The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:06:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone identify this mod transformer?  (Read 21798 times)
ke7trp
Contributing

« on: June 04, 2009, 12:30:07 AM »

Labeled "parametrics, Costa mesa CA"

TF4RX21YY part number stamped..  Also 600324

MAX WV 7000 volts
MAX ALT, 10,000FT

Intput 14,500 ohms.  Output 40 ohms.

Here are some pics of it!

THanks alot guys!  Any info would be just great.

Clark

* Photo_060309_003.jpg (350.63 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 545 times.)

* Photo_060309_004.jpg (354.05 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 520 times.)
KA1ZGC
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 08:32:41 AM »

No answers, but a few thoughts:

A 362.5:1 impedance step-down ratio? Sounds more like output (or possibly interstage) iron than mod iron. That's quite the ratio.

The 40-ohm secondary makes me think this might be output iron from a PA system. That's just a gut feeling, though, I have no facts to back that up.

With an output impedance that low, I doubt it was mod iron. Vacuum tube plate circuits have very high impedances, and most solid-state transmitters are pulse-width modulated (they also endeavor to get the output impedance as high as they can so things like solder blobs don't take on a huge electrical significance).

...for what that's worth.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 08:46:12 AM »

It says audio output transformer and it looks like that is what it is.  Probably from a big audio distribution/PA amplifier.  If you had a couple of them, could use back to back for a modulator for a tube-type RF stage, but 40 ohms is very low Z for use in a modulator.  I don't know if there might be a possible application for modulating a solid state RF stage, otherwise....good trading stock for maybe getting a more suitable transformer.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 09:24:47 AM »

You could use that transformer as is for a mod transformer by driving the 40 ohm side with a high powered solid state amplifier on the 70 volt tap. I would use a hysing reactor to keep DC off the transformer. You may have the makings of a very good AM rig here.  Grin

How much does that xformer weigh? If it's 40-50 pounds, it's good for at least 500 watts audio.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 12:04:50 PM »

It was used in a BC610 for a while with good results.  I am going to put it between my 810s and 4-400s. Maybe I will get lucky and it will work.  Its heavy... Probably more like 30 to 40 lbs though.

Clark
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 01:51:45 PM »

I am going to put it between my 810s and 4-400s. Maybe I will get lucky and it will work.
Clark

Are these separate amplifiers?

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 01:59:46 PM »

Yes.. pair of 810s as the modulators.  Two 4-400s as the Finals.  The old transformer is shorted. This trans was used  in a pinch on a BC610.  It sounded fine. Might not be ideal but it did work. I figured I could use it while I searched for a better Transformer. I found a couple but I cant afford them right now.  I already have a wooden cut out on the Mod deck for the old transformer.. I guess its worth a shot right?

Clark
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 02:34:48 PM »

I just don't know how that would work? How many ohms do you read on that so called 40 ohm tap?

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 02:46:08 PM »

This transformer was just identified.  It was used in an Airborn transmitter. THis transmitter used 4cx300Ys on the modulator. The person did not remember the model of the transmitter. Maybe someone else will.

It was used in a BC610 and ran fine for a year or so.  It seemed to handle the voltage just fine as we are at 1000FT:)

I guess its worth a shot.. The Ratio is wide.. but what the heck.. Its a 30 minute job to install it and another 30 minutes to set the rig up for testing.  I will load up the 4-400s at lower voltage and then add some drive from the 810s in.. I might get lucky

Clark
KE6DF

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 04:46:43 PM »

If it did work as a modulation transformer in a BC-610 then no way is the secondary impedance 40 ohms.

It might be good to feed a low 60hz voltage from a filament transformer into the primary and measure the voltage of the secondary. From that you can compute the turns ratio.

The square root of the of the primary to secondary impedance equals the primary to secondary turns ratio.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 08:28:30 PM »

Interesting.  But I found that it came out of a Transmitter with Two 4cx300Y tubes. I am trying to get the full information now but the part number jives. It is a modulation transformer. They used a choke or a Reactor on it though. Even the mounting is correct.

Eitherway.. It worked well in the BC610 and sounded fine. I better not try it.. If I do and it works you guys will never beleive me Smiley

Clark
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 09:27:38 PM »

Did you ever hear that BC-610? Even with a choke, it would not have worked in a conventional circuit. As far as not to believe you, I say damn  the torpedoes, full steam ahead! Often times in the past I was told somethings would not work, sometimes they were right, sometimes they were wrong. This is how we learn. So if it doesn't work, you learned something. If it does work, we'll scratch our heads and wonder why.   I just wish I had a transformer like that to mod a rig as I described a couple posts up the board. If I had a good modulation transformer to trade you, I would trade so I could use a solid state amplifier to modulate a high powered RF amplifier.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »

No I believe you.. I was just joking. 

Hmm.. Solid state drive.. Interesting.  I am not going to use it.

Clark
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 10:05:44 PM »

That got me thinking.. I have an 800 watt Peavy amplifier here.. It has the 70V output.  I could feed this amp with my mixer board.. then feed the 40ohm side like you said and this would hit the 4-400s.  That might work!

Clark
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 10:24:47 PM »

Well Clark, I don't have all the answers but it sounds like your kind of new to this. I don't know how much experience you have working with high voltage? If you are just a little unsure of what you are doing with HV, get someone there at your place to help you that really has built or repaired high powered equipment. Please don't be insulted by my suggestion. I rather you be pissed at me than dead.

We are all here to help.

Terry

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 01:30:36 AM »

10,000FT matches the 4CX300A's altitude rating. I found no "Y" datasheet. It is the primary impedance that is odd. The 4CX300 wants a lower impedance, even at 2500V the max volts for modulator service it wants 11K..

But it is possible the tubes were lightly loaded for reliability (lower max plate current) and so the power could have been about half the capacity, or maybe 250-500W. A pair of inexpensive 572B's would work with it and would like a 14K p-p load at 2500V if the power was kept within the xfmr's ratings.

2.4A@97VAC is 235W into 40 Ohms, and 340W is 2.9A@117VAC. - -hey there you go, a 340W sinewave inverter application to run your 400Hz stuff. - or, a WWV-stabilized 60Hz system for all the synchronous motor driven clocks and phono turntables in the house. They used to have something like that in the school so all the clocks would keep the exact same time. I thought the 4 6L6's in the wall-mounted box were the PA system till the maintenance man enightened me.

Just thinking about how to use the thing! Maybe set up a pile of 20 8-Ohm 20W PA horn speakers to make 40 Ohms and play a recording of gunfire on new years eve. Much safer than the usual live ammo practice. Or if you prefer, a recording of bells to ring in the new year, etc. whatever. but there are things to use it for if you are creative.

I'm not enthusiatic about using the high side for grid drive since the Z is rather high and if you draw grid current so there will be some regulation issues. if you don't want it, I can PM my address and will find a use somewhere.. nice piece of iron for sure.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 09:33:16 AM »

Hmmmmm............ is it possible that someone used it as an autotransformer for modulation.

HV fed to the center tap of the primary, one end hooked to the plate of one of the modulators, the other end hooked to the plate of the other modder AND also becoming the feed to the plate of the finals?? Also not having anything hooked to the secondary (40 ohm) terminals. I have seen similar circuits used in other military transmitters.

Just my $.02 worth.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 10:13:48 AM »

if you don't want it, I can PM my address and will find a use somewhere.. nice piece of iron for sure.

Wait a minute, I want to be first on the glomming list  Grin Grin

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 10:18:26 AM »

the other end hooked to the plate of the other modder AND also becoming the feed to the plate of the finals??

Me stinks you'll need a cap & a reactor for that to work and expect something less than 100 % mod.

KA1ZGC
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »

Ah-hah! I think you nailed it, Frank! That's the only configuration that would make sense. It would give you a 1:1 impedance ratio, DC-coupled for nice low-end response, and it would probably sound pretty good! My VM-4 is wired in 2:1 autotransformer service and works great that way.

I can't see that 40-ohm secondary being used in any tube circuit, except perhaps driving a cathode. There's just no way it would tolerate any high voltages. That transformer is designed to convert gallons of voltage into gallons of current.

Clark: I don't recommend you try using that secondary into any tube circuit. One problem you may encounter is voltage swings across any resistance in the secondary circuit being reflected back to the primary circuit. The step-up on the reflection could be enough to cause internal arcing, which would be the beginning of the end for that iron.

The 1:1 autotransformer is your best bet for hollow-state modulating hollow-state, or backfeed it for solid-state modulating hollow-state as Terry suggested.

It may have been used as mod iron, but it wasn't designed for that, so you'll need to apply it in one of these ways to make it work without damage to the transformer or transmitter.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 11:25:22 AM »

(40 ohm) terminals

These taps could have been used for side tone.

KE6DF

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 11:31:02 AM »

Another possible use might be to use it as a Heising reactor.

Just use the primary. It would be interesting to put a LC bridge on the primary and measure the inductance.

It has the high voltage specs for it.

Might not be a gaped core so you probably should try to measure the inductance with a DC load if you can.

W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 02:30:18 PM »

Hmmmmm............ is it possible that someone used it as an autotransformer for modulation.

HV fed to the center tap of the primary, one end hooked to the plate of one of the modulators, the other end hooked to the plate of the other modder AND also becoming the feed to the plate of the finals?? Also not having anything hooked to the secondary (40 ohm) terminals. I have seen similar circuits used in other military transmitters.

Just my $.02 worth.

The Slab Bacon

That sounds like a good plan Slab!  I think it might work.  Certainly worth a try.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 03:39:24 PM »

Depending if the voltage rating of the 40Ω winding, it could be wired in series with the line from one end of the primary to the final, and polarised so that it would be additive, thus giving a slight boost to the modulation percentage.  To get full 100% modulation, a better solution would be to use a series dropping resistor bypassed with a capacitor, as used to achieve 100% with classic Heising modulation. 

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 04:11:33 PM »

Just my $.02 worth.

The Slab Bacon

That's the way I believe Uniden did their AM only chassis for 11 meters....  At least, it seems the config resembles what your iteration came across as.

Theyalso had a secondary on there, which was quite wierd, until I read your post....  It was the feed for the speaker!

Maybe I should pay more attention to this dismissed as crap sometimes Smiley

--Shane
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015