The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:21:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Incredibly Shrinking Consumer Junk  (Read 25163 times)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 12:47:31 PM »

and olive oil keeps my bottom end clean

olive oil and garlic are the 2 essential food groups! ! ! ! !

I had spag with olive oil and garlic for supper last night. Add some romano cheeze
(the good stuff smells like dirty socks) and itz heaven.   Grin Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
ka3zlr
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 01:18:02 PM »

Or,..Olive Oil, diced Garlic pieces, diced Onions, and Perogies in a Black Skillet.... Grin

Simmer till cooked not browned...

Jack.

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 04:16:50 PM »

Gas has a different smell to it also.

It was a great smell too during the 60's

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
AF9J
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 11:10:49 PM »

Don said:
I have noticed the gasoline I have bought lately, which used to be reddish orange, has been a yellowish green; looks more like urine or anti-freeze.

I guess that changed moreso since they outlawed MTBE and replaced it with ethanol. I'm down here in Myrtle Beach and have noticed that all the pumps say "10% ethanol" on them as opposed to up in PA where it is 5%.

Oh man.  Don't even get me started on ethanol.  We've had the 10% blend here for years.  Can you say inferior gas milage with no pollution reduction (due to more gas being burned to travel the same distance as before [pre-ethanol])?   Sure you can!  I knew you could!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 08:55:39 AM »

Besides the "gasohol" blend, down here we get the "oxygenated" blend in the summer to reduce smog emissions. It seems to do a better job of reducing mileage than reducing emissions. (and to slap you in the face even more they charge more for it!)  I get NOTICABLY better mileage during the colder months when they supposedly use the normal blend.

The Slab bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 10:58:53 AM »

Oh man.  Don't even get me started on ethanol.  We've had the 10% blend here for years.  Can you say inferior gas milage with no pollution reduction (due to more gas being burned to travel the same distance as before [pre-ethanol])? 

I remember "gasohol" from the 70's.  I assume to-day's blend is about the same stuff. Wasn't the price of gasohol something like 10¢/gal higher than the others back then, with the normal price of regular circa 75¢/gal?

I also remember warnings that ethanol was corrosive to certain engine parts and tended to dissolve gaskets.  I wonder if that problem has been addressed with the engines they make and the gas they sell now.

Maybe it's part of a plan to get "clunkers" off the road, to reinforce the "cash for clunkers" program.  Limit the only available fuel to a concoction that destroys engines built before a certain year.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2009, 12:06:42 PM »

MTBE needed to go away and I don't think lead is good since we have a surplus of stupid people. When I lived in LA I tried a number of things including water injection. Ethanol works fine but I agree the price sucks.
ka3zlr
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2009, 01:19:09 PM »

All I know it's Junk Science...it was the last time too.....

Jack.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 04:03:28 PM »

With ethanol 2 things occur.  1. BTU or energy is lowered so low gas mileage.  2. Ethanol and oxygenated fuels increase the oxygen content in the exhaust.  The ECU will "see" this increased oxygen and subsequently start dumping additional fuel because it "thinks" the engine is running lean.  So both situations cause a reduction in fuel mileage.

When I was messing around with blowing hydrogen and oxygen (HHO) by electrolyzing water  last year when gas prices were beyond $4.00, unless you can dump a crap load of HHO (at least in a Ranger) mileage would drop considerably because the ECU saw the extra O2.  The key was to dump so much HHO so that the ECU or oxygen sensor was maxed out so it couldn't compensate any longer then one would see an increase in fuel mileage.  I saw up to a 12% to 15% increase in fuel mileage. I didn't push any further because the current draw was beyond 20 amps.  The caveat was it beat the crap out of the alternator.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2009, 12:33:08 AM »

Some information indicated that about 100 amps was necessary for doing the HHO thing right. Noting the site here:

http://hytechapps.com/

this guy has some data from a vehicle at that power level.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2009, 06:46:43 AM »

About the gas now. We used to bale hay each summer with an old gas powered Allis-Chalmers tractor. That thing used to have plenty of power to pull and run the baler and pull the wagon at the same time. When they started putting ethanol in the gas, we could tell because this thing's power dropped so much that it doesn't have enough power to do what it used to. We now use an old Long diesel (which was made in Romania) to bale with. And I've never smelled a diesel engine that had that strong of a smell. The old A-C was also designed to run on leaded gas, I now use that thing to run wagons in from the field and have to give it more throttle to go up the hills around here because it doesn't have power. I think there may still be some potato chips that are cooked in lard, most I think use a blend of oils. And if you eat the dark meat in the pork, it's not too bad.
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
K9ACT
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2009, 09:40:59 AM »

I long for the "good old says" when pork actually had fat and flavor (since fat IS the source of flavor).  It's supposed to.  It's PORK for goodness sake :-)

Amen.  I used to like pork but it is little better than chicken these days.

>Chicken, heaven help you if you eat most of the bloated hormone enriched 'white meat' deep fried in FAT , loaded with water (which bulks it up nicely and makes it look BIG), and FAT. 

The only eatable part of a chicken these days are the wings.  It never ceases to amaze me how gullible Americans are.  They let advertising and propaganda determine what tastes good instead of their palates. Chicken breast is the Budwiser or Wonderbread of meat.

Moving on, try to find sausage or lunch meat made without chicken or turkey.  The reprocessed garbage left over after the breasts are removed have found a home in sausage. There is only one brand of balogna or summer sausage in most delis or supermarkets still made with pork; the rest are all chicken garbage.

For an example of the extent to which I go to make poultry eatable check this out:

http://schmidling.com/turkey.htm

>Give me a good veal rib chop any day :-)

Yuch!  Lamb is/was king.  It is also becoming tasteless and by the time you read this it may not even be available in your neighborhood.

Jack

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2009, 01:53:16 PM »

When I lived in Ethiopia, I ate a  lot of goat meat.  I knew it was not factory-made, because they would kill the live goat and dress it the morning before the meal.  Part of the ritual was to slit the goat's throat and let some of the blood drip on the sill of the doorway that was the main entrance to the house.  This was supposed to keep evil spirits away.

Maybe vegetarian is the way to go.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
ka3zlr
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2009, 02:05:12 PM »

Good Old Isalys Chipped Chopped Ham....Man that's the stuff there...they don't make that down south, Great Cholesterol Fix..... Wink with helmans....

Jack.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2009, 04:50:08 PM »

Jack you need connections to New Britain CT.  Heavy duty Polish community who know how to make the best bolognas, sausages, kielbasas, etc. with the very best ingredients.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
ka3zlr
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009, 04:56:55 PM »

Jack you need connections to New Britain CT.  Heavy duty Polish community who know how to make the best bolognas, sausages, kielbasas, etc. with the very best ingredients.

Hi Bob,

LOL..I know great food up there Cheesy, I threw that in there being the mention of lunchmeats.....ah man good old chipped ham... Cheesy

Jack.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2009, 08:11:40 PM »

Good Old Isalys Chipped Chopped Ham....Man that's the stuff there...they don't make that down south, Great Cholesterol Fix..... Wink with helmans....

Jack.

The closest thing is corned beef or de-viled ham.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2009, 05:29:39 AM »

I'm glad I wasn't suffering from a hangover when I read that.

- - -
WB2YGF
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2009, 06:57:57 AM »

The closest thing is corned beef or de-viled ham.
Don't forget the commonly available chipped beef used for SOS.  My mom used to make SOS.  I don't think I have had it since I was a kid.  Need to ask the YL to make it sometime.  I dimly remember it tasted pretty good.  Cheesy

http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/hormel/HormelDriedBeef.aspx

The 1910 edition of the Manual for Army Cooks provides the following recipe, for a quantity sufficient for 60 men.

This recipe left out an important step---soaking the beef to reduce the salt content. Later recipes were creamier. See http://www.seabeecook.com/cookery/cooking/cooking_sos.htm

Ingredients
15 pounds (6.8kg) chipped beef
1 pound (450g) of fat, butter preferred
1¼ lbs (560g) of flour
2 12-oz cans of evaporated milk
1 bunch parsley
¼ oz (7g) pepper
6 quarts (6l) beef stock

Procedure
Brown the flour in the melted fat.
Dissolve the milk in the beef stock, and then add that to the pot.
Stir this together slowly to prevent lumping, and then add the beef.
Cook for a few minutes, add the parsley, and serve over toast.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Chipped_beef_on_toast
ka3zlr
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2009, 07:57:15 AM »

Good old Spam Too.... Grin Champion Sandwich maker...

* 20030820165122.jpg (23.03 KB, 380x314 - viewed 487 times.)
K3ZS

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2009, 09:12:31 AM »

There is a big difference between the good and bad.    My wife's SOS is delicious, but the stuff I had in the service made in a field kitchen was garbage.    For years I could not eat hot dogs because of getting sick from the military version.    The military version was dyed red, but you could see where they missed and it was white.     I think they made it from Mississippi fish chum.    Now I love Nathan's hot dogs.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015