of the issue are completed, the next largest cost is the publication and distribution of the paper copies. This might be something that you may want to suggest to the League, it could be downloaded off their website, or sent out each month in pdf form via email.

That would be a good idea, but it should be available free of charge to paying members, and include all articles, not just a select few.  Before the advent of QEX, this material appeared in QST, therefore was fully covered by the annual membership dues.

Good point Don. Yes, I think that would be a fine idea, I suspect that a large amount of the League's budget for QEX goes toward the costs for printing and distribution of the publication. I don't believe the author's are financially compensated, correct? The online version could be offered at a low cost, or even for free as an additional membership benefit.

Who knows, some good might come out of this yet. I'm interested to hear Joel W5ZN has to say, this is an idea time to bring up the QEX question.
ka3zlr
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »

Well the one thing that isn't going to happen is the trading in or away the Cash Cows for PDF. print Packets, That ain't happenen, I don't care who comes on here in Representative Form If it so Happens...We been down this road before....It's always the same old same old...

Jack.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 01:49:07 PM »

"Pete at an early point in our conversation she pointed out that, as she sits on board meetings,"

I have attended many board meetings, and the only woman from staff that is present during the meetings is Mary Hobart, which is the Development officer.

Jim

In looking over the January 2009 BoD meeting attendance list, that's still true.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 02:34:38 PM »

It was a great business move. It's been this way for almost 30 years.

Maybe so, but the League's profits from its publication business is not the same thing as the best interests of amateur radio.

Besides, how  could they be making much money off QEX, if the interest in technical topics by League members is so low as they claim it was, justifying the yanking of technical articles out of QST?

Coincidentally (?), the movement of amateur radio away from being a technically oriented endeavour towards becoming a "communicator's hobby", has been in a state of acceleration for about the same 30-year period.

I would question what are "the best interests of amateur radio" versus "the best interests of the current amateur radio population" and/or "the best interests of the ARRL membership". Like it or not, besides serving their membership, there is a business to be run and I'm sure the staff plays a constant balancing act to try and ensure everyone is accommodated within some reasonable and logical set of strategic plans.

It seems to me I remember seeing a subscription number for QEX several years ago, but don't remember what it was. Generally, once a year, normally in an end of the year issue, they publish total magazines printed, total distributed, etc. and generally in a font so small it requires a good magnifying glass to read it. Also remember that unlike QST, which is the member's monthly journal, QEX subscriptions can be sold to non-members. You don't even need an amateur license to receive QEX.

Amateur radio has always been evolving. Back in the 40's, 50's and 60's, many kids wanted to become engineers. The dawn of the Sputnik era, I believe, even accelerated going down that road. By the late 70's and 80's, computer costs were coming way down and computers were finding their way into homes and amateur radio stations. In today's world, you build a box with some electronics for a ham radio task. Write some software to make it do something. When you want the box to do something else, you don't build a new box, you write new software. QEX targets those people who want build unique boxes, unique software, developing or expanding on theoretical type ideas, and the sharing of those types of ideas. I would classify the QEX membership as a technically savvy "specialty group" that is constantly moving forward. Some may not know this, but Flex Radio was born on a series of QEX articles back in 2002/2003.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2009, 03:01:07 PM »

The League did not extend anything officially yet ! And the lady stated she had been allowed to listen in on some board meetings (my poor reporting, Fault). My own sources tell me that this is especially true since Mr. Summer backed off to a more pure democratic form of meeting, with more women in the room and nearby! Also I am guided that membership renewal is at an all time low dropping 22%. This is not only found in the ARRL but nearly in all other minority representative group in America. (NRA, AARP, etc.)

I am hoping the ARRL will simply re-name the Blind subscription to the "Member, with out QST subscription" category.

It's interesting that on the membership application, besides the one, two, and three years rates that I show in the table below, there is this line:
"US Memberships include $15 per year for subscription to QST. Dues are subject to change without notice and are non-refundable."

1 Year 2 Years 3 Years
Regular    $39   $76     $111    Monthly QST via standard mail for US members
Canada    $49    $93    $132    Monthly QST via standard mail for Canadian members
Intl QST   $62    $118   $167    Monthly QST via air mail for international members
Intl CD     $39   $76     $111    Annual CD-ROM (QST, NCJ and QEX) for international members
Blind        $8     $16     $24     No QST delivery, all other member benefits apply
Family      $8     $16     $24     Reside at the same address as the primary member, no additional
                                           QST. Membership dates must correspond with primary member

So, it seems to me, if current members are balking at renewals, with receiving QST as the issue, or new potential members, who have no interest in receiving QST, are not signing up, then the ARRL might want to consider changing its membership offerings.

Just add three new catagories: Regular (No QST), Canada (No QST), Intl (No QST). Subtract out the $15 charge for QST that's stated on the membership form, that's included in the current membership charge, for each year.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2009, 03:12:21 PM »

Good point Don. Yes, I think that would be a fine idea, I suspect that a large amount of the League's budget for QEX goes toward the costs for printing and distribution of the publication. I don't believe the author's are financially compensated, correct? The online version could be offered at a low cost, or even for free as an additional membership benefit.

Who knows, some good might come out of this yet. I'm interested to hear Joel W5ZN has to say, this is an idea time to bring up the QEX question.

QEX writer compensation:
"Authors are compensated for published articles at the rate of $50.00 per published page or part thereof. The number of magazine pages your article occupies depends on such factors as the number of illustrations, equations, and the space restrictions of each issue. Payment is made on publication. No compensation is given for published letters. ARRL and IARU officials, including officers, directors and vice directors, as well as officials of IARU member societies, are not eligible for compensation."

The problem with electronic files (PDF's) is that once they're offered for download as a fee or additional member benefit, there's no stopping further distribution to any one else by the initial receivers of the download.

ka3zlr
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 04:00:34 PM »

Well Done Pete, as always on all the last postings I agree and support your Points, and I knew the PDF thing is a No No... it would be Nice, But, Not yet not today they're not ready or even looking at this on the horizon.

Jack.
W1UJR
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »

QEX writer compensation:
"Authors are compensated for published articles at the rate of $50.00 per published page or part thereof. The number of magazine pages your article occupies depends on such factors as the number of illustrations, equations, and the space restrictions of each issue. Payment is made on publication. No compensation is given for published letters. ARRL and IARU officials, including officers, directors and vice directors, as well as officials of IARU member societies, are not eligible for compensation."

The problem with electronic files (PDF's) is that once they're offered for download as a fee or additional member benefit, there's no stopping further distribution to any one else by the initial receivers of the download.

Ah, good to know Pete, guess I shouldn't quit my day job and write for the League?  Wink
Still, the rate is reasonable for such a publication, makes sense and is sure not breaking the League's piggy bank.

You're quite correct on the ability to share electronic files, but isn't that same with the QST scans the League is currently offering to members online? A member could download those, and share them with friends as well. Admittedly the images of old QSTs may not hold the broad appeal of a publication like QEX. Then again, the League could also limit  online QEX to view and print only, no download, that would solve the issue.

Oh well, as soon as my consulting fee comes in the mail, I'll figure it all out for them.  Wink
In the meantime we can only hope.
ka3zlr
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2009, 04:38:01 PM »

Yea well maybe More and Creative Membership entrance would be the key here and very easily accomplished on their end if we want to make some changes, be a good place to start, freshen up the entrance and renewal area, be a good move. Offer some other choices...other ideas...it's 2009 get with today man. Cheesy

No Charge.

Jack.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2009, 05:26:42 PM »

QEX writer compensation:

Ah, good to know Pete, guess I shouldn't quit my day job and write for the League?  Wink
Still, the rate is reasonable for such a publication, makes sense and is sure not breaking the League's piggy bank.

You're quite correct on the ability to share electronic files, but isn't that same with the QST scans the League is currently offering to members online? A member could download those, and share them with friends as well. Admittedly the images of old QSTs may not hold the broad appeal of a publication like QEX. Then again, the League could also limit  online QEX to view and print only, no download, that would solve the issue.

Oh well, as soon as my consulting fee comes in the mail, I'll figure it all out for them.  Wink
In the meantime we can only hope.

On the ARRL Archive Page, it says:
ARRL Members can access the QST magazine archive online, from December 1915 through December 2005. Archive results are intended for personal use only, and may not be freely distributed or copied.

I believe Adobe now has the ability to watermark any page that is scanned and made into a PDF. Naturally, during the initial scan process, you couldn't enter a specific watermark designation, but you probably could designate a blank watermark area. When a member accesses a particular PDF file to review, their call letters are embedded (probably with some software running in the background that can draw in the member's info) into the watermark area. If they download and save the file, the member's info (call letters?) become a permanent record on each sheet. It might help curtail any additional distribution of the file after it's downloaded.

Note to Bruce: Joel might be traveling today. The  BoD meeting is July 17-18 and there are several meetings on July 16.

W1UJR
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 05:50:53 PM »

Note to Bruce: Joel might be traveling today. The  BoD meeting is July 17-18 and there are several meetings on July 16.

Ok, thanks for that info Pete. I spoke with him via email late last night, and Mary and I exchanged emails this morning.
I'll be interested in the outcome of this discussion, it may very well bring about some additional value to members and potential members.

Cheers,
Bruce
W5JBP
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2009, 07:13:01 PM »

"ARRL had 155,639 members by the June month end, exceeding our net growth goal for the month.  We are particularly pleased with the continuing growth trend we have enjoyed for the last 12 months.  Membership is up 1,012 members the year."

I have to ask, the question, where is the 22% drop?

The above is a clip and paste from data that I am still previ too..

Jim
K1DEU
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2009, 09:23:37 PM »

Dear Friends; When I meditate I.E. Pulling Akashic records (also known as Time Traveling) forward or back in time, I am guided that the projected ARRL subscription could be 22 to 27% higher than current, if some simple changes are formally made. For many more Americans are now at home out of normal working hours and to enjoy their sudden free time are taking up their hobby actively for the first time in several years or more.

Well Its interesting that Mark Twain wags his tongue at me according to one of my special friends who just recently apologized to me for slandering my fiancée who was a Nun in France. Actually when we Time Travel we can easily speak to Mark Twain and Billions more including some of my favorite Americans like George Washington, Thomas Payne and Ben Franklin.

I believe that meditation is our most important resource. For without it we will never know the truth, which is rarely written or presented in fair context...  May God bless all of us.
73 John, K1DEU
W1UJR
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2009, 09:40:37 PM »

Yes, I forgot about the old Akashic record trick, foolish me.   Wink

John, enjoy, I always get a kick out of chatting with you.
I think you'll find the Truth is really much simpler than you think my friend.
Take a look at John 14:6 the next time you have the "light" on.
Keep seeking, you'll find it.

Now about that three year membership offer....
K1DEU
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2009, 09:46:18 PM »

Dear W1UJR;

Frankly I would be embarrassed to donate my last 8 QST's to any library for to me they would show a prospective radio amateur that our hobby is mostly about buying expensive already built appliance radios. Some costing thousands of dollars!

Many of the prospective hams that took my and Bruce, WA7CSL's  free classes became interested by Myself speaking about the Fun of Ham Radio at Several Coffee Break clubs (CB clubs) in person by invitation. And both Bruce and I became active on CB in the local area. Needless to report there were many slandering both Bruce and I talking down ham radio. But with time eventually the local CB head guru a great enemy to adding ham radio, Dick Goodman in 6 years became the Local Ham Radio Club President of NOBARC.
73 John

PS; when it comes to reading a book heavily edited by Roman Emperor Constantine II
may we all meditate on the context to seek the truth.

BTW: I respect the first Emperor Constantine of Gaul (France), Portugal and Spain but not the second !
ka3zlr
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2009, 10:15:50 PM »

Hi John Ya know awhile back I took a handful of ER's down to my barber, of course that's when i needed one...LOL...now the Chemo keeps me free of growth for awhile...

Anyhow I stopped down to see John to mow off what growth was left on me, and I noticed the little books were gone, an I asked John I said hey bud where'd the books go John .."He said Jack those things are a hit down here you have anymore"....to which I said heck ya bundles.....Imagine that and no mention about a coupla QST's I dropped off there at times...still there... Shocked

Jack.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2009, 11:53:24 PM »

Frankly I would be embarrassed to donate my last 8 QST's to any library for to me they would show a prospective radio amateur that our hobby is mostly about buying expensive already built appliance radios. Some costing thousands of dollars!

And why would they be interested in that, when some of the latest hi-tech internet gizmos can be had for a hundred bucks or two.  And you don't even have to take a test or get a licence to use them.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2009, 03:48:43 AM »

Dear W1UJR;

73 John

Many new hams back in the "good old days" brought complete ready-made transmitters and receivers from their local ham appliance store which, in many cases, were not cheap. Plus, even people with money and means, go to the library. Also, most major ham retailers, carry a wide assortment of used/refurbished gear for sale.

K1DEU
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2009, 11:20:55 AM »

Some of You people are really something. I do not enjoy nit-picking others apart. I do not force others to become humble and meditate/embrace the entire Universe/Creation. I only suggest this.

When people ask about ham radio in this area (or in the library or school) they are given my telephone # and I guide them in person or on the phone about what to do. Is this unusual or too personal? Oh dear. Do you shake hands with strangers? We all should.  Can we say Love to our neighbors, enemy and strangers?

Its interesting many can only speak to me here with the impersonal keyboard but not answer my CQ on the air, or join an existing QSO. Sadly in case we did not notice, in more than New England, we trust other persons less than ever before. On 75 meter phone we can talk to someone miles away like an old friend but not someone in our local area. It used to be, that only in New England when walking down the street we should never look at a stranger and smile.

Sadly now day’s New England Arctic cold personalities have spread throughout America.

I do not push and shove others towards my beliefs about where we come from, what our purpose is here now and into the future. My own beliefs have progressively changed since I was conditioned by Schools and my Government. 
     When I arrived in Udorn Thani, Thailand in 1964, 5 miles from the border of Laos which was the Mekong River,  it took me about 3 months to settle in and discover that I was not there to protect my parents, grandparents and friends back home from a Communist take over of America. But I was there to defoliate Thailand, Laos and Cambodia with Agent Orange, which has a life like nuclear waste. And not just where hi-voltage transmission lines run either. Yes ignorance is very alive and likely if I was not in several of our foreign wars where they were occurring I would still be afraid and not properly Love people who have different ethnic appearance and customs than we do. Do you dare ask me why the French tried to hang on to their Colony called Vietnam until their bloody defeat ? And why we Americans next tried to do what the French failed at? Sadly both John Kennedy and I know, and the answer is simple.
  John Shaw, K1DEU 
 One of my three web sites  http://www.hamelectronics.com/
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2009, 09:29:47 PM »

I do not force others to become humble and meditate/embrace the entire Universe/Creation.

Who are you to claim such even exist? May I suggest you meditate further.
K1DEU
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2009, 10:42:48 AM »

Aye  Aye Steve my fellow mediator who formally trains self and others in transcendental ways. But many think I meditate  or am stupefied/out of the Animal body 24/7 already !  Thank God for Free Will for all humankind. 73  John
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »

It's good to keep others guessing. Watch out for the reckless drivers on the transcendental highway.   Wink
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2009, 07:17:33 PM »

" It's good to keep others guessing. "                       

There you go, man
      Keep as cool as you can
      Face piles of trials with smiles
      It riles them to believe
      That you perceive
      The web they weave

klc

What? Me worry?