The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:11:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Incredibly Shrinking Consumer Junk  (Read 25164 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: July 11, 2009, 09:14:57 PM »

Ever noticed how many products have discretely been reduced in size lately?  For example, half-gallons of ice cream are now more like 3 pints, but of course the price is still the same if not more than the old larger size.

About a year ago I went to buy a sheet of 1/2" plywood.  I noticed that the size was marked: 15/32", approximately 1/2".  For many years a 2X4 has been 1 1/2" X 3 1/2" and even that size is being shaved down.  Whenever I am working on a long term building or house repair project and let it slide for a while, maybe over the winter, and return to it the following summer, if I need more material such as moulding, inevitably the size has been slightly reduced so that I have to shave and shim to get the new piece to match what I bought the year before.

To top it all off to-day, I got a flyer in the mail from HH Gregg, with ads for flat screen TV's.  Up to now, they have advertised 32", 42", 58", etc sizes.  The flyer that just came featured 32" Class (31.5" Diagonal) and 42" Class (41.6" Diagonal) sizes.

I thought about going to buy one of the 32" class TV's which sell for $499.97, and handing them $492 and tell them I'm paying with 499-class dollars.

But I decided I better not do that.  I'm afraid they might actually take the $492, and I don't need the damned thing.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 10:53:21 PM »

Don,
Lumber prices have come up a bit since Winter but still very low. Good time to buy wire also. I need to frame a second bathroom in the new place and have been collecting materials. Just got a great deal on hardwood flooring. yea, ice cream scam. I like a tall 3/4 bowl of ice cream after working all day because beer or wine will knock me out.
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 09:26:28 AM »

Don,

Back in the 70's when the price of raw sugar suddenly increased in price one of the major candy companies shrunk the size of their bars rather than increase the price.  Coupled with the size decrease the wrapper proudly stated, "new and improved".   In response to this the FTC issued a trade regulation stating that for product packaging to contain the text "new and improved" it must have changed significantly and improved in a manner that would be beneficial to the typical buyer.  Charging the same for less did not meet that standard.

All companies have long been playing the "what can we take out that the consumer won't notice game" and auto manufacturers have been in the forefront.  Items like consumer convenience (extended sun visors), parts of the interior lighting, sound insulating materials, etc. have all been fair game for all of the global manufacturers.  On the energy side of things I have heard there has been discussion but probably no practical action on BTU content guidelines for a gallon of gas or diesel to discourage any "doctoring" of the product to cut costs.  Of course the EPA does its own damage, the fairly recent change to ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel) apparently reduced the energy content per gallon resulting in lower mileage. 

Of course we are the prime example with AM  Wink  A full gallon on AM is certainly a smaller gallon than it was prior to the PEP output ruling.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 09:52:45 AM »

Back when I was in college I worked for Morton's Food Company a direct competitor for Lay's.  I learned to pay attention to the size of the package of potato chips from that experience.

Later in college one of my classes required me to do research on products and the value for the price and how to advertise them.  What happens is there is a limit to size that is noticeable to the consumer and if you go above that or below it, they stop buying your product. 

For instance potato chips were, at that time 16 oz.  When prices started to climb they reduced them to 15 oz. but kept the price the same.  Over the years they played that game until today the price is about, 3 dollars but the size has been reduced to 12 oz.

Content and size of consumer goods is a good way to determine if inflation is around.  Have you noticed the width of your toilet paper is ~ 1/2 less?

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 02:02:17 PM »

One of my favorite soaps to use was Coast soap.  Coast was a Proctor and Gamble product. 2 or 3 years ago it was bought by Dial Corp.  For the first year or so the soap didn't change. Then the formula to make it changed and it didn't smell as good or lather up as well. A year after that the shape of the bar changed so it went from a 5oz. bar to a 4oz but the size of the foot print didn't change.   So what Dial did in an attempt to fool the consumer, was to carve 1 oz. out of the middle so it was a shallow U shape. It didn't look or feel like your standard bar of soap.  So I quit buying the Dial version. 

I still use the original whenever I can find it.  I found someone on Epay a few months back selling 150 bars of the original brand. The obsessive compulsive side of me got the better of me so with nearly 200 bars of soap I now have at least a 12 or so year supply.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 02:53:29 PM »

On the energy side of things I have heard there has been discussion but probably no practical action on BTU content guidelines for a gallon of gas or diesel to discourage any "doctoring" of the product to cut costs.  Of course the EPA does its own damage, the fairly recent change to ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel) apparently reduced the energy content per gallon resulting in lower mileage. 

I have noticed the gasoline I have bought lately, which used to be reddish orange, has been a yellowish green; looks more like urine or anti-freeze. You might not remark this when filling a car, but it is obvious when filling a lawn mower from a 5-gallon can.

Has anyone else noticed this, and know any story behind the change?

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
ka3zlr
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 03:12:36 PM »

Summer Blend ..

Jack.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 03:22:32 PM »

Gas has a different smell to it also.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 04:18:36 PM »

Since when have they been color-coding it?  I think they have made summer blends for many years, but it was always reddish orange, regardless. 

- - -
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 04:49:14 PM »

I remember when real gas was purple
ka3zlr
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 05:26:46 PM »

Well,..with the changes that gas and diesel have been going through we're lucky it ain't blue..I remember when Real Diesel had a Lubrication factor to it..Now it has None Zero, Striped of all the Goodies same with Gas and so goes the Power Factors.

This isn't Gasoline no more. not like what alot us of knew. 

Jack.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 05:41:05 PM »

Yeah cant find Platformate anymore...

I just go ping ping ping up the hill.

klc

What? Me worry?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 12:49:46 AM »

to compensate for the lack of lubricity in today's diesel, put a quart (not a liter dang it, a quart) of non detergent 30 weight motor oil in every 50 gallons.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 07:16:30 AM »

Don said:
I have noticed the gasoline I have bought lately, which used to be reddish orange, has been a yellowish green; looks more like urine or anti-freeze.

I guess that changed moreso since they outlawed MTBE and replaced it with ethanol. I'm down here in Myrtle Beach and have noticed that all the pumps say "10% ethanol" on them as opposed to up in PA where it is 5%.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 12:24:51 PM »

Maybe they dye it green to convince the public that their product produces "green energy".   Grin

Kind of like greasy pork that is touted as "the other white meat".

- - -
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 12:41:53 PM »

Kind of like greasy pork that is touted as "the other white meat".

Actually, the problem with pork today is that it is NOT greasy -- has too little fat content.  Hormones, genetic engineering, diet, whatever it is, has resulted in a "modern" pork product that is largely dry, lacking in fat, flavorless, and hard to chew.  But it is generally "lean".

I long for the "good old says" when pork actually had fat and flavor (since fat IS the source of flavor).  It's supposed to.  It's PORK for goodness sake :-)

Chicken, heaven help you if you eat most of the bloated hormone enriched 'white meat' deep fried in FAT , loaded with water (which bulks it up nicely and makes it look BIG), and FAT.  Chickens DIE because they can't support the weight of their breast meat (although I know many of you, like I am, are fanciers of "breast meat".  "Flavor" mostly comes from the massive amounts of salt that's injected with the water.  Or the big honking yellow FAT globs and FAT laced coating graciously provided by KFC, in addition to all the other "healthy" stuff.

Give me a good veal rib chop any day :-)

Grant/NQ5T
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 02:03:01 PM »

Or lamb or goat meat.  But I can't stomach deer meat unless it is seasoned to oblivion.

When I was a kid my grandmother raised chickens that ran outside loose; they weren't even fenced.  I loved the taste of the grass/insect fed chicken, fried in lard.  But the factory produced stuff from the supermarket to-day is barely more palatable to me than is venison.

I love breast meat that is not chicken.   Cool

- - -
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 02:09:33 PM »

Be healthy.

* lard.jpg (90.3 KB, 300x535 - viewed 500 times.)

What? Me worry?
K3ZS

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 02:14:14 PM »

Be healthy.
Some locally made potato chips in PA used to be made with lard.   Most of them have switched to something else, they may be healthier but don't taste as good (to me anyway).    I used to charcoal broil marinated pork chops, they were delicious.    Now when you do it, they are all dried out and have no flavor.    I don't eat the chips and pork chops anymore.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 02:25:27 PM »

I wipe olive oil on the chops, season,  and then grill 'em... 

klc

* peta.gif (66.28 KB, 864x498 - viewed 459 times.)

What? Me worry?
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 03:44:43 PM »

When I was a kid my grandmother raised chickens that ran outside loose; they weren't even fenced.  I loved the taste of the grass/insect fed chicken, fried in lard.  But the factory produced stuff from the supermarket to-day is barely more palatable to me than is venison.

I love breast meat that is not chicken.   Cool

Have you bought what is called "chicken tenders" at the grocery store?  It is a package of several strips of breast meat that has been cut so that it looks like the  chicken fingers you get in C stores or some restaurants.  We buy a package of them from time to time and they are slimy to the touch.  I don't know if the slime is a preservative or if the meat is bordering on old.  We wash them before cooking and bake them in aluminum foil with olive oil and lemon pepper seasoning.  In this fashion they have some taste.
ka3zlr
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 03:56:49 PM »

If yunns seen how they, the way Chicken(s) are handled....and Smelled at the Stripper yards......LOL...Man you would run the other way....

Jack.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 05:11:14 PM »

real men add Marvel Mystery Oil
k3zrf

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 09:04:39 PM »

real men add Marvel Mystery Oil

Keeps your top end clean Frank?

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
WA1GFZ

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 12:39:16 PM »